Saturday, November 11, 2023

Haute-Marne, the height of French rural loveliness

Well, here is the post I promised you all about our new destination in France. To recap, my daughter has bought a house in the Haute-Marne department of France's Grand-Est region. According to that wonderful source of all superficial knowledge, Wikipedia, Haute-Marne is one of the 83 departments created during the French Revolution in 1790. It was made up of parts of the Champagne, Burgundy, Lorraine and Franche Comté provinces, but is dominated by the beautiful Marne valley which runs through the department from its source just south of Langres to Saint-Dizier in the north before continuing out of Haute-Marne west on its way to Paris. The map below shows the course of the river along with all the tributaries that feed it.


The Marne and its feeder rivers

All the department's major towns are on the Marne. I say 'all', but there are only five of them: Langres, Nogent, Chautmont (the prefecture), Joinville and Saint-Dizier. Of these, only Saint-Dizier and Chautmont have populations over twenty thousand. The other three boast numbers well below ten thousand, with Joinville being the smallest at just over three thousand. 

Koos and I visited Chaumont and Joinville and were impressed by the sense of important urban life that both places exuded. Just as an example, our local town on the Dutch/Belgian border, Sas van Gent, has a larger population than Joinville but still feels like little more than a village. Joinville, on the other hand, seems to have bigger muscles and has more self-assurance as a town of substance. 

It also has a more aristocratic history than our Sas van Gent. Joinville was originally the site of an important castle in medieval times and gave its name to the title, Prince of Joinville, adopted by the renowned House of Guise. Its heritage is visible, giving a nod to classical French urban architecture in the centre and the delightful shuttered houses lining the Marne’s banks. There is a formal park, the remains of the castle and some gorgeous ancient backstreets, all the more delightful for their air of shabby chic.

Chaumont, a much larger city as well as being the department capital, also has a long and noble history. Dating back to the 12th century as a seat of the Counts of Bassigny and later of Champagne, there is not much remaining of its early origins, but the basilica dates from the 13th century and there's also the Tour Hautefeuille, an 11th century castle keep, the only morsel left from the chateau of the Counts of Champagne. I was sorry we didn't see as much of Chaumont as we'd have liked, but we've promised ourselves we'll redress that situation next time we go. That said, we had a good look at the amazing 19th century viaduct (as mentioned in my previous post) and had a drive around the town before Karen, our Google Satnav lady had a digital meltdown and got us lost (also in last post). The photo below was the view from the city at the top of the hill where we stopped to give Karen time to reflect on her shameful loss of control. 


View across the Marne valley from Chaumont's
city heights

I liked Chaumont back streets too. The local stone in Haute-Marne is limestone and I loved its pale colour with the gorgeous traditional shutters.

One of the back streets in Chaumont

Closer to where we were staying, the commune centre of Colombey-Les-Deux-Églises is a picture-perfect, very well maintained village famous for being the home of Charles de Gaulle. His family home was there, it’s where he is buried, and the Cross of Lorraine just outside the village commemorates his distinguished wartime career. I was expecting a town of some size, but it’s small, cosy and very pretty in a neatly manicured way – probably because it attracts so many tourists to the museum that bears De Gaulle's name. The memorial was inaugurated in 2008 by Nicolas Sarkozy and Angela Merkel, presumably as an act of reconciliation. I remember my parents talking about De Gaulle when I was a child, but their comments weren't generally complimentary. 

For me, coming from the red brick environs and eclectic architecture of the north, Haute-Marne offered a serene uniformity in its villages and towns. The overall impression they gave me as we drove through the region was an uncluttered grace, even though many of the rural houses were run down and some were completely dilapidated. 

It took me a while to notice something else too: the sweep of the land is unbroken by farmhouses or barns. I can only assume the farmers have their homes and 'granges' in the villages and go out to their farms by tractor. Almost every house in my daughter's hamlet has a barn next to or at the back of it; many of them seem to be full of hay and machinery. Maybe this is the Haute-Marne way? If any of you reading this know, feel free to fill me in. The lack of buildings on the land adds to the impression of remote tranquillity, which I loved. In fact, I am itching to go back again. 

So that's it again allemaal. Hopefully, by next week we'll have some dryer weather and I can report on  outdoor activities that don't involve replacing broken roof tiles or placing buckets to catch the drips from our leaky sunroom roof. For those who haven't seen it yet, I'll finish with a photo of the Legend of the Ladder himself, Koos, doing the final touches after replacing five tiles that went west with the wind.



20 comments:

  1. Intriguing, as always. And charming no matter who took the photos! Even looks like good weather! lol (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, the weather was lovely when we were there too. Thank you for reading. My friend. How is your eye?

      Delete
  2. What a lovely area and such history to it. Even though the photo's aren't yours I enjoyed seeing them. Especially the one of the back streets.
    I hope someone was "footing" that ladder Koos was on!
    Take care, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, David. There’s history everywhere in France, which is a huge drawcard for me. I’m pleased the photo you liked the most really was one of mine, but I wish I’d taken more! And yes, my daughter was at the foot of the ladder when I snapped Koos up there. We did a kind of relay. I passed her a tile and she passed it up to Koos who met her halfway.

      Delete
  3. Hi Val - what a delightful area your daughter has selected ... it sounds and looks amazing - great history too ... all the more to explore on future visits.

    The weather hasn't improved much has it - another storm coming in tonight I gather ... bucket loads of the stuff ... people/farmers are really suffering. I'm glad the ladder was footed ... I was at a geological programme yesterday - and saw how they investigated Stonehenge - when health and safety weren't really in existence - mind you there was none when it was built in neolithic times - cheers - hope the weather doesn't hamper you. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, thank you! Talking of health and safety I saw an old photo of a Ford van with a step ladder on its roof and a man at the top of the ladder fixing a street lamp. It just goes to show health and safety are modern inventions and judging by your story about stonehenge, there were more centuries without it than might ever be with it. :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely town your daughter moved to and lucky for you and Koos, you can always visit and enjoy it. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos even if it's not yours, I enjoyed your photos from the last blog too. Nevertheless, the information your feeding us with the photos are golden nuggets! Would love to visit the area one day. Glad you are all safe from the storm and your roof is intact now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for reading my blog, Mitos. I know how busy you are so I'm very grateful for the time you took to read and comment. It is indeed a beautiful area and thank you for being generous about the photos. Actually, three of these really are mine, so I didn't pinch them all, haha :D I feel almost ashamed for mentioning our few broken tiles when I think of the storm you went through. I'm so glad you are in a safe place now!

      Delete
  5. These are great pictures, Val. I hope Mo enjoys loads of tranquility along the Marne. It would be a haven for any artist or writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lynn. I apologise for the late reply here. It’s been a bit hectic the last couple of weeks. I agree, though. It would indeed be a haven.

      Delete
  6. You're doing a great job promoting the area, Val. History, besutiful countryside and culture. Très bon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aidan. I’m looking forward to going again?

      Delete
  7. A fascinating blog Val, I love that you tell us so much about the history of the area! Sorry Karen misbehaved, call me old fashioned but I’m a paper atlas person myself! Lally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Lally, yes! I prefer paper maps too, but we didn’t have one for the area and they’re not so easy to buy these days!

      Delete
  8. Thoroughly enjoyed your post! Your perspective is refreshing. Keep up the great work and write more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful area Val, thanks for sharing the history with us, although I expect there will be many other places to explore. The photos are lovely and do give a wonderful impression of the various towns and surrounding area. Great photo of Koos the Roofer too - but where's Zoe? I miss the puppy pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies for the late response, but I’m so pleased you enjoyed it, Rebecca. I love the history of the area and there’s so much to discover. My apologies for the lack of Zoe pics. I’ll make sure to add one to my next post.. ;)

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful looking area and lucky you for having a good reason to visit it more often now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely, Jenny, and not a difficult drive to reach it either.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)