Sunday, February 26, 2023

A day's respite

Picture this: I'm trying, with one hand, to pull on my jeans in the morning. On the other end of the leg I'm pushing my foot through is a small determined golden dog who is pulling as hard as I am, but in the opposite direction. Koos is just watching, laughing. 

Then, I'm putting on my coat with said small dog hanging from the hem, after which getting my scarf around my neck without having it snatched and dragged across the floor is a lesson in speed and agility – mine, not hers.

This is much of my life at the moment. 

What with my plastered wrist, which makes every task take twice as long as usual, and this little comedian who is absorbing our time and entertaining us in equal measure, I haven't managed to do anything beyond my regular teaching work. The boats are feeling as neglected as the house work and all my plans for gardening, painting and renovating are on hold.

My greatest triumphs this week have been teaching Zoe to sit and to come when she is called. Yes. That's it.

Today, though, I had some respite from my restrictions. My daughter, Jo, drove me and small golden dog to visit my other daughter, Mo, who is Mack's mum. Some of you may remember that Mack is also a cocker spaniel puppy. He arrived in December and is now four months old – a perfect play date for Zoe, whom we left with Mack and Mo while we went to check on the Vereeniging.



It was marvellous to spend time in the sunshine sweeping her decks and top, rinsing the dust off and generally spending a quality hour or two on my old girl. Jo teased me for talking to my barge as if she were a dog, but not being able to drive has been a great limitation and I've missed her. She needed some of that TLC from me. Hopefully some of these constraints will be lifted when the plaster comes off next week and I'll be more mobile in both smaller and larger ways. 

Anyway, thanks so much to my generous-hearted daughters for making it such a lovely day and helping their handicapped mum so readily. 

Here are some of the gorgeous photos Jo and Mo took of the pups today. They had a fantastic time together and were both totally tuckered out by the time we left to come home (the pups, not the girls ... although they might have been too!).

Is it time for a treat?

Happiness is contented chew sharing

Best friends forever :)

On Tuesday, Zoe is going to dog hospital to be spayed. I wonder how long her stitches will last? With Sindy, my last beloved pooch, her cone of shame survived all of 30 minutes and her stitches just a few days... we shall see! Watch this space allemaal.

23 comments:

  1. Hi, Val:

    Just loved this blog and I couldn't be happier that Zoe is such a special part of your life now. Adorable photos.

    Hope you heal soon and that all goes well with Zoe's surgery! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisette. She has definitely brought sunshine into our lives, bless her. xxx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely blog, Val! You had me in chuckling away at that vivid push-pull image of trying to get your jeans on! I think you're doing amazingly well as is Zoe. Two commands already? Great stuff! And well done to your girls for stepping up. Your two pups are going to be the best friends. Good luck to Zoe with her surgery. I'm sure she'll be fine. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ver much, Beth. Yes, I am delighted with Zoe's progress. She's such a good girl, and she and Mack are already great buddies. So lovely to see. :)

      Delete
  3. So sorry about your wrist, but great blog, as usual, and such sweet photos. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  4. A lovely read as usual. Life without a dog is just not the same, so glad Zoe came into yours. Helping boating friends Jill and Graham, who I think you know, become pet owners again next weekend. Fingers crossed it all goes well for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I've heard from Jill that they have capitulated. We always say never again...until we do it again! :)

      Delete
    2. How strange! I thought I’d answered this comment. I have a feeling it’s Margaret, yes? I’m so happy for Jill and Graham. I adore my little Zoe.

      Delete
  5. You are amazing, Val. Dog training and taking care of your barge with one hand! Lovely photos. And what a fun companion Zoe is turning out to be for y'all. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Steph, if you only knew! I'm doing everything slow motion, my dear, but thank you! :))

      Delete
  6. Hey Val just loving yr beautiful doggie pics there just so cute
    So sorry about your wrist what did u do ?
    Hoping the spaying goes well and recovery is swift
    Hugs and ♥️ fie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Fie. Just a silly accident. I slipped on a muddy patch and broke my wrist. First time ever. Hopefully all will soon be well :)
      I''m glad you like the Zoe pics, my lovely SIL. xxx

      Delete
  7. Good to hear you had a couple of hours to yourself on the boat I know how good that must have felt. Popcorn has his hood on now following his operation to be castrated and dewclaws removed from his back legs. He tolerates the hood but the dressings on his legs lasted 24 hours and had to be redone! He's now working on the new ones 😮
    The two puppies are gorgeous and will be good friends I'm sure.
    Popcorn is taking up our time and we both have other problems just now so I wont be able to post anything on my blog yet. David. 😊 🐕 🐢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh David, I'm praying Zoe won't unpick her stitches. I've got a little suit for her to wear to stop her licking at them, so I really hope it works. Popcorn sounds like his name, all pop! What a bundle of mischief he is. I had the same with my old dog. There was a reason her name got shortened to Sin. :))
      Good luck with him, and I hope the other problems can be resolved. We miss your lovely posts, but I completely understand.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely blog Val. I can just picture the scene with Zoe tugging at your clothes - what a good game! How good it must have been to spend some time on the Vereeniging and give her a bit of TLC. Hope you get your plaster off soon and that Zoe heals quickly after her op.Love the puppy pics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Rebecca. It was a lovely day altogether. Zoe is doing fine and bouncing around much more than she should be. 😁

      Delete
  9. Nope. No apologies necessary, dear.
    We just need to repent N believe:
    ☆ en.gravatar.com/MatteBlk ☆
    GBY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your dexterity is improving, Val. Sorry, I missed this as I'm in the midst of sorting the parent's house out before it is sold, plus finding somewhere affordable to live in the near future! The dogs look lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Aidan, I hope you find somewhere soon. That must be quite stressful. Please don't apologise. I'm always happy to see you here when you have time. Good luck with all you have to do!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Val. I shall enjoy myself once moved...

      Delete
  11. Hi Val - I'm somewhat surprised to see you're not called 'Vo' ?!?! Perhaps you are behind the scenes ... delightful post - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no, Hilary! But I am called Vee, or even Mrs Vee by my stepsons. 😄

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)