Monday, November 16, 2020

Flamingos and flowers


Well, here it is. Another two weeks since I last posted a blog. The speed at which the time seems to fly past is really quite phenomenal. Admittedly, work is taking up much of my time at the moment. I wish I could say I'd been somewhere interesting, or even cycled somewhere new. But my pedalling activities have ground to a slushy halt because of the rain and wind we've been having since last weekend. I'm not a stoic when it comes to two wheels – not anymore, although time was when I'd cycle through rain, wind and snow. Even I find that hard to believe now, but it's true. 

The only things I can really report on are somewhat random. One thing I forgot (I think) to mention last time was that one of my daughters had her birthday at the end of October. However, because it was just after increased restrictions came in and we couldn't have an indoor party, we decided to have a picnic. Just my two girls and me. It was actually great. Despite being windy and blustery, the three of us met at a harbour in Zeeland close to a spot where flamingos gather. Yes, I did say flamingos, and no, they aren't put there for show. They come to Battenoord Haven on the Grevelingenmeer every winter from October to April. Isn't that special?

There are three types of flamingos that gather near the harbour: European, Caribbean and Chilean flamingos, but so far I haven't found much about why they come from such different parts of the world to spend their winters here. The only explanation I've read is that the marine life in this enclosed 'sea' must be very much to their taste. Apparently they haven't always been there, though. Earlier they spent their winters in other Zeeland locations but it seems Battenoord on the Grevelingenmeer has been their winter home for several years now. Here's a post about them. It's in Dutch but can be translated quite effectively by Google Translate.

Photo thanks to VVV Zeeland

When we walked along the dike from the harbour, we could see the flock standing in the water, but they were quite far out so it was more like a pink blur – well, it is if you have my dodgy sight. Even so, it was quite a thrill to be able to catch sight of them. 



A lovely picnic with my girls

And it was a memorable and special way to celebrate a birthday. The food was laid on largely by my other daughter, who loves baking as the goodies on the table demonstrate. She'd also bought these very pretty tea cups and saucers from a charity shop so we could drink our thermos coffee in style. It was all really lovely, and of course the dogs came too.

Despite the wind and weathering we've been suffering with lately, it's been quite mild so my geraniums at the crumbly cottage are still in fine fettle and flowering enthusiastically. To add to their efforts at providing us with good cheer, the little chrysanthemums that we had on the roof of the Hennie H in 2017 are still going strong and have come into flower for the third year running. They give a wonderful burst of colour before everything dies off for the winter. Apologies for the fuzzy photo (a bit like my sight), but you can get a Val's eye view of what I mean below.


Geraniums and Chrysanthemums abound

Last but not least (I hope), I managed to roll a layer of green paint on the Hennie H's hull before the rain started to fall in earnest. This is about as pretty as she'll get this year, and again, distance helps. Don't look too closely, in other words, but we'll still be working on her as soon as the weather permits.

Clean and green again

I'm sure there are other things I should be adding to this post, but I think I'd best stop here and leave you with a couple of photos I snapped of the one sunny day we've had this past week or so. It gave us the chance to get out for a walk along the estuary...a wonderful opportunity to stretch our eyes.



 Have a good week allemaal. Stay well and keep taking those vitamins!



16 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to spend the special day. A belated Happy Birthday to her. Nice photo of the flamingos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pradeep. I'm afraid the photo wasn't mine, but it is lovely, I agree!

      Delete
  2. Flamingos. I'd never have guessed, there. (Think I recognise one of your daughters! Good old Twitter!) Enjoyed this very much, Val.
    James Ember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James. How lovely to see you here again. Yes, the flamingos quite made my day. A taste of the tropics in chilly Holland instilled some warmth in my heart, if not my bones! Ah yes, Twitter reveals all. It took a while before our cover was blown, though :)

      Delete
  3. Wow look at those Flamingos, they are lovely.
    A very belated Happy Birthday to your Daughter Val, they are lovely looking young ladies. What a wonderful and unique way to celebrate her special day, more lovely memories made.
    It is lovely to see Hennie H looking so fresh and clean.
    Love the photos and as usual I enjoyed your blog. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Linda! Yes, I'm rather fond of my girls myself and it was, I think, quite a unique celebration :)) I'm so pleased your like my blog. It's my anchor in many ways! XX

      Delete
  4. I'm now investigating the feasibility of getting flamingos on our waterways. I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew why they came here, I'd give you some tips, Roger, but it's a mystery. I'll keep looking, though. I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere. Thank you for dropping by again!

      Delete
  5. Amazing, Val! I always thought flamingos were tropical birds. And the flowers are beautiful. Your blogs are always interesting and marvelous to read. Thank you. (steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. And you are always so kind! I too thought flamingos were tropical, so imagine my surprise when I heard they were regular over winterers (if that word exists)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely idea to celebrate a birthday. I had a colleague who was obsessed with flamingos. They were a recurring theme in her classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne-Marie, needs must, eh? We spent some time deciding where we could go with the two dogs (Mo's Charlie and Jo's Luna)and this seemed the best option with the added attraction of the flamingos.It's a celebration I won't forget too! I can understand why your friend loves them. For me they bring the sights and scents of the tropics with them.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely blog, Val. I love your feathery winter visitors and had no idea that you might have flamingoes, that seems so incongruous! The photo of your girls is ever so special, thanks very much sharing your daughter's special day with us. And well done for your continued work on the Hennie H's hull, she looks a picture! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you so much. No one could have been more surprised than I was to learn we had flamingos here in the Netherlands. I love the fact they are here completely of their own volition. It's so special. Thank you even more for your kind words about my girls and the HH.XX

      Delete
  8. Very nice photographs. I love flamingos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Davey! I wish the flamingo photo was mine, but all credit to the photographer!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)