Thursday, November 02, 2023

Autumn: normal service resumed

Since we came back from France on October the 22nd, life has reverted to the usual autumnal offering of wet, windy weather. We were blessed with some gorgeous sunny days down in the Haute-Marne, but it's true to say that the day before we left even the weather there changed and our drive home ended in ploughing through the back spray from speeding cars on the highway north to the Netherlands.

From that day on, it's been hard to find moments to walk Zoe without getting drenched. My poor little pup doesn't enjoy being wet, so even though I've got her a raincoat, she runs so close to ground, she's pretty much always  a soggy, mud-spattered sausage by the time we get home. This sad and sodden state is usually brightened somewhat by the great game of 'fight the towel'–a romp she enjoys with gusto – but it takes ages for her to dry, by which time we have to go out again and repeat the process.

Of course our dug-up road, which is still not finished, isn't helping matters. The company doing the work is supposed to have completed laying the new surface by the 10th of November, but owing to the daily downpours, they can't do much other than turn up every morning, inspect the sandy base, decide it's too wet and go away again. Sometimes, like today, they scrape the sand smooth and do a few more metres, but then the rain starts again and off they go.

Maybe I should explain why the process takes so long. Here in the Netherlands, almost everything is built on sand and that includes the roads. Being a country that was largely wrested from the sea, our soil lacks the kind of substance that 'real land' has. While the tarred main highways and through routes are constructed on solid bases of hardcore that has to be added to the sandy loam, our village street is made up of bricks laid straight onto sand. There is a layer of rubble-type material to give some firmness to the base, but  above that is thick, smooth sand onto which the bricks are laid in a sort of hounds-tooth pattern. It looks great when it's finished, but it takes forever to lay when the weather is inclement. The men tell us they cannot work on wet sand because it has no 'give', which seems to be important. I admire their skill, however. It's fascinating to watch them work so neatly and speedily when they have the chance.

The current status, but they still have about 300 metres to go


They first dug the road up at the end of August, two long months ago, but I honestly don't see them finishing it before the end of November. And so we trudge through our own personal beach every day, bringing mounds of it into the house every time we come in. Such is life.

Boat work has also reached a hiatus. There's nothing that can be done when it rains at least part of every day. My dearest wish would be to have something like a large boathouse where we could just work on under cover; wouldn't that be great? If anyone knows of one for hire in this area, do let me know.

By the way, I know I promised you all some more on the area around my daughter's new French home, but work has been very busy this last week, so I haven't had time to do any further research. Next time, I promise. For now, we're just waiting for storm Ciarán to move on. Like a hyper-active child on the rampage, he's made something of a mess on our country roads, but so far, no other damage. My thoughts are with all those on the French and British coasts who've taken the worst hammering.

That's it for this time then, allemaal, so here's a gratuitous photo of Zoe, courtesy of Koos, and a boaty pic or two to remind you of where my interests really lie.

Update on the storm: we've lost most of the edging tiles off one end of our roof, one of which also smashed the windscreen on Koos's scooter as it went flying. Fingers crossed Ciarán has finished with us now as we'll need to get up there and replace them asap.


On the tidal Schelde/Scheldt in April
What a wonderful trip that was





20 comments:

  1. This storm is really lingering. It was bad last night and all morning we've had lulls and surges, heavy showers etc. Stay safe and warm, Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awful, isn't it, Cath? It actually got much worse after I published this blog and we've lost several roof tiles, one of which smashed Koos's scooter windscreen. I really do hope it will calm down now, but the forecast isn't looking promising.

      Delete
  2. You made me laugh when recounting the tale of Zoe "fighting the towel", I remember having the same game with Suzi. Suzi had a long "skirt" and even if she would allow me to put her coat on her when it was raining I remember that after drying her, her "skirt" resembled a row of rats tails!
    I remember the floods of 1953 when our east coast and the Netherlands were flooded when the sea rose several metres above what would be just a high tide. It caused devastation, homes were flooded and over 300 people died in England, but over 1,800 lives were lost in the Netherlands. the Netherlands commenced on a huge flood protection scheme but not so much was done in England and now we're seeing widespread flooding of homes on a regular basis.
    The roadworks outside your home must be annoying, hope they get it done quite soon. And finally, what a lovely pic of Zoe. Take care, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I've read the stories about those 1953 floods and even a book about what happened in the Netherlands. As you say, the Dutch said 'never again' and built an impressive range of flood defences for which we remain incredibly grateful. I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding in Lincolnshire and the east coast. There's nothing more wretched than having your home filled with flood water. Sadly, we can't protect against the wind which is a scourge in this part of the world. The storm picked up strength after I posted this and we've lost several roof tiles as well as poor Koos's scooter screen which was smashed by one of the tiles as it few past. I can never understand why people say they enjoy storms; they cause so much misery and damage.

      As for spaniels in the rain, I laughed to think of Susie and her skirt in rats' tails. I trim Zoe's, but even so, she still gets into a terrible state when it's wet.

      Delete
    2. Oh and you take care too, David. It's not the weather to take risks. We've been checking on the boats this afternoon and the wind was awful on the canal. I insisted on both of us crawling over Vereeniging as one strong gust would have had us overboard. I would love to be staying on board, but it's simply not safe to get on and off at the moment.

      Delete
    3. Sounds very frightening, take care

      Delete
  3. Hi Val, thank you so much for your latest blog and I am so very sorry for the damage you have suffered to your home and Koos’ scooter. As you probably know this awful storm has caused so much damage and suffering on the Channel Islands and along the south coast of England. That half finished brick road is very attractive and hopefully it won’t be long before it is finally finished. Poor little Zoe, I feel so sorry for her. It must be miserable for her getting so wet so often.
    Take care and do keep warm and dry. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, thank you for reading my blog. Yes, the Channel Islands have had a terrible time. Just awful for them. How have you been? I saw Wales was also in the path of the storm and that southwest England has had it badly too. It’s so destructive, i feel so sorry for those people.

      Delete
  4. Indeed we’ve been following this storm from our side of the world. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's all part of autumn, but yes, it is a pain, and for some people much worse than that.

      Delete
  5. Val, I love the fact that Zoe has a raincoat! I've read about the effects of Storm Ciaron. I hope if passes soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. The storm doesn't seem to be over just yet. Italy's been getting it in the last few days. We are back to just rain and normal wind now. Such is autumn in Europe.

      Delete
  6. The storm sounds ferocious! Glad everyone is ok and safe but the damage is very annoying. Like you, we have been loving the rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain of the past month or so. So much so, I have cancelled attendance at an outdoor event tomorrow as it will be a relentless tail-end to the joy that Storm Ciarán has been. I hope your road gets fixed by the end of the century! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As autumn storms go, it's been pretty wild, although I can definitely remember worse storms. Mind you, perception depends very much on where you are and how much damage you have suffered. The year a tree came down on my barge still rates as the worst I can remember, but that might just be personal. Sorry you've had to cancel an event, but I think everyone is best off staying indoors this weekend!

      Delete
    2. Not sure why I am Anonymous, but I am not really... Tree on barge sounds terrible!

      Delete
    3. Ah, thank you, Aidan! Yes, the tree was a nasty blow...so to speak!

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to hear you have lost tiles off your roof in the storm! That can be an exensive repair. A pity about the windscreen on Koos's scooter. This stormy weather has been awful. There's been a lot of damage caused by flooding in Scotland too. I can hardly remember such relentless rain! Fingers crossed that's it for a while and that your road work gets completed fairly soon. I love that pic of sleepy Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. I think all of us had had it with the rain and wind by now. I'm so sorry you've had a lot of damage there too. It's been a real trial, hasn't it? Zoe, bless her, sleeps through as much as it as possibly, sensible little dog! :D

      Delete
  8. Interesting about how they build roads in the Netherlands. I hadn't really thought of that but every now and then I am brought up short by the practical issues about living there. Being largely below sea level is another one. I wonder if Zoe is unusual in not liking the rain. I know cats don't but I never thought about dogs, just assumed they were fine, so I am glad you thought to get a little raincoat for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. I've been fascinated by watching the road building here. I think they are constantly allowing for shifts in the sandy base, but I'm not really sure why they build roads this way. I don't think Zoe is particularly unusual in disliking the rain as dogs go, but for a spaniel, it's odd that she dislikes being wet so much. They're supposed to be water dogs!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)