Sunday, November 29, 2020

Moving experiences

I'm struggling a little at the moment. There's so much to do and yet so little of real note to report that I'm sometimes hesitant to write another blog post when everything seems so kind of 'samey'.

This past month has been a particularly hectic work month and I've had little time to indulge in social interaction of any kind, let alone social media. In the meantime, we're scooting up and down between Zeeland and Rotterdam attending to two boats between my online lessons (in Zeeland) and my face-to-face classes (in Rotterdam and Dordrecht). 

In Rotterdam, the council decided to replace the mooring poles in our harbour with new ones, so several of us had to move from our usual positions. Such upheavals are always inconvenient, but in a way, they also give us a change of scene which can be refreshing. Even having the light coming in from a different angle makes a difference... that's if the sun shines at all. For our part, we had to move the Vereeniging to the other side of the harbour and it was lovely to see her in a different setting.


The only downsides were firstly that the internet connection was almost non-existent and very erratic, and the second was the discovery that the stern gland was leaking, something that happens if you only start the engine and move once in a while. The solution for the first problem hasn't been solved as yet, and as for the leaky gland, Koos has tightened it and I've mopped up all the water that came through, but we'll have to see what happens next week when we move back again. There's always something with boats, especially very elderly ones.

Back in Zeeland again, it's become very cold but yesterday, Koos and I worked on the Hennie H. The cooling system is still a not-quite-resolved issue, but Koos is getting there. As for me, I cut out a section of the interior wooden panelling that was totally rotten as a consequence of a leaking window. I'm happy that I've started on that because it's given me a winter project to occupy me and take my mind of the fact we won't be going to Portugal in January as planned.

Which brings me to the sad fact that due to the current situation with COv (as I call it), the airlines aren't getting the numbers they need to fill the flights. We'd booked to leave from Rotterdam on January the 14th on a flight to Faro. Last week, Transavia wrote and informed me they'd cancelled that flight and offered me an alternative a day earlier from Amsterdam. Well, there were three problems with that: my work commitments, the extra travel time to Amsterdam and the extra night's accommodation in Portugal. And this was just the beginning, I'm sure. When Koos booked to go to Bulgaria in October, they changed his flight three times before he eventually decided it was too much, especially with the quarantine requirements. With that as history, we decided it would be best just to cancel and postpone the trip until later. Sun therapy will have to find another form this year, but hopefully we can go a bit later when the situation has settled. 

What else is there? Well, as they say, little things please little minds. At our crumbly cottage we have a new neighbour. The Polish family who moved in earlier in the year moved out again at the end of August, finally realising that five people in a one person cottage was really beyond reasonable squeezing point. The little house remained empty for a few months, but has recently been let to a single woman. All well and good and much more suited to the size of the house... at least, that's what we thought anyway.

We don't know her yet at all, so this is absolutely no reflection on her character or person but we've been totally fascinated by the amount of stuff she has moved into this tiny house. It reminds me of Mary Poppins' handbag, except it's all been going in, not coming out. Firstly, there were numerous small van loads of boxes and bags, and I mean numerous – dozens, in fact; our other neighbour has been helping her (still is) and for a time he was beginning to bear a strong resemblance to an ant as he scurried to and fro. Then followed a big van with furniture and still more small van loads; the ant was back with friends. Well, we thought it would end there, but for the past couple of weekends, more and more stuff has arrived in a seemingly endless stream and even today when she finally moved in, there were still bags and boxes being carried in. Just as a joke, Koos threatened to go and ask her when her real furniture was going to arrive.

It's hard to fathom where it's all going to go and I hope that she can fit herself in between her mountains of belongings. And how did they get everything up the stairs, which are so narrow and steep, our previous neighbour didn’t even use the bedroom? I’m still playing with that puzzle. Luckily, the new tenant is tall and slim, so she should be able to slip between the gaps easily enough, but it's given us some good entertainment value. But what is it about this tiny house that attracts people to cram it full to the gunwales? We'll have to wait and see, but for now, her move has made all of ours look modest in the extreme.

Have a good week allemaal. Here are some photos of yesterday's brief visit by the sun during our afternoon walk.







15 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your boat and travel problems, I think it's all around-maybe not the boat. I have missed a trip to Vancouver which wasn't as much a loss as it was for the beautiful couple and cancellation of their wedding. We have another home in the mountains of North Carolina and we simply can't risk a flight right now. I'm trying to be a trooper and think of Covid as a pause in our lives, though much worse for those who have lost their loved ones.

    Life sounds very busy for you and I so enjoy your posts! Your work seems non~stop. I was laughing as you described your new neighbor. Perhaps when you know her better you'll come to find out why she has so many possessions. It's a bit fun guessing; Did she inherit the belongings of a long lost uncle? Did she abandon a previous life and take everything but the cat? Keep your eyes open and maybe dust off the old binoculars!

    All the best,

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Jane, and thank you for your kind comment! Yes, being a trooper is what we'll all have to work at, isn't it? A pause in our lives is a good way of looking at it. Patience has never been my strong suit, but I'm working at it :) I'm glad you enjoyed the neighbour story. Watching the comings (and the goings) has kept us entertained for weeks now and we've had a good chuckle about it. I'm looking forward to getting to know her now!:))

      Delete
  2. February or March are lovely times for the Algarve. Maybe you have time then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizanne, thank you. Yes, I've been in early April before and it was lovely, so maybe we can get some time then. Fingers crossed! I'll miss it for sure but all the potential problems stacked up and made it too difficult.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos and I'm fascinated by your life on a boat. Seems as if all plans get altered or cancelled. We've given up and decided to complete projects as well. David is replacing and making new bird boxes for the garden - I'm just writing, and trying to get enthusiastic about social media and promoting books. Everyone in the family is getting books for Christmas (not mine, they have already "stolen" copies of all mine!) I think your new tenant is a hoarder of ;things that might come in useful', Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my 'nuch' blog , Judith :) I'm also going to be giving books out for Christmas...not mine as well! Someone I know said that this is the year for taking stock and pausing. I think that's a good, positive angle on what might otherwise be frustration, so I'm trying to see the upside of our cancelled trip. Yes, I think you're right about our neighbour being a hoarder. I'm looking forward to meeting her now! We've had such a laugh watching her move in.

      Delete
  4. There is something rotten to be said for vehicle under-use; I had to replace the brakes in my new (to me) truck, because it sat all winter waiting for camping season to begin. However, I hope Koos is able to keep your glands in good working order...
    Too bad you will have to miss your escape to the warmer climes. However, I am not sure if I'd want to board a plane these days. Sit tight and, before you know it, spring will be just around the corner!
    I love small living spaces, and I am an expert in engineering when it comes to cramming as much as I can into tiny places. I laud your new neighbour!
    Lovely fallish-looking photos, too, Val! I can feel the cold beginning to creep in, just by the angle of the light. You indeed live in a watery way!
    Keep warm and cosy (I saw the pic of your decadent slippers...) and have a lovely week. Please give my best to Koos, as well.
    Much love from our friend, Dale xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Dale. I laughed at the idea of Koos keeping my glands in working order, but yes, vehicles like to be used, don't they? I didn't mind the idea of flying mainly because I knew the plane was unlikely to be full, but I guess the airline decided that to take off with just Koos and me on board wasn't really viable :) As soon as I know our neighbour well enough, I'll give her your praise. Thank you, dear, and love to you and yours too XXX

      Delete
  5. Oh, Val! What power you have with words and what great ability to give interest and fascination to everything you write about! I will be happily thinking about your mystery neighbor and attempting to figure out where everything she moved in went once it got there! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Steph, that's a good cure for insomnia, isn't it? I should do that when I can't sleep :)

      Delete
  6. I love the photos, Val. I wish our skies were like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish ours still were, Roger. It's been miserable this week. We had that one day, but I do hope there'll be a few more! We should all do a sun dance :)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post Val, thank you. You have a wonderful way with words and your descriptions bring everything to life.
    Sorry to hear you are still having some boat problems. What a pain.
    I feel for you not being able to go to get your sun fix in January, air travel has certainty been affected badly this year.
    Oh dear it sounds as if your new neighbours little cottage will be bursting at the seams. I think I kept my neighbours entertained for a few weeks before our move. I seemed to have a constant stream of visitors and none left empty handed. I had advertised 2/3rds of our furniture for sale and yes, it all went.
    Love your pictures and think we could all do with a bit of blue sky at the moment.
    Stay safe and well and take care of each other. Love and hugs to you and Koos ❤💙 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, I'm so ashamed I missed this. I've been very tied up with work recently, so stopped checking the comments. How lovely of you to write such a long comment here. I'd love to have seen your stream of goods moving out, rather than in! Big hugs to you and I hope you're settling in!

      Delete
  8. Aww..what a lovely post! I enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)