Saturday, November 25, 2023

London past and present


As a child in north London, I was fascinated by the gasometers, more formally known as gas holders, that were scattered around our environs. These massive circular structures stored the gas that used to be made from coal right up until the last quarter of the 20th century. As a small thing, I used to love watching how the holders inflated and deflated according to the demands made on them. Sunday lunchtime, for instance, was a time when they would always deflate, as the whole of London cooked their roast dinners – with gas, of course.

When my father moved into sheltered housing in the 1980s, the view from his flat looked over the rooftops to a gasometer, and I have a watercolour sketch he painted of it, which is very dear to me.

My father's watercolour of the gasometer in Redbridge

Imagine my delight, then, when we arrived at St Pancras for a day trip to London this last Wednesday and the first thing we saw after heading for the Regent's Canal was the newly renovated area behind King's Cross with its transformed gasometers. The story of how the area came to remain home to these landmarks from my youth can be found here. However, I didn't know that when we arrived.

As is always the case when Koos and I go somewhere, we head straight for the waterside, and coming into London on the Eurostar made this easy for us. The Regent's Canal is just a short walk from the station and it was in the area around St Pancras and King's Cross that we spent the day, absorbing the canal, the locks, the new developments and the old Battlebridge Basin with the London Canal Museum.

Our first sight of the canal was limited to a short stretch of towpath where a number of residential boats were lying. I always enjoy seeing these somewhat motley collections of liveaboard craft, so here are a few 

Looking west from St Pancras


A liveaboard? Hard to imagine, but who knows?

These two were definitely home to their owners


The floating garden

And more boats



I loved this old mooring ring

Realising we couldn't go further along this particular stretch, we headed back off the towpath and almost immediately found our way into a shopping complex created from the re-purposed Coal DropsYard. This was the name for the warehouses where coal was received from South Yorkshire for both the nearby gasometers and for transhipment onto the narrowboats on the Regent's Canal. The yard had fallen out of use over the years with the increased use of electricity, as had the gasometers, so it was wonderful to see how these old 19th century buildings and structures have now been renovated to serve another, more modern, function. The gasometer frames are being used to contain apartment buildings as well as a very special small park.

What I loved was that you can see them from so many places and angles, just as we could when I was a child.

Here they are behind the Coal Drops Yard where we had lunch

And again as we entered the shopping centre

A view from the towpath that we reached from Coal Drops yard

The original mechanism for raising and lowering
the holders



And lastly, the park in a gasometer frame,
which is there for everyone to enjoy

The gorgeous old St Pancras Waterpoint 

The lovely St Pancras Waterpoint above is also visible from many different angles. It has a special history as it was designed by the famous architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott and was built in 1872 as the water tower that served the King's Cross steam engines. However, its existence was threatened when the Eurostar tunnel to St Pancras was planned, but being such a historically important building, a decision was made to move it. The story of its relocation is here. I have to say I so admire British historical societies for their determination to maintain their heritage even at what, in this case, must have been considerable cost.

And, of course, we cannot have a canal without a lock
This is St Pancras Lock

After lunch, we took a look at King's Cross Station, which is one of my favourites. We didn't get to see the Harry Potter Platform, unfortunately, although I believe the fact it was at King's Cross was a mistake on JK Rowling's part. Apparently, she was thinking of Euston Station a bit further along the road. What's in a name, eh?

Our final stop of the day was at the London Canal Museum on Battlebridge Basin. I think it deserves a post all of its own, so I'll finish here with a photo of the residential moorings in the Basin. If I ever had the chance to live in London again, this is where I'd want to be. What a lovely, tranquil spot it was and right in the heart of the city too. Heaven on a boat!


So that's it for this time, allemaal. We only had six hours in London, but we had a wonderful day. Next time, I'll tell you all about the Italians who brought ice to the city. Now that's another story...

And this is for Rebecca, an entirely gratuitous
photo of Zoe.


26 comments:

  1. That's an interesting area and right in the centre of London. Lots of research and photo's which I enjoyed seeing Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. I have a special attachment to gasometers and was have been sad to see so many dismantled completely. I think this initiative to turn them into residential areas is a wonderful way to preserve them.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for enlightening me! I knew nothing about gasometers! So interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, I missed responding to your comment, and I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Could I ask that if you ever comment again, you give your name at the end (first name is fine!). I really like to be able to reply personally.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating, Val! Had never even heard of gasometers before. Your father's watercolor is lovely...and as for Zoe...what a face! Glad you got "home" to revisit London and found so many joys. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Steph. I know there were gasometers in the States, but maybe not down in Texas. They were part of the landscape of my childhood and I'm so fond of them.

      Delete
  4. Oh hi’ya Val, it’s me ginabea. Thank you for the six hours and for the history lesson, truly. I had no idea what I was seeing when I lived off the northern line. Although I dreamed of the lives inhabited along the camden loch. Zoe is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi, Gina! Lovely to see you here. I too dream of their lives and of living along the canal near Camden lock. Actually, living along the canal anywhere in London is the stuff of dreams. I'm really glad you enjoyed my tour. xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this very interesting and informative post! I had no idea. :D The naivete of youth is always endearing. And the gasometers sound like something out of a Roald Dahl story. Bless you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm so pleased you enjoyed it, Fran. You grew up in Kenya, so I'm guessing you may never have seen them when they were still in operation. They were definitely a bit Sci-Fi, if not surreal :) xx

      Delete
  6. Sorry, that last comment was from Fran Macilvey :D Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fascinating blog Val, your blogs are always so unusual and interesting, keep ‘em coming! Lally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lally. It’s always fun to share these small adventures. Xx

      Delete
  8. Anonymous Helen Devries.....whata change for the area as I knew it when working in London all those years ago! I just hope the small businesses and local people were not made to disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Helen. Since the gasometers and coal sheds were industrial, I guess not many people lived on the sites, but I’m sure there must have been small businesses that had to move. However, the disruption caused by the expansion of the stations probably did that first. It’s always sad to see local people ‘s interests pushed out of the way when big projects begin, I agree.

      Delete
  9. What a super trip you and Koos have had Val. London has so much history and it's a delight to see such a beautiful and interesting area right in the centre of the city. What a transformation from its industrial past. There was a gasometer in the little town where I live but it's long gone now. It was quite a feature. Thank you so much for the gratuitous picture of Zoe. That sweet little face just makes me smile xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, the gasometers were such a feature, weren't they? I can imagine many people didn't like them, but I've always been fond of them. It's lovely to see the transformation includes the old industrial buildings too. Britain is so good at re-purposing landmarks like these, and I found the history so interesting. Thank you as always for reading my blog, and Zoe sends wags. She will happily pose for photos for you. :) xxx

      Delete
    2. Val, I grew up in a little industrial town in central Scotland. We had a Gasometer,Steel Foundry, several Brickworks in Armadale and Coal mines nearby. A feature of our town was all the chimneys, I was sad when the 'last lum' was demolished. A lot of the signs of our industrial past have disappeared. I love our industrial heritage. I;m very happy to have wags from Zoe, her sweet but serious wee face just makes me smile. xx

      Delete
    3. I'm so with you there, Rebecca. I too love our industrial heritage, and I'm always drawn to chimneys. I would have loved to see Armadale when it still had its own crop of them! I'll have to go through my photos and see if I can find some of the ones I've taken photos of over the years.

      Delete
  10. I used to live in London and often enjoyed walking around areas like you shared in this post. Battlebridge Basin is somewhere I have not spent a lot of time but it does look and sound tranquil. Thanks for sharing this, it was lovely to read as I miss the UK very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Molly, I know how you feel. I was born in London and grew up with the Camden area as a close stamping ground. However, I haven't lived in the UK for most of my life now. I still miss it too and am grateful I can still visit. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  11. Thank you, Val for the new info on gasometers. I had not heard of them. I love the plants on the liveaboard boats.But the painting by your father is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad you enjoyed it, Lynn. The plants are lovely aren't they. It's a delightful community altogether. I love my father's painting not only because he painted it but also because of the subject.

      Delete
  12. What an interesting post. Having lived in west London as a child I remember also being fascinated by those huge gasometers. So long since I have visited London - must make the effort next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. It's well worth a visit now, and the area still has heaps of character.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)