Thursday, December 17, 2020

The artistic skipper

Some readers of this blog will already know that Koos, my partner, is the son of a commercial barge skipper and that it was his childhood on the waterways that inspired me to write my novel, The Skipper's Child, a story about a similar barge family. Now, although the influence his barge background had on my book was intentional, what I didn't know when I wrote it was that his father was artistic, a talent he must have passed to his son. After all, Koos's special photographic view on the world, especially that of old industry in eastern Europe has more than a few admirers. 

Anyway, going back to father Fernhout, it's not the usual idea one has of a skipper, is it? Well, not mine, anyway. I'd never have envisaged a barge owner sitting on deck with a sketchpad and pencil drawing the views around him, or making studies of birds and people. I don't know why, but it just doesn't fit my general image of the working barge world. As a result, you can imagine it came as a huge surprise to me when at one family birthday party, Koos's sister (who is ten years his senior) produced two sketchbooks full of charming pencil and charcoal drawings all done by their father.

I think even Koos had forgotten about them, but when going through the books, he realised some of the more elementary drawings were probably his own early artistic explorations. Hendricus Fernhout usually signed his drawings with distinctive initials and the date, but these were lacking on some of the pictures, suggesting he was only too ready to encourage his son.

Below are some of my favourites of the drawings and I hope you'll agree they are really lovely.


Maastricht in charcoal



The title here is 'filosoof' (philosopher) showing
the gentle humour that was characteristic of Hendricus

Rotterdam's Koningshavenbrug De Hef

The family's barge


Ijssel brug, Kampen


In some ways I wish I'd known about his artistic leanings when I wrote The Skipper's Child. It would have given my 'papa,' Hendrik Kornet, another dimension. But then it's also added to my inspiration for the next novel I want to write: a story that will be built around a young barge skipper during the war. I rather like the idea of a somewhat dreamy, idealistic and arty bargee, don't you? So maybe it's not such a bad thing I was ignorant of this aspect of his personality.

Lastly, I don't really like pushing my books on my blog here, but if anyone does happen to be interested in my novel, there's a link here if you'd like to take a look. It's very much a cat and mouse suspense story, but it's suited to all ages, from ten to...well, let's say plenty! 

Have a lovely weekend allemaal and I'll try and do another post before Christmas and fill it with good Christmas cheer.



30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Aren't they, Carol? I was very taken with them too.

      Delete
  2. It probably won't surprise you that I loved this, Val. The combination of words and artworks wordartworks for me.
    James Ember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James, and if you're inspired to write one of your word plays in verse about any of these drawings, I would love to to see your wordartwork.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful drawings And What an exciting find !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they, Alyson! Thank you! As an artist yourself, I'm so pleased you like them too :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! What depth, drama, peace, and alive feeling are embodied in those lovely sketches! And what a great idea for another book! Thanks for sharing this, Val. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. Yes, I agree. They are lovely, vibrant sketches. At least I have a precedent for my arty skipper when he comes to fruition :)

      Delete
  5. What a delightful read, VAl! Gosh, Koos father was incredibly talented, thank goodness you have these remarkable sketches to remember him by. I think your idea of a novel about a young barge skipper during the war is such a good idea, go for it! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it’s in the family, Beth, but it was still a surprise. I’m so pleased his sister kept the drawings and I’m glad you like them too! What I need now is time to write the story. :)

      Delete
  6. This is so interesting! Love the drawings!

    I think we discover some things when they're meant to be discovered. Fascinating. Thank you for writing this blog and sharing the story! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisette. You could be right about the timing!

      Delete
  7. I love those sketches, such fine detail, and yes, it's just as well you didn't add this dimension to your previous book. Each new inspiration in our lives produces yet another story idea and I'm sure this will fit in extremely well for a wartime character. I've seen a lot of wartime artwork and each piece holds a special poignancy, especially Holocaust art. Have a lovely Christmas, Val x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ros, that’s a lovely confirmation of what I feel too. Have a lovely Christmas and New Year from me as well!

      Delete
  8. Val, they're gorgeous. I love the third one down and the one underneath 'the family barge' - I like the more simple ones, where you can actually see the pencil work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so pleased you like them TT. I’m quite smitten by my image of Hendricus Fernhout and his sketchpad now.yes, the simple ones are especially lovely, I agree.

      Delete
  9. Val, life is full of surprises! And what a lovely surprise this was to learn about Koos' father's art. They really give a peep into the life of a bargee. In regards to your thoughts about not visualizing a skipper being artistic. From my experience in transport and military I had many hours of "downtime" when I could have spent it doing some art, or knitting for that matter. I actually read. But there are many periods when one is waiting for a load or to be loaded, or while waiting to pass through frontier customs or just completely idle while snarled in traffic. You can imagine the hours the barges had to wait their turn to pass through the once very busy locks or at anchor waiting for a berth to be loaded. There's a saying in the military that 99% of the time is spent waiting/boring and the other 1% is when you wished you were still waiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment, Colin. It’s so true. The waiting time would have given plenty of opportunity for artistic expression. I would have been a reader too, but I know my own father would have been a sketcher.

      Delete
  10. Superb drawings, Val. So atmospheric and really capture the atmosphere of the waterways. What a talented family they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pedro. Yes, a talented family indeed. I think art is embedded in the family, though. There are a few famous Fernhouts as well, but I just never knew Koos’s talent came from so close to the tree :)

      Delete
  11. What delightful drawings Val and a wonderful story. What a talented family they all are. My Maternal Grandfather unsed to draw wonderful drawings of Disney characters for me as a child. Unfortunately they are no longer around. I was not allowed to take them home and years later his second wife destroyed them all. She was very jealous of our relationship.
    Thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, how sad that is! What a shame you couldn’t keep those lovely memories. I was so thrilled to see these drawings and I just hope that when the time comes, the family will keep the books. They are precious indeed.

      Delete
  12. These are such lovely, evocative pictures! Thank you for posting them. They are so atmospheric, and the perspectives are perfect... So much more interesting, somehow, than photographs, because they translate the vision of the eye, through the hand onto the paper in a unique way. Absolutely lovely! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you, Fran. You've put it perfectly. Thank you for your lovely, perceptive comment!

      Delete
  13. What a lovely set of discoveries, Val. The drawings are superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Roger. I'm glad you like them too. :)

      Delete
  14. Thans a lot Val, so nice to get another peek into the soul of the only grandparent I never new! De filosoof is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Kasper, how lovely of you to comment. I'm glad you like the post and the photos. I have the feeling your grandfather was a very special person. I wish I'd known him too.

      Delete
  15. I fully agree, Vallypee. Lovely drawings. Wish you good luck with the new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely, aren't they? Many thanks for the comment and the good wishes, Pradeep. That's kind of you.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)