Friday, March 17, 2023

Absence makes the blog seem dearer

It's been a few weeks since I've felt able to write a blog post, and I have to admit I've missed it, as well as reading all my blogging pals' posts. 

As I mentioned in my last blog, one-handed life takes on disproportionate difficulties, the worst being that I've had four online writing courses to keep up with. Of course I don't have to produce papers and assignments myself, but I have to give feedback on everything they do, plus answer questions, give advice, counsel them on their emotional and psychological issues with keeping deadlines, wipe their...no, sorry, I don't mean that, but you get my drift. I sometimes feel like a guidance counsellor as well as a writing skills teacher. And all of this with one hand. I'm exhausted... 😆

And then there's the mounting dust in the corners being exponentially inflated by dog hair (I thought spaniels didn't shed – I was wrong), a problem I'd forgotten about. When my beloved Sindy passed on eight years ago, it was a good two years before I stopped finding her hair trapped in folds, under mattresses, and in the weave of my rugs. Now I have a small golden mutt whose hair is providing cohesion for dust bunnies gathering under the table and in the cracks between the floor boards. Hoovering is quite a mission with one usable arm, I can confirm, so I've been postponing it. And it shows. I get tired just looking at it. 👀 😄

Sindy

Zoe

So the time and opportunity for blogging and social media in general has been quite curtailed. However, in a more exciting vein, and leaving aside all the maintenance, gardening and boat work I haven't been doing, in two weeks we'll be setting off to take my Vereeniging to her new home. It's going to be an adventure, that's for sure. I'm hoping my wrist will be more functional than it is now, but luckily, there are only four locks in the entire 190 km trip, so we'll manage, I'm sure.

Now we are gathering necessary equipment, fuel and supplies. The only uncertainties are the weather and the tides on the Schelde, but we have timetables, phone numbers and names, thanks to my lovely friend, Voirrey Johnson, whom we might even see coming the other way. It will be a journey for the records, and worthy of a blog post or two, at least.

Home for the last year and a half. I won't miss that tree!

Enjoy your weekend allemaal. I hope it's a good one for you, and I'll be back soon!


29 comments:

  1. I always find your blogs a very comfortable place to be - perhaps a little more comfortable than you do currently, with only one one useable arm. Thank you for sharing - and for letting me be one of the writers who has gained from your care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment. Thank you so much. My blog is very much my happy place on the internet, so I’m glad you find it comfortable too :)

      Delete
  2. You probably mentioned it before and I've forgotten. Where are you moving Vereeniging to. Or, since I'm addressing a language teacher, to where are you moving Vereeniging ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, she’s coming to Sas van Gent, about 20 kms north of Gent on the canal to Terneuzen. And either way, your language was just right. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, you really have been laboring under difficulties. I hope you wrist is better very soon. It sounds like a lot of work with the writing courses, and no wonder there are a few dust bunnies running about. Good luck for your trip, and I hope you find it enjoyable and picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trish. I just take my glasses off…haha. Then, I don’t see the dust bunnies ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, Val, I'm so sorry you are stil going into life's battles one-armed. You are simply amazing in all you accomplish - especially one-handed. And a little dog hair and dust doesn't add up in the measure of joy that your sweet Zoe brings. Looking forward to hearing about your epic trip! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much, Steph. You’re always so kind. I hope you’re doing okay, my friend. I know you have so much on your plate. Who’s amazing? You are!

      Delete
  5. I do hope you can go back to being two-handed very soon, Val. We don't realise until something like this happens how reliant we are on 'both' hands. Good luck with the move, I hope all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Cath. I never, ever realised how much I depended on both hands even for my balance. Thanks for the good wishes. I shall keep them for the trip.

      Delete
  6. Hoovering dog hairs with one arm must be quite an art! Zoe looks a cute character. Best wishes with the journey to your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dust balls that appeared in my home I at first blamed the previous owners for. :-) Skeeter is an expert shedder.

    I am sorry for your one-handed state. Also, for not at all keeping up. Still in the world and I am always glad to see your travels on the fbook. Take good care of each other. Zoe will be excited when you've returned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, Gina. I wish I could blame the dust balls on Zoe's predecessor, but I can't pretend. It's been eight years since Sindy died...and she was black. :))

      Thank you so much for the good wishes. I'll think of them when we leave and I will definitely be posting about it. Zoe is staying with my daughter, so will be very happy, I know. That will be a weight off my mind.

      Delete
  8. Hi Val - it's great to see ... and I'm happy to catch the news ... sounds like in a few weeks life will be almost back to normal ...good luck with Vereeniging's move - and being out on the water. Take care, relax, laugh and be happy ... cheers Hilary xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's a little dog hair between friends? My mum used to say she swept the room with a glance - good advice when you are one handed. I know just how inconvenient that is but at least I was retired and not having to cope with preparation and marking. Oh Val, I was exhausted reading about it! Good luck with your move to Sas Van Gent with Vereeniging - how exciting it will be to see her in her new home. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that, Rebecca. ‘Swept the room with a glance’ is brilliant! I shall be using it with some aplomb in the coming weeks. 😄
      We are very excited about the move, so I’ll definitely be posting about it, complete with photos 😄

      Delete
  10. Shirley Read-Jahn10:16 pm, March 19, 2023

    I so wish your wrist would hurry up and get better, Val. Good luck with moving the Vereeniging; exciting, as you say. Look forward to seeing the photos I know you'll take!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley. I hope it gets better soon. It’s a terrible nuisance.

      Delete
  11. How wonderful to read of your progress. Your strength shines through and makes all things seem possible. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you to interpret my observations this way, Fran. Thank you! You are an example of strength to me, you know! Xx

      Delete
  12. Oh dear, your trouble with Zoe's fur sounds all to familiar and yes, Spaniels do shed, as you belatedly remembered. My Suzi who we lost last September was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, as was her predecessor Jasper. Your Cindy looked a fine dog.
    Our new pup, being a Poodle is not supposed to shed but we keep finding little clumps of wool around! The trip to relocate your boat sounds great, hope all goes well, I'm sure it will, and you're able to enjoy it, pain free! David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David! She doesn’t shed as much as Sindy, but it’s more than I was expecting. I’ll definitely be posting photos of our trip. Many thanks for the kind good wishes!

      Delete
  13. Good luck with the trip, Val! 🧭

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vallypee, Nice to see your post again. We get busy and quite naturally blogging gets affected. The same happened to me as well. And in my latest post, I have a beginning that is very similar to yours! Wish you all the very best for the journey, and looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Pradeep. I am back from my journey now and will catch up with you too. I’m very glad to see you again.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)