Monday, October 23, 2023

Further forays into France

In September, you might remember we made a trip into the southern Champagne region of France to see the house my daughter has bought in the Haute-Marne department. We were struck then by the loveliness of the area, but now we've just spent a full week there, it has struck us even more. 

Koos and I drove down on October the 15th, a month to the day after our previous visit. This time, we went in our own car, our venerable 28-year-old Opel Astra, which cruised sweetly through the rolling French countryside as if it enjoyed stretching its wheels. There's no denying it's quite a long drive at approximately 500km, but it's not a hard one. The most taxing part is around Lille, which encompasses a huge urban sprawl, but we were able to escape most of that by ducking a bit east and following the road around Tournai. After that, there's a relatively short stretch of the A1 to Paris before we turned off onto the A26 south to Reims. I must say I was highly entertained by our Google maps lady (whom I named Karen), telling us to take the exit onto the A26 and just stay on it for 157km. As soon as she said that, she shut up and went to sleep until we reached the ring road around Reims.

I've never been much of a fan of these Satnav apps before, but I was very grateful to Karen on this trip. She was very useful everywhere except in the city of Chaumont, the capital of Haute-Marne, where she definitely got several wires crossed and had us going down a tiny track we could barely find a way to extract ourselves from. After that, she got in a total tizz and we had to switch her off to recover herself. But apart from this brief fit, she was a tower of strength and led us not only to my daughter's village, but also to Joinville, the Marne river and various other locations in this stunning part of France.

For most of the week, we stayed local, as we were there to help with the house and start cleaning the junk of ages from the barn and workrooms attached to the house. There's a lot of clearing up to do, some roof repairs needed and some serious decorating to be done, but the house itself is perfectly fine. While a bit cold and lacking in creature comforts, we were all grateful for the furniture that had been left behind. But even that mattered little when given the lovely environs, kind people and tranquillity of the farmlands around the village.

The French have not had the best reputation when it comes to welcoming strangers in their midst, but Haute-Marne has to be the greatest exception to this (underserved, in my opinion) rule. The villagers are warm, welcoming and very friendly. We've had lovely exchanges with many of them, but the absolute highlight for me was our visit to the local council offices (the Mairie). My daughter is at the early stages of learning French, but they were so kind and so encouraging when she explained what she was there for. The mayor himself joined in, asking her which house she'd bought, and when she told him, he was full of congratulations. It really was a joy to experience.

As for our brief excursions, Joinville is a beautiful town on the Marne and still more attractive to us because of its parallel canal. It reminded me of a mini Seville, with its narrow streets and ancient, shuttered houses. Chaumont, on the other hand, is an impressive city with a jaw-dropping railway viaduct. Set on a steep hill with its basilica at the top, it overlooks the Marne valley with stupendous views. Unfortunately, the afternoon we went there, it was rainy and overcast, but I can imagine the scenery and the city are stunning on a sunny day.

Here are a few of the photos I took:


The canal through Joinville

Lovely traditional blue shutters on the houses

A park next to the canal in Joinville

Joinville

Restful tranquillity in the Joinville park

Joinville
The canal between Champagne and Burgundy at
Gudmont
Gudmont in the commune of Villiers
The railway viaduct at Chaumont
Looking through the viaduct at Chaumont


Altogether, it was quite an intense but very enjoyable week in the heart of France's Grand Est region. We'll definitely be spending more time there in future. There is so much history and so much beauty in the area. I haven't even mentioned any of it here, but there will be more to come, that's for sure.

Have a good week allemaal, and I'll fill you in on some of the history we encountered next time.




30 comments:

  1. With all the canals, it looks like you can take your canal boat up to visit next time, can't you, Val? It looks so peaceful all around there. How lovely for Mo to have moved there. Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley. Yes, we could certainly get quite close to her by boat. The nearest mooring is about 10 km from her house. A hop and a skip, relatively speaking.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post, Val. I don't think the French deserve the 'unwelcoming' tag either. When my sister-in-law lived in the VendΓ© area she couldn't have been more welcome in her village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we’ll have to rewrite that unfriendly reputation book, Cath. It’s so untrue! I’m glad you enjoyed the post. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Val, Thank you for taking us along to the Grand Est region of France. Happy to hear that your Opel Astra held up as you two motored down.Thank goodness for Karen though she did get sidetracked once. As always, your great photography is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Lynn. Yes, our old car is such a wonderful workhorse. It never missed a beat. 😊

      Delete
  4. Loved your blog as always, Val. What a beautiful place. Thank you for taking us on your journey, I'm not surprised you love it so much. I have a sneaky suspicion you might be using that canal one day. Faring to Joinville has a lovely ring to it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Beth. Than you for reading it. It’s yet another beautiful part of France. Such fabulous countryside.

      Delete
    2. Oh and yes, we have definite ideas about faring that beautiful canal. 😊

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you're falling in love with the area, Val. I sense another memoir brewing. I do hope so! xx

      Delete
    4. Aah, well maybe, Beth, but not just yet. We still have to get to know the area and the people, as well as the waterways. The first impressions have been wonderful, though. Definitely worth a few blog posts! :)

      Delete
  5. Fantastic, Val! Congrats to Mo. And thank you for sharing the lovley photos. And as for Karen--Yay! Way to go, Karen! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always, Steph! I’m so glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  6. Just loved your blog Val sounds idilic I’m looking forward to further visits to Mo’s house .
    Mo’s very adventurous to move to France πŸ‡«πŸ‡· and learn a whole new language and culture bless her, but I shouldn’t be surprised it’s a spirit that runs in the family
    Can’t wait for updates 😝♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I’m really pleased you enjoyed it. You’re right, though. The spirit of adventure does run quite strongly in the family’s veins. πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  7. Hi Val - finally caught up ... this is wonderful isn't it - going to visit your daughter here ... a change - can you get there by canal? Looking forward to more history ... and sat nav - I might be inclined to use if I was in your situation ... I tend to rely on 'luck'!! and some common sense - though in French - it'd be difficile ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, thank you SO much for catching up with all my posts! You put me to shame! Yes, we could get there by canal and we hope to do so in the coming year. That would be a grand adventure! I’d never used the satnav feature before. Like you, I tend to rely on luck...or real maps, but this time, I was very grateful we had it.

      Delete
  8. An adventure of a different kind for you. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. And good luck to your daughter in her new house. You really are an adventurous lot! Lol πŸ˜†

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Brenda, being adventurous must run in our family. This is definitely a grand adventure for my daughter. πŸ˜„ Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  9. It looks like you had a wonderful trip, and to a beautiful part of France. Joinville looks gorgeous, and I too can imagine you faring there one of these days. The viaduct is so beautiful, and what a great photo looking through it. Love the reflection of the bridge too. Satnavs can go rogue sometimes: it has happened to us too on our travels. Glad you sorted it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely trip, Trish. It’s been such a wonderful discovery for us. Of course, all of France is beautiful, but I didn’t know this region at all before, and it’s not so very far, which makes more frequent trips there quite likely.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely blog Val, I did have a chuckle at the Sat Nav Karen, they are very useful but can also as you've discovered, lead you astray. Your photos are just beautiful, no wonder your daughter was tempted to buy a house there. I'm looking forward to hearing more of this delightful area. I'm sure you will be faring there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. Yes, poor Karen threatened to have a digital meltdown, but we left her in peace for a bit to recover. πŸ˜‚ I am holding thumbs we can fare there too!

      Delete
  11. I scanned quickly thro' this post on Monday until I could give a little more time to enjoy it. Today I have Popcorn on my knee and a cup of tea so have enjoyed reading your descriptions of this lovely area. I admire your natural & free flowing style of story telling.
    The photo's are great, I agree the railway viaduct is impressive and your view through the arches very dramatic. Looking forward to more episodes and pictures. David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, David. I am so pleased you enjoyed the journey. I’m often conscious that my blogs are a bit long so it’s a relief to know you like reading them. I’ll definitely be writing more about the area soon!

      Delete
  12. Loved your pictures and thank you for the tour of Joinville. Congratulations to your daughter for moving there, now that's a reason for you to visit more often. Lucky for us, we'll see more of the town from your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Mitos. I’m so pleased you enjoyed our adventure! I’ll be writing more about the area soon. Xx

      Delete
  13. How fabulous! What a beautiful place. 🀩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Aidan. Very special and quite different from our busy part of the world.

      Delete
    2. Quite jealous (as usual). 😁

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)