Wednesday, December 30, 2020

A look back on my 2020 in words and pictures

Oh well, I didn't manage that other post before Christmas, but at least this one is before the new year...just! So before I forget completely, I hope you've all had the best Christmas possible in the circumstances and that 2021 will bring a much brighter year with a real hope of recovery.

On that note, it's been a tough one, hasn't it? I can only imagine the hardship some people are suffering and I am forever grateful I work in education, which has kept going in spite of the universities and schools closing. As a freelancer, things could have turned out badly for me, but I am fortunate I was able to continue with all my teaching online, and in fact was even swamped with work before the summer break. 

Then in the autumn, during that brief calm before the recent resurgence of the storm, I had a mix of face-to-face and online courses, which also kept me very busy. But for those in the hospitality and entertainment industries, it's been crippling. No work means no income and these are people with mortgages to pay; some are faced with losing their homes, which is devastating for them. My heart goes out to them all as well as those who have lost loved ones or whose health has been damaged by the virus.

Like everyone, though, we've also missed the travel possibilities. Koos has felt this deprivation particularly as he would normally have been away to Poland and Moldova about three times during the year. However, we've been much less restricted within our own country than many in other parts of Europe. Firstly, we managed a holiday in Portugal in January before Mr Corona swept into Europe creating havoc for us all. But since then, I haven't ever been prevented from going up and down between my cottage in Zeeland and my Vereeniging in Rotterdam, not even when things were at their worst in April. 

This relative freedom has been a relief given that we have two boats a hundred and fifty kilometres apart and they both need constant vigilance. The Vereeniging is my work base as well, so it was important for me to be able to commute and some of you might remember I did several posts about going to and fro, up and down, there and back, hither and thither...well, you get the idea. At one point I felt that was all I was doing.

But I think that being long-term boat dwellers means we are used to keeping to ourselves more than most people, so self isolation hasn't been much of a problem for us. I drove up to the city, parked my car, cycled to the boat and to work and often didn't meet another soul. I even took my food with me much of the time. On the other hand, I was also able to keep seeing my daughters, albeit it only outside most of the time. We got together while I had my barge on the slipway, for outdoor birthday picnics and dog walks. When that wasn't possible, I sat in my car outside my younger daughter's house and we chatted on the phone while waving to each other through the window.

So in the greater scheme of things, we've been blessed and are very grateful for it. Neither of us has been unwell at all, and haven't had so much as a cold (cross fingers), so we'll keep downing our vitamins and taking our regulation exercise – not so much fun in these icy winds, but needs must. The worst that's hit us recently is Storm Bella, whose untimely visit was decidedly unwelcome immediately after Christmas, but even then, she walloped poor England much more than us. My sister lives in the Bedford area and sent me photos of all the flooding, none of which we had. It must have been miserable for people whose homes were in the path of the rising rivers. Awful, in fact, after the war of attrition the virus has waged on us.

So, I really haven't got anything to complain about, have I? It's humbling to look back and see how much we have to be thankful for after this strange 'year of the pandemic'. On that note, then, I'll count my blessings, thank my lucky stars and wish all of you a happy New Year's Eve with a wish for better things to come during 2021. 

Here are a few photos of the sunnier moments our 2020 year in the order of the months that I took them.


January

March

April

A zoom meeting with my grandpup
before any kind of get together was possible


April

May

May (slipway time in Rotterdam)

Going down the slipway

My geraniums in June

June at the local gliding airstrip

July

August

September

October

November, the Hennie Ha's first trip out

November

December


Have a good one allemaal. Here's Koos in his Christmas outfit and facemask on: the face of 2020 past. See you all next year!



17 comments:

  1. What a year it has been Val, lots of ups and downs and not just you being here and there.
    So glad you managed to continue to work and also to get to both your barges.
    A roller coaster of emotions for everyone which we have so far survived, long may it continue to be so.
    Hopefully the vaccine will help us all.
    I love your photos and Koos looks the bees knees.
    Wishing you, Koos and your family a wonderful 2021, Happy New Year xx
    Love your blog posts xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda. You're right, it's been an up and down year in many ways. I'm so glad you managed to get to your new home, and I hope 2021 will be a very happy one for you and Jono. Lots of love! xxx

      Delete
  2. Val. You and Koos are so blessed to have each other. Glad you are both well. You mentioned so many points that we all need to reflect on, but what I love the most is that writers work in isolation and are less likely to feel the social crunch. We cherish our solitude so we can survive a year such as 2020. Your Twitter friend, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, that is something I forgot to add, and about which you are quite right. Writers don't seek company much of the time and that gives us an advantage in dealing with social isolation. Happy New Year and thank you so much for the comment, my Twitter friend :) xx

      Delete
  3. A lovely line up of monthly pictures to end the year Val. It shows that despite everything which has happened, beauty can always be found in the waterways of the Netherlands. Koos looks great in his Christmas jumper - I always wanted to wear one of those! Happy New Year, and may 2021 be much brighter for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. I love Koos's Christmas outfit too. And yes, when I see these photos, I realise that despite being a densely populated country, we have many places of space and beautiful solitude. Happy New Year to you, my blogging friend!

      Delete
  4. Lovely reflections, Val, and a spirit of thankfulness and quiet joy...a joy indeed to read. Happy 2021. May everything including your travel to and fro be blessed. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph.I'm glad it came across that way, because I know of so many who have suffered this year. I am so very pleased you managed to have your surgery and hope that 2021 gives you a return to health and fitness. Happy New Year, Steph and Alan. Much love. xx

      Delete
  5. Like you Val, we too have had our ups and downs in 2020 but on the whole have survived healthy and happy. As you say let's count our blessings and thank our lucky stars ... and start 2021 in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I almost feel like wearing a tee-shirt with '2020 survivor' on it...haha. Onwards and upwards and a happy 2021 to you too!

      Delete
  6. I posted a comment last night but I think I lost it somehow. I'm so glad you managed to stay working even although teaching online was not the easiest of things to do. I think we have less freedom here, we cannot go out with our local authority so I can't visit my son or his girls e en though they are about 40 mins away. The rules were relaxed for Christmas Day so I saw my 3 granddaughters only for the second time this year. My heart is sore from not seeing them. Luckily my daughter and her two children live nearby so I have seen them . Now it's too old for me to meet them outside as we can't meet indoors. I just hope with the vaccine all this will soon be a memory but at least we're well. I hope it's a better year in 2021 for you and Koos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Anne. I know you've had less freedom than we've had and I so feel for you not being able to see your little ones. I too hope that the vaccine will give freedom to everyone vulnerable in particular and I hope you get it before those of us who are healthy. Keeping everything crossed for a better 2021, and thank you for all your comments this year, dear. We've been blogging friends for a long time, haven't we?

      Delete
  7. That was a good recap of the year that went by. Glad to know that everything was more or less okay for you. Good photos, by the way.
    Wish you and family a lovely new year, Vallypee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Pradeep, and thank you too for all your comments during the year. It’s been lovely to see you hear and also to visit your blog and see something of your life too. Happy 2021 to you!

      Delete
  8. Lovely post, Vallypee, and I always love looking at the photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terry. I'm surprised how many photos I have for this year, but when I think back, we've also had some lovely weather, so that's been another upside. I think the lockdown periods would have been harder if we'd had endless rain and grey skies. xx

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you've able to report so positively on your past year, Val. We feel very much the same, and have hardly felt any significant impact of the tiers and the lockdowns. Best wishes to you both for 2021. Keep smiling, and keep busy!

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)