Sunday, January 31, 2021

And so it gets colder

As often happens in this country, real winter only begins late in January and sometimes not until February. Well today, I can confirm we have real winter. Actually, it started yesterday when I walked around the harbour here and I became suddenly, horrifyingly aware it was snowing...yuk! The wind was biting, so I scurried home as fast as I could get there. It carried on snowing for a while, but then turned to rain. Phew, I thought. What a relief! I'm sure you all know how I feel about snow by now. My distaste is so great I won't even 'like' photos people post on Facebook with snow on them unless there's blue sky there too. Yes, sorry, but I am that petty. 



Anyway, this morning, the sky had cleared and there was even some sunshine for a while, but by the time I wanted to go for a walk again, everything had turned grey and wow was it bitter?! Koos and I agreed it was the coldest day of the year so far. We differed in our reactions, though. He likes snow and welcomes it. I don't. Of course. Even so, we had a nice wander along one of the side branches of the canal nearby but I have to admit it was a bit bleak and bone rattling.


It was good to take a walk, however. I have to tell myself so because I know staying inside doesn't suit me at all. I have a tendency to suffer from winter blues (SAD) and struggled with it throughout my youth although I didn't know what it was at the time. When it miraculously disappeared during my South Africa years, the penny dropped. So now I'm back in northern Europe, I have to get as much daylight into my system as possible to avoid the glooms. Having the incentive to get out and about was much easier when we had a dog I have to say. These days I need to encourage myself with promises of rewards when I get home. Next thing I'll be buying myself balls to chase...


Before I get carried away, though, I thought I'd post a photo of this abandoned farmhouse. It is all that's left after the area was taken over for industry and glass houses. Such a shame, really. Below it, I've posted a couple of photos of similar houses in a village quite close to this where the houses have been renovated and are now lived in. They are gorgeous and I wonder what the future of this dilapidated old place might be. It would be lovely if someone could rescue it before it collapses, but I doubt if it will happen. I always feel a sense of loss when I see the homes and farm buildings that have been vacated in areas taken over by 'development.' It's as if the dignity has been stripped from them; homeless homes, so to speak.

Abandoned farmhouse and barn



I love the garden of this house. It's a lovely place

This one used to look very sad, but it's quite pristine now 
and look at the beautifully rebuilt barns behind it. Someone's
saved it and made a huge investment here

Back to reality, tomorrow I'm starting two big online courses and then another one next week, so I'll be very busy again for a couple of months. I hope I'll be able to keep up my daily walks and my blog, and with a bit of luck there'll be more canals, boats and rural scenes on this page in the coming weeks. I'll do my best anyway but if you see an empty space for a while, I hope you'll be patient until I can get going again.

Have a good one allemaal.  Here's one final photo that I took on my Friday walk, which I rather like. Keep well and keep warm!



14 comments:

  1. I really can’t do cold. Hate it. But our lives continue in the warm corners of our worlds. Good luck with your courses. And do keep up your blogs - always fascinating to see how the boaty people live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Adrian. I'm glad you enjoy these glimpses into our world here. Good luck with your teaching too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Val for another superblog. Your weather has turned colder whereas ours has been pretty mild this week.
    I love the renovated cottages and like you, hope the abandoned farmhouse finds happiness again.
    Take care and stay safe, xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely! I'm glad your weather is milder now. You've had it colder than we have, so I hope it stays warmer for you!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for lovely photos and comments on weather etc. Been wet and cold here too with a bit of snow last week. I have even walked in the rain (urgh!) this week. Sending you both warm hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Jude! I find that going for a walk is helping even when the weather is yuk. Look after yourselves too and big hugs xx

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your blog and photos. Thank you from one who is missing Europe, our barge, and lovely walks along the canals. I understand your feeling about SAD. My husband also has a tough time when the sun disappears for a while. Good luck with your courses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you for visiting and commenting. My sympathies with anyone who suffers from SAD. I do find getting out for a walk helps, but I have to admit I'm counting down to spring now. Thanks for the good wishes too!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, that abandoned farm house is so pretty. I would love to be the one to rescue it! I love a house with plenty of character. Snow is beautiful to look at, but the cold and grey can be very depressing - and I have only experienced it occasionally. On a regular basis it must be quite hard to live with - but then the beautiful Spring which follows is just glorious. Great photo of the Rubicon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. Wouldn't it be lovely to rescue that house? And yes, I'm counting down to spring now. It's my favourite season, probably because it's such a joy after winter!

      Delete
  6. Great blog, Val as usual. And thanks for the Rotterday harbourmaster links on FB. I miss our "watery ways" but once this virus has got under control I'm sure Spain will have lots to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right about Spain, Margaret. I have a dream of having a little shack in Spain or Portugal where I can escape for the winter. I loved your blog. I think you're very brave dealing with a new language now!

      Delete
  7. HaHaHa...buying yourself balls to chase! Just make sure there's some sunshine you you still get your Vit D! And I totally understand about not liking snow on FB. I ignore unless it's a family member or an exceptionally beautiful scene...has to be exceptional to be beautiful if there's snow in it! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Steph, as soon as there's a glimmer of sunshine, I'm outside. I'm glad you saw the funny side of the ball chasing. Thank you, as always xx

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)