Tuesday, February 07, 2023

The new family member

Our life has changed radically since my last post and I didn't even know it was going to happen. We have a new dog. 

After eight long years, we've taken the plunge and acquired a little American cocker spaniel. In the last few of those eight years, I'll admit that barely a week or even day has gone by without my looking  at dogs for adoption, but I've hesitated time and again over what kind of dog I wanted and whether to do it at all. The main criteria were that our dog had to be small enough for me to carry (on and off boats), a female, and of an 'easy-going' breed. As everyone who's read my blog over the years knows, I loved our old Sindy without reserve and missed her terribly when she died, but she was big and heavy for one thing, and the complete antithesis of easy-going for another.

But then one of those things happened that put paid to all my procrastination. Two weeks ago, an ad popped up on the internet asking for someone to give this beautiful little lady (see pics below) a home. The ad said she was a year old (I didn't want a puppy), female and very sweet-natured. It also said that no breeders should apply because she had an allergy. Well, having had Sindy who rattled with pills every time she shook, a mere allergy wasn't enough to put me off. 

The ad had been placed the evening before, so I wrote immediately, hoping that for once I wouldn't be too late. Sadly, the owner wrote back and told me someone had already reserved her. We had a bit of a chat online and I must have convinced her how disappointed I was because she asked if I'd like to know if the people who wanted her didn't show up. 'Yes please,' I wrote, but in all honesty, I'd given up and was almost (but not quite) relieved ... I could postpone making a decision; in fact, I didn't even tell Koos anything more about her.

Well, imagine my surprise when at the weekend, the advertisesr sent me a message to ask if I could still give little Zoe (as she was called) a home. I panicked for a moment. Now I'd really have to make a commitment, which was something I'd been avoiding, if I'm truthful, for several years. After chatting to Koos, though, we decided to throw caution out the window for once and go for it. 

So it was that with my heart in my mouth, we set off last Tuesday to go and collect her. To cut the story short, we stayed overnight in Valkenswaard, a town near the address where we had to fetch Zoe. Being over in the east of the country, it would have been a very long journey to go there and back in a day. Anyway, we collected this little bundle of nerves on Wednesday morning, popped her in the car and drove home in one shot. 

She was as good as gold as a passenger, a huge plus in her favour (Sindy had always been a dreadful car traveller). But, the poor little thing had clearly been very neglected, not well cared for at all and was very scared to begin with, although she was very happy with her cosy donut bed when we got home.

To be fair to the people we got her from, we don't think she'd been with them long either. They had a houseful of male poodles and were hoping to breed cockerpoos, but when they saw her skin problem, decided they'd better not and put her straight up for adoption. The neglect and poor care probably came from where she'd been earlier after being imported from Slovakia. It doesn't bear thinking about too much, does it?


Anyway, it didn't take long for things to change. She soon discovered we didn't mind her being on the sofa and neither did her 'Aunty Jo' who looked after her for a day when we had to go and see to the Vereeniging. Jo took some gorgeous photos of her, as you can see below.





It's now a week since she arrived and I'm delighted to report she's already a different pup. The tail is up and wagging, she's become playful and cheeky and she's loving the attention of all our friends and neighbours who, predictably, melt when they see her sweet face. The vet has confirmed her skin is improving, and that the allergy may have been stress-related. She has an eye infection that we hope will clear up soon, but otherwise her coat is already shinier and she's a happy, delightful doglet. 

As for her bed, she rarely sits in it anymore. Being next to one of us is much more to her taste :)

Have a good week allemaal  and all the best till next week from the three of us: Koos, Zoe and me. 

26 comments:

  1. Hello I am back, happy and well hope you are too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mel! How great to see you again. I shall have to rush over to your blog and have a look at your new post!

      Delete
    2. How strange that you have had a new dog [Zoe] almost 12 months after we brought our Seánie home from Tipperary last year. Thank you for your delightful comments too -;)

      Delete
    3. Hello Vally, Thank you for the lovely comment on Heronsview and how remarkable that you too have a new dog almost 12 months to the date since we brought our Seánie baack from Tipperary! Bye bye for now Mel

      Delete
    4. Mel, sometimes it takes a while to find the right match. I'm so pleased we've both found our furry soul mates. Till soon!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your new family member. You’ve made the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey val, it is Jo. Partner in crime for certain work commitments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Jo!! How lovely to see you here! I love the ID clue ....haha!

      Delete
  4. I’m so happy for the three of you! Can wait to read all about your journey through life together ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks. She’s warmed our hearts so much already :)

      Delete
  5. Val, I am just so happy for the three of you and I love all the positive changes after only a week. What she needed was y'all and the love you give her. She is beautiful and her sweetness speaks out of her face. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. What a lovely kind comment. xx

      Delete
  6. I could not be more thrilled for you all, Val. This has been absolutely the best news. I'm certain you have saved Zoe from a horribly tough life. Lots of love to you all. I can't wait to see lots more photos of your lives together. Hugs! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, dear Beth. She really is the most loving and affectionate little dog. xxxx

      Delete
  7. Zoe completes the family Val. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, congratulations. Probably best not to think what has gone on before, poor little thing. She's absolutely gorgeous, and hasn't she fallen on all four paws?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to see you here, Jackie. Thank you! Zoe is just so sweet and is adjusting so well. We love her to pieces already.

      Delete
  11. I'm very pleased to see you have a new dog and she looks lovely. The American Cocker Spanial is a very pretty breed, our first dog was an English Cocker Spaniel. She sounds to be behaving very well, our new puppy is now 7 months old and a real handful. I'll look forward to hearing how she progresses. David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh David, my sympathies. I'm glad Zoe is largely out of the puppy phase, especially as I've now managed to fall and break my wrist. She's easy to handle despite my handicap. I hope you can cope in the coming months.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure we'll manage somehow. He's being neutered in 10 days time, the vet says that will make a big difference. At least we don't have a broken wrist, so sorry to hear that. Apart from the pain it must be very frustrating for daily things. David.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)