Monday, June 12, 2006

25 Years and still Rocking!

This last weekend I was in the UK with my sister and her husband (a.k.a Toots and Chris) to help them celebrate their Silver Wedding anniversary. It was a terrific party because my brother-in-law plays drums for a rock and roll band of which he at fifty something is the youngest member! They put on a really great show and we danced until the blisters on our feet popped and were just too tired to rock any more. This pic is of my sister (left) with Laurance (centre), a French friend who came all the way from southern Champagne to be there and Rozzy (right)one of my sister's twin daughters.

In this photo, you can just see Chris behind his drum kit. I saw them play last year, and cannot believe the improvement this time round, especially with big bro-in-law who has gained so much confidence. We were really impressed...watch out Zak Starkey!

My sister and her babies, Sophy and Rozzy, the two sweetest girls (apart from mine and Dale's and Gypsy's) in the universe! There is an older sister, Sarah, who was also there, and is also lovely, but somehow she never came in shot.



Finally, it had to be done! The Family Photo! But, sadly, I still didn't get Sarah or Sophy, who also vanished at that point. Here, you can see from right to left: Brothers Chris and Nick, then sister Toots, Rozzy, Diana wife of Chris, Liz wife of Nick and lastly, the beautiful Eleanor, youngest of Nick's three daughters. I'm so sorry poor Diana is pulling such a face here and I didn't notice it until after the party when they had all gone and couldn't do a re-take..She was so much fun on the dance floor. Hard to believe she's just retired!


It was great to be with my brothers again, because I hardly ever see them - the last time was four years ago at Chris's son's wedding. We lead very different lives, and never really know what each other is doing, but it was good to spend those few hours remembering that we really are a family, and I can just be thankful for occasions like these that give us the reason and motivation we need to keep that bond alive.

Thank you Toots and Chris for a memorable evening. I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and may you have another 25 wonderful years together.

24 comments:

  1. firstly thankyou for sharing your lovely weekend...it looks by the photos that you had a right knees up...it is great to be able to get together with friends and family to celebrate..laugh ..dance and feel love and warmth...party on i say!..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeeey, you're never too old to rock and roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Val

    It's so nice to hear you had a lovely weekend with your family. I know what its like not seeing brothers, sisters & parents for a long time.

    I am looking forward to my trip to Montreal with Bobby & Jenny in the summer.
    We'll get to visit the place where I grew up & visit with Grandma & Grandpa.

    I love the photos & the great rock & roll story accompanying them!

    So, he's a drummer, is he...

    :)
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay, Gypsy, we had a terrific knees up, specially me and my big sis! We've always taken the floor together to get the parties going, and that has never changed!

    Ian, you are sooooo right..

    And yes, Dale, he IS a drummer.....! And not bad at that.....! :-)

    And yes, we had a really good time, so I can imagine you're looking forward to your family holiday. It's a bit like re-connecting to the mains after being on battery power...if you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val,
    Glad you had a great weekend. That's cool that you brother can still rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. val im always the last one on the dance floor long after the music has finished..he he...

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...yes Gypsy, I can see you dancing with yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Val,
    How wonderful that you were able to reconnect with your siblings and the rest of your family this weekend! It truly is precious to be able to do that. I am so excited about seeing old friends and family in a few weeks' time, as well as meeting some very dear new ones.

    Thanks for your generosity of words on my writing blog. I'm so glad you've been enjoying the novel so far- hang on to your hat, the ride's not quite over, and it's about to get very bumpy.

    Cheers,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Val,
    just to let you know, I added two chapters to bring the year 1980 to a close. Enjoy.

    -AM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi mum,

    Wow sounds like you had a fantastic weekend too. Its a shame I couldn't be there to see the family as well but I must admit getting engaged in Edinburgh was a tad more attractive :)

    Photo's and report will follow soon.

    Oh and there are three more chapters of the book on my blog.

    xxx
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Val,
    Nice a week-end in the UK and having a party as well.
    What kind of R&R are they doing?
    Do they write their own stuff or play the classics?
    Love,
    Erik-Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Val

    Just a quick note to let you know that Murphy passed away yesterday.

    Love
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been a bit low in energy the last few days, and instead of doing the rounds in blogland, I've been sleeping (!), so apologies to Renate, Jodie, Metalchick and of course, Anne Marie, for the lack of response.

    Many thanks for your comments one and all, and hopefully, I'll be back on form shortly..Dale, thank you for letting me know about your Murphy, I've left a comment on your blog, and Gypsy, I'll be with you again soon too! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erik Jan
    I'm, ashamed, I forgot to mention you too. Thanks again for your interst. My brother in law's band play mostly covers, but do also play some of their own material. It's nearly all sixties style rock and roll, as in early style Stones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Val

    Thanks for your kind words on my Murphy posts.

    I had no idea it would hit me so hard - it's been a rough couple of days.

    I am blessed with a great co-workers who understand when I hide in a corner & cry...

    Love
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  16. val, you have a great family- i once knew a bloke who could dance to the bingo caller but thats a rubbish story- thanks for all of yours and koos support!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Val,
    Thanks for the kind words. I think your daughter's story is quite engaging so far, loving it. And speaking of the great writers in your family, when are we going to get treated to the next installment of African Ways?

    Love,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dale! Keith would be proud of you...:-)) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Neil! anything you say will be treated in confidence! Your nonsense is safe with me...:-)

    Dale dear, I can always count on you to get the joke...even the ones I don't get myself!

    Thanks Anne Marie, you do me honour! I've left details of the latest offering on your post.

    Thanks all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Val,
    I will put up some more chapters as soon as I can. Sorry I couldn't warn you as to what was coming.

    Have a good weekend, my dear.

    Love,
    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Val,

    Good to see you had such a good time in England.

    By the way, I added some more pics to the postings on Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Val, very nice post!

    Thanks for saying hello on my blog.

    My band (The Rumble Strips) have a new song that we're putting out this week on IAC.

    I'll let you know when it's up so you can check it out.

    Hope all is well, Ed

    P.S. Jellyfish is a wonderfull band! Those 2 albums are essential to my musical life! I'm so happy to know that you love them also.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)