Friday, January 08, 2021

The downsides of onboard life?

I've posed the title to this post as a kind of question because it's something I'm thinking about at the moment while writing a piece about living in the Netherlands and what the challenges and charms of living here have been. And when I say I'm thinking about it, that's not quite true, because my mind's gone blank. I can come up with, and have written about, all the upsides of life on board, but for me it's hard to contemplate negatives when I have embraced the lifestyle so wholeheartedly.

Oude Haven, Rotterdam

Admittedly, I don't live on board all the time these days. I've never been a city person, so as soon as I could, I found a weekend getaway. At first, that was the barge in Brussels, but since 2007, it's been the crumbly cottage in Zeeland, and for the past ten months, I've been there more than in Rotterdam, so the balance has changed somewhat. Being rural and quite remote, Zeeland has given us space to breathe during Corona time. I also have a better internet connection there, which has been important for conducting online lessons. But I'm still in Rotterdam for some part of every week, and hope that will increase in the coming months as things settle (fingers crossed!)

Space to breathe in Zeeland


In a sense, then, living in an inner-city harbour is a downside, but it's not a negative of life on a boat as such. So what are the real drawbacks?

I think part of it depends on the kind of boat you have. Mine is classified as a monument and so I can't change its outer profile. This means I can't have windows in the sides as it wouldn't comply with the authenticity requirements. It also means it can be rather dark in winter when I have to keep the hatch closed. With the ceiling being low and little light coming in through the roof window, it can be a bit gloomy inside. But that's just my Vereeniging. On our holiday boat, the Hennie H, there are windows all round; it remains light and airy and I'd happily stay on board all year round if it were big enough.

The Hennie H has windows all around it


Okay, so cancel that one. What else is a downside? Well, maybe filling the water tanks and diesel tank during the winter? That can be a mission if it's raining and cold. I normally try and time it for a dry day at least, if not a sunny one. The routine itself is something I enjoy and is part of what makes onboard existence special, but it's definitely less fun when the wind is howling, the temperature is below zero or the rain is lashing down. Do you sense just a slight hint of understatement here?

A gloomy, wet day in the harbour


There's also the issue of the floor being cold in winter. Because I don't have insulation or underfloor heating (which many more luxurious barges have), I can walk around in a tee-shirt inside when the heater is on; my upper half is toasty warm, but I always need thick socks and furry boots on my feet. The floor never warms up. Ever.

My winter foot warmers


So what else is a minpunt? (as the Dutch would say). Well, living on a tidal river certainly has its plus sides for sure; I like the rhythms of the tides and the life they bring to the water. However, it can be tricky when you want to transport heavy stuff onto the boat. If the water is very high, it means carrying things up a steep ramp from the quay and then having to get down onto the deck from an angle – not handy if you're clutching a big box and can't see where you're going. 

High water on the terraces
(Photo borrowed from Picuki.com)

Many's the time I've had to put my load down on the gangplank, climb over or shuffle round it, step back onto the deck (hoping my feet will land and not slide out from under me) and then haul said box up over the edge and down again, trusting that we, the box and me, won't end up in an awkward, slightly embarassing horizontal embrace; after all, it's where the verb 'to deck' someone came from, I'm sure. If you bear in mind the gangplank is only about 50cm wide and I wear boots with dinner plate souls, it's the boaty version of a tightrope. By the way, it's even more fun when the tide is out and the water is very low, but I've written about that challenge before. Mount Eiger comes to mind when climbing up to the quay. Generally speaking, though, these extremes only happen in winter.


Extreme low water in the Oude Haven

The only other downside I can think of is when it rains heavily. The noise on the hatches can be deafening. I don't like it much then because not only am I shut into the gloom with everything closed, the drumming of the raindrops can make me feel quite claustrophobic. However, this is mostly a winter problem too, as (of course) is snow and ice on the deck, which can be very unnerving. Skating down to my entrance hatch is not my idea of fun, especially if it's on my rear end.

So, when it comes down to it, it's not the boat that's the problem, is it? It's winter. Everyone one of my downsides is related to that most unfavourable of seasons, which brings me back to my question: what are the downsides of living on board? Well, none, actually ... However, if we could only banish winter...

Happy new year, allemaal, keep healthy, keep busy and above all, keep visiting my blog. I enjoy your company and am ever grateful for the interest, comments and kindness I've received here over the years.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely post, as usual... and I wear those sort of things on my feet from November- March anyway!!! Am also interested in the sound of the 'crumbling cottage in Zeeland' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terry. Yes, I blessed the day this type of slipperware came onto the market!! The crumbly cottage is so named because nothing is straight in the house. The doors don't fit the frames, the walls are a bit skew and the brickwork crumbles as you look at it. Definitely not a 'des res' but we love where it is and have wonderful views and space around us. And we have a fantastically effective wood burning stove! It makes up for a lot, especially all the draughty gaps :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful Val, I love it. I did not think you would be able to come up with any downsides for living on your wonderful barge the Vereeniging. As you quite rightly state it is only the winter weather that is a downside and lets be honest here, that can apply almost anywhere.
    We currently have snow, much to Jono´s delight it has been snowing since 6am. Yes we had a walk in it, well wrapped up and it was great fun,, that is until my walking boots sprung a leak and I got a wet foot.
    I love your winter foot warmers and yes I too have a couple of pairs of them , Jono too.
    I would love to see some photos of the Zeeland hideaway.
    Thank you for another wonderful blog post, take care and stay safe and a Happy New Year to you and Koos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda. And yes, I bet you knew I could talk myself out of the downsides of living on board. I'm just incredibly glad we don't get much snow here! I do understand why other people like it, but I'm afraid I don't and am very happy to get through a winter without it. You stay safe too, my dear! Happy 2021 to you and Jono!

      Delete
  3. beautiful photos Val. Especially Zeeland. I so want to see those big skies. I have a pair of furry boot slippers just like those lol. the beauty of an old house as well as a barge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I know I'm fortunate to have both options, but I tell myself I need it for my sanity :))

      Delete
  4. What a super post, Val. I love the way you talk yourself in and out of the downsides, and agree with your conclusions. Living on a boat during the winter must be tough at times. Thank you for sharing this with us, I loved it, and the photos were super accompaniments to your tale! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Beth. There's no way I'd ever have let the downsides be anything to do with the barge :D
      It can be hard work, but it's a way of life that I love. The only improvement would be to have the barge where the cottage is! Now that would be heaven :)) xx

      Delete
  5. Love it, Val, just love it! The downside is indeed winter! Can we start a petition against it? (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear hear, Steph! Let’s be the first signatories! :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, that last picture does look scary, what a steep walk down to the barge. You have three lovely, original, homes - which sounds wonderful. But maybe not so much in Winter - I don't like cold feet either! I love the sound of your crumbly cottage, much to my taste. I love all the TV shows from the UK about restoring old houses, barns, etc. Stay safe, and hope the daffodils come soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, Patricia! I’m keeping an eye out for the snowdrops even now. To be truthful, I’d rather be on board all the time, but it would have to be a different boat and a different place. Not Rotterdam :)
      Keep well, Patricia!

      Delete
  7. Hi Val,
    You sucked me in with the title as I couldn't understand why someone as positive as you would have chosen it. Not long into the article and I get it and I'm chuckling. Certainly identify with many of these downsides (and their upside). We did enjoy the short bits of winter we have spent on the boat. When Port Cergy flooded it was a wonderful opportunity to sell the motor bike that was annoying us as the passerelles were completely flat (not at the usual 45-60 degrees). We have the same cold floor issue but a pair of unbelievably comfy $45 snow proof fur-lined, ice-grip, slip-on booties solve that problem. The local delivery guys seem to have got the hang of getting stuff on the boat and usually drop it through the sky light. We just wish we could be there, despite how lovely it is here by the sea in the sunshine Sept-May, winter has all the same issues about it, and would be enjoyed a great deal more on the other side of the world, on La Rebelle. Love from sunny Oz, Rosie C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rosie, I do feel for you. I hope very much that you’ll be able to get back to your beloved boat this year. Fingers crossed, eh? Maybe you could stay for the winter too? That would make up a bit for the long absence.

      Delete
  8. I hope you don't get too much frost with that low water and gangplank angle, it mast be bad enough when its wet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get more frost than snow here, Brian and Diana, and yes, it can be distinctly dodgy. Quite frightening at times too because my foredeck is so large. But no broken bones yet, thank heavens. Those holey rubber mats help although I could do with a few more of them.

      Delete
  9. Nice post and photos. Downsides are realities too, aren't they? And I think it's important to know and understand them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right there, Pradeep. Understanding is half the battle! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. It's good to hear an honest account, Val. I find there are far too many boaters in the UK - usually men - who boast that the weather never stops them doing anything, and consider everyone else as if they were somehow lesser mortals. We've never overwintered aboard Kantara, so we're clearly part of that group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you at all, Roger. The discomfort has to be weighed up against what is practical. I need my barge as my city base, but I'd be much happier if we didn't have winter to contend with!

      Delete
  11. It's not winter. It where you live when it's winter. For the next couple days it's going to be in the mid 20's C here in Southern California. Envy much? 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touché, you two. You’re right, and that’s why I miss South African winters so much. The day time temperatures were lovely! Great to hear from you, by the way! Happy New 2021 to you both, and I hope you manage to make it here this year!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)