Thursday, June 27, 2024

The great unread

Unread emails are the bane of my life. Does anyone else have this problem? I've just cleaned up nearly 500 of them from one of my email inboxes and the other one still has 498 (down from 800).

I don't think I'm alone in having several email addresses, although I admit I might have more than many. At the last count it was five that I use regularly, plus the ones that you get automatically when you have a phone contract but only use to find the company's invoices. I used to have more but now I work for fewer organisations I don't need to have a specific email for all of them. But I still have two for my teaching work, one for private and family use, one for internet use and another for my writing. And you know what? I get spammed in all of them; even the university email is full of junk. It's unbelievable. In fact, while I was clearing down my main gmail account, more spam was coming through.

The problem, I find, is that I do most of my shopping and business online, so the moment you provide businesses with your email address, they find reasons to flood you with special offers, newsletters and advertising in general. No matter that I haven't ticked any boxes saying they could do this... or maybe I have, inadvertently. Anyway, what happens is that even if I have accepted their terms, I rarely have time to read or look at the mails, so they just sit there.

I think Amazon is the worst. I'm both a customer and an author, so they send me around a dozen emails every day offering me books I don't want to read, or sending me order confirmations for those I do. Add to that all the author advice and notices, I can't see the wood for the Amazon trees (sorry 😄).

The other culprit is Wordpress, the blogging platform. They seem to be convinced I need to upgrade my account to a paid platform, and I daily receive notifications of discounts, pleas for me to upgrade and newsletters listing reasons for me to do so. I only use Wordpress to post reviews for the memoirs I read (the link is here if anyone's interested), so I keep it very simple, but in truth I find WP very complicated and not user-friendly at all, and I have zero desire to use it for anything else. They're also quite restrictive as to who can comment. You have to have a WP account to interact with other people on their blogs, which is a real downside. At least with Blogger, we have the Anonymous option and if commenters use that and give their name in the comment box, all is well.

Anyway, that's what has been occupying my time this evening while I've been relaxing in the wonderful but unaccustomed heat of the last few days. Summer has arrived at last and has swept in with a flourish leaving us gasping from the contrast with last week's 13C to yesterday's 30C. Sadly, it was a bit too hot to work outside, so I wouldn't mind it being tempered just a tad so I can paint my barge. It's not much to ask, is it? Still, I'm not really complaining and I genuinely hope the coming weeks will give us more of the same. We have these plans to go faring, you see (ref last post).

Here are a few photos to make up (I hope) for such a mundane blog:

Zoe enjoying yesterday's balmy evening

Before the weather change

The wind that blew away the rain

My garden is in bloom at last

A local park; always beautiful
but especially in sunshine

Enjoy the rest of your week allemaal and I'll be back with more real news later... I hope!



20 comments:

  1. You write, " but in truth I find WP very complicated and not user-friendly at all, " and that makes me sigh hugely with relief: You too? Thank Goodness it's not only me. Nightmare! It never used to be, either. Real pity, that.

    You deserve a medal for all the work you do, so consider yourself awarded one from me, and not just because you have answered a bugbear that has been sitting on my shoulders for a while now... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, thank you for commenting and even more for the award. But I feel humbled that you, who have a lot to deal with, should think so. 😘
      As for WP, I’m glad that I’m not the only one as well. As you say, it used to be so much easier, but I can’t get my head round its complexities now.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, the everlasting hunt for inbox zero - a mythic level of email efficiency that very few achieve!
    Beautiful piccies though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I’m glad you like them, 😘

      Delete
  3. Yes, indeed. It must be a monster task to clear out your emails. I have one I use every day, one I forget about for weeks to months at a time - and another one that the editor of the publishing company I was with in 2012 insisted I get - and have completely lost! I have no idea how to even get to it at this point. However, I love, love, love your weather. We have 12 C, rain and wind...freezing to me! Have a great trip. God bless. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, you are blessed to have an email you can’t get into. 😆
      I’m looking forward to trimming mine down, but I still need them for all the different functions. I do hope your weather cheers up soon. 12C is not funny for June! Xx

      Delete
  4. My husband's email box is crammed full! I obviously have more time on my hands than you, Val, because I make a point of deleting the rubbish as soon as it appears and unsubscribing from shopping channels that, as you say, inundate us with promotional emails. It's a bind, I agree, but good that you can relax in the sun while you're dealing with it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Brenda, I think it’s a case of you’re more on top of things and efficient than I am. My trouble is that some of these shopping channels are ones that I buy from regularly too, so I don’t want to unsubscribe from them; I just don’t want so many emails from them. I mean even when I buy something, I’ll get about four emails in a row: one to confirm my order, another to tell me it’s being processed, another that says they’ll mail me when it’s dispatched and a further one sending me an invoice for what I’ve ordered. Unreal! 😄

      Delete
  5. I love 'before the weather change'!!

    I do get a lot of rubbish but they go directly into junk mail, most of them; is there a thing on your email where you can move stuff and click 'always move emails from Wordpress to junk'? or whatever?

    I have Outlook (hotmail) (I have a gmail too but don't use it, only for when I need an alternative), and you can direct it so that everything you don't want to actually look at is directed into 'Other', ie, the secondary inbox!!!! Then every so often I might take a quick look and if nothing catches my eye that I might want to actually read, I 'delete all', which is surely one of the most cathartic internet options ever invented!!!!!

    For stuff I actually need or want to read, I have folders entitled 'Shopping' 'eBay' 'PayPal' 'Must keep' or anything to do with, for instance, an upcoming visit, like 'Northampton Oct 24'. I do my 'filing' most days!!!!! I suppose you having lots of different emails is the equivalent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, I have to mark someone or a company as a safe sender before it comes into my email, so that’s a bit of a filter, but if I’ve once accepted a company because I’ve done business with them or I want notifications about something, I then get everything in my inbox. It’s hard to distinguish between the mails I need and want to read and those that are just spam at times. My junk mail folder gets most of it, but I need to keep on top of what’s in my inbox more effectively. It’s a bind, though. 🙄

      Delete
    2. Glad you liked the weather pic. I love that one too. Xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely pictures, Val. Summer at it's height. Cooling off here today which I don't mind as I'm too pale and northern European for strong sun.
    Email is a curse! I've managed to get down to 7 accounts, two of which I haven't checked for about a year. I'm presuming it's becasue we have so many different hats? 😕
    Enjoy your trip! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s it, Aidan. Having so many different hats drives up the volume of junk. It’s cooler here now too. I hope you get some good walks in!

      Delete
  7. Hello Vallypee - Dealing with multiple inboxes can be quite a challenge. Problem of spam is another.
    I have an official email ID, a personal one, and one for my blog. Apart from those three, there are two more, but I don't use them often.
    The email ID for my blog is connected to the personal one. So, I have to keep track of only two - the official and the personal. I ensure that I clear the inbox every day. Important mails moved to relevant folders or deleted.
    Glad to know summer is finally arrived. Hopefully, the weather will calm down so you can enjoy the summer heat and focus on getting your barge painting done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pradeep. You sound well organised. I need to keep ont op of things more, I can see.

      Delete
  8. I guess I have to comment anonymously here because Blogger isn't accepting my Google account stats that I've been entering several times. So, I give up.
    For many years I was also an active member on Blogspot until the take over, which was when I had the option of deleting everything. And I did. I don't even remember who took it over, exactly, but it seems to have gone East somewhere with Multiply and Yahoo360.

    My husband is a web designer now retired, excepting the few straggler jobs he accepts from musician friends, an old music promoter of the province, and the few he still knows with local cultural and language learning sites. Some of these individuals have been using Word Press too, a site which I once used too. And from him I now hear of all the frustrations while transferring and updating files with WP. It appears a very inflexible program that is not at all user friendly. So, best of luck with all your dealings with it.

    And, yes, the weather is gorgeous and grand. We're seeing sun again in the rain soaked lowlands - yay. -- Sherry Gallagher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, thank you for commenting despite the frustrations. Blogger is owned by Google now, so your ID should have been accepted, but sometimes it’s the settings on your browser that prevent comments. You have to enable cross-tracking, it seems. Anyway, yes, Wordpress is really difficult, so I just use it in its most basic form. Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Val. That explains a lot, as Google is based all over the world. When I was teaching in Beijing there was some stink about Google's wanting to relocate to Hong Kong and have more relaxed restrictions. But, as far as I know, there are still bases in Beijing, Shanghi and Hong Kong, as well as the HQ still in California and NY. It's a global eyesore, that's for sure ... and that we're all now so dependent on, as well...ugh

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos Val, so pleased that summer has arrived at last - a nice glass of wine time in the warm evening sun!

    I get a bit of junk mail - mainly from my gmail address but it gets sent to Spam and I just delete it. I use DuckDuckGo which stops a lot of trackers. I rarely get emails from Amazon suggesting books though - have you tried clicking "Unsubscribe" at the top of emails when these sort of emails land? They should honour that if you click on "Unsubscribe" links. Dawn. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn, thank you! I do use the unsubscribe button quite often, but with Amazon I use several of their sites to buy things, so I get emails from each one regarding my purchases and the books they think I will like. I may end up sending it all to junk mail soon, though. 😆

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)