Saturday, January 23, 2021

The daily walk show

One of the few upsides of the current lockdown we're undergoing here in the Netherlands is the amount of walking I seem to be doing. While I don't make New Year's resolutions as a rule – mainly because I'd never keep them for more than about a month – I did decide to try and make time for a daily walk, at least all the while we can't go anywhere else. A sort of resolution, then.

The reason for my more determined than normal efforts is because I have trouble enough with enduring winter, and since we haven't been able to go to Portugal this January as we'd planned, I'm missing my winter dose of Vitamin D in the Algarve sunshine. Okay, I know I'm not going to get much of that here, but at least by going out for a walk every day, I'm getting something of what's going, aren't I? And actually, we've had a few lovely days recently.

My aim has been to walk 4kms every day and so far, I'm managing to do it. I like walking although I confess I haven't done as much as I used to since Sindy (beloved pooch) died, so now I'm feeling quite proud of my efforts. Some days my distance calculator has said I've been a bit under the 4kms, so the next day I've walked a bit further to make up for it. The only snag is the mud that's everywhere at the moment. We've had so much rain all the country paths are like wading through a quagmire and as I don't have boots made for that kind of walking, I'm sticking mostly to the roads. Still, now and then I've taken the plunge – quite literally once – and hopscotched my way through the puddles or skirted round the knee-deep tractor tracks. The plunge part was when I miscalculated the depth of one of these muddy pools and ended up ankle deep in slush. That was fun – not.

The best motivation for getting up and out there has been the opportunity to take photos of our surroundings. I've got a new camera, thanks (very much) to Koos, which is a delight to use and I can just slip it into my coat pocket when I go out. It's a little Panasonic compact but it has a whopping 30 x optical zoom, which is fantastic for those long distance shots of barges disappearing into the haze. I've been after this particular model for ages; it isn't the latest one, but I read all the reviews and it has everything I personally want, especially a really excellent lens. With my camera as inspiration, I started posting my daily snaps on Twitter, which a few people seem to like. However, because my blog is my favourite place on the net and since I can't possibly let Twitter have it all, I thought I'd add some of them here too. 

So, dear readers, here's a collection of my most recent daily walk photos. I have to admit they're in no particular order because Blogger just seems to ignore the sequence in which I post them, but never mind. It actually doesn't matter, although the snowy one was the first photo I took with my camera (It was snowing at the time, hence the haze!).


The day it snowed


I love docks and cranes


Quaint village street

This lake is an old creek from the days when the land was
submerged when the tide came in

Practicing my zoom. Those houses were about 1.8kms from
where I was standing. I'm impressed.

This was testing the zoom as well

On our great sea canal

A nearby nature reserve after the rains, much as the
land would have looked before drainage
Another zooming effort

Typically Dutch


And, of course, there have to be boats




This one was one I took with my phone, but
I just happen to like it. on Blogger, I can't really
see the difference, but I can on my photo program.


Well, that's it for this week, allemaal. We're coping, surviving the restrictions and hoping all these efforts will result in freedom to move around more when the spring comes. Let's hope it does. Meanwhile, I'll just focus on my three Ws: working, walking and writing!

Keep well and look after yourselves!



21 comments:

  1. Well done with the 4km walking. I am trying to do a similar average, but it is heat not cold that I have to deal with. Your zoom lens photos are great, love the snowy one and the 'typical Dutch' scenes. I have noted your camera because I am looking for a new one, and only have my phone camera these days. Happy walking this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! Let me know if you want more information about the camera. It’s a Panasonic TZ70. Good luck with your walking too!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful blog and I love the photos Val. I too do not make New Year resolutions but I am trying to walk everyday and take photos. Jono is always telling me that I look like a tourist, lol. I just ignore him and remind him that I am reliving my youth even though much has changed since then.
    Keep on with the walking it is good for the soul. xx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your walks, Linda. It must be lovely to be seeing everything with fresh eyes! You tell Jono your friends want to see them :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Val.
      I will do xxx

      Delete
  3. Lovely, Val. In love with your camera! But a lot of your success is due to how talented you are rather than the camera. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Steph, you always say the loveliest things, my friend. Thank you. I’m glad you like the photos :)

      Delete
  4. I love these, Val! I certainly get the feel of where you live and I can tell how much you love your home. However, I can't say I envy your mud and wet, as you know me; come winter I pray for, and play in, the snow! Keep on walking! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a real snow girl, Dale. I dread it, so I’d rather have the mud all things being equal. Thank you, dear. I shall continue to walk and snap xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos, Val. Thanks for sharing them. I find the camera a very good reason to walk, too, and many of those find their way into my blog. I call myself a blogographer! (:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Roger. That is truly brilliant. I shall steal that if I may and call myself a blogographer too :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome - we should start a club! :-)

      Delete
    3. Haha, blogography in the blogsphere ;)

      Delete
  6. A noble resolution with a high resolution result?
    I think I may tweet that.
    James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good one, James. I like that... noble resolution with high resolution. Excellent. It takes some resolve to maintain the resolution, though ...on both counts :)

      Delete
  7. You have so many lovely places to walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, Lydia. I'm very fortunate and keep reminding myself of that because even so, I dream of going further afield.

      Delete
  8. I fully agree that lockdown presents a wonderful opportunity to walk. Here too I did that when we had our one and only one lockdown from March 25 to May 31.
    Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pradeep. I'm afraid our lockdown will last until the warmer weather comes, but being able to walk makes a huge difference.

      Delete
  9. Love that Quaint village street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sweet, isn't it? Haddock. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)