Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Father's Day Tribute to my Pa


Inspired by Anne Marie's heartwarming post about her father, I am shamelessly copying her for my own tribute to my beloved Pa, who as I write, lies infirm and totally disabled by all the strokes he has had in a north London nursing home. I have photos of him as he is now, but they are too sad and reflect nothing of the kind, intelligent and gentle soul that he used to be - a caring Daddy to my sister and me, and a wonderful grandfather to my daughters. He stimulated any artistic inclinations any of us had, and encouraged us to be forever curious about our world. From him, I know I learnt what is is to keep a sense of wonder about nature and its ways.  
 These pictures were taken in London at the end of the 80's when I escaped a crumbling marriage to spend some time back in England. I feel you can see the kindness beaming from his face, and the picture below in Trafalgar Square is typical of the attention he paid my little daughters. When we were young, he was very busy with his work and so didn't have this kind of 'quality' time to spend with us, but I do remember it was my Pa who always made sure we had our 'brolleys' when it was raining and buttoned our coats up before we went to school....bless him..

 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Val,
    What a handsome man your father was. You can see the kindness in his eyes, absolutely. I love the picture with your daughters- he is completely engaged with them and how positively they are responding.

    What a truly wonderful gift great fathers are. Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe val thats so lovely...looking at the picture you can see what a kind and thoughtful man he was..you too are a testamony of how wonderful he was...i never got on with my dad..until mam died ..then i started to take more care of him and we kinda got closer in the last couple of years of his life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anne Marie and Gypsy. My father was so good to my girls during that time we were in London, and again so encouraged their creative talents. Last time I went to see him, I found a letter one of my daughter had written to him quite recently in which she thanks him so sweetly for giving her the support she needed to draw and paint and develop her talent. It was so touching and so true. I was deeply moved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats so nice a lasting memorie of how helpful he was... treasure it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi seetheart. Thanks for dropping by. that is tough about your dad. It's funny how it turns full circle and we worry about them instead of them worrying about us.

    Be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Val,
    Oh what a beautiful tribute for a very special person. Yes I can see the kindness in his face.
    I'm so sorry he is not well, but it's good that you are reflecting and remembering the special times you and your daughters spent with him.
    That's wonderful that he encouraged all of your creative talents.
    Was he artistic as well?
    I'll say a little prayer for him and you too.
    Still need to read your other blog!
    So sorry - I was in NYC stalking singers and actors. You know how it goes.(Ok hopefully you don't).
    I even met Anna McGarrigle's husband Dane and daughter Lilly!
    Oh and got my zillionth Rufus autograph. ho hum.
    I promise to post details about my little excursion soon (I am SO far behind on my blog it's not funny!).
    Take care and hi to Koos! I promise to drop by his bloggie soon.
    -Sue D.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet, sweet man! Beautiful tribute!!! Fantastic! God bless him...and you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awe val thats so lovely...looking at the picture you can see what a kind and thoughtful man he was..you too are a testamony of how wonderful he was...i never got on with my dad..until mam died ..then i started to take more care of him and we kinda got closer in the last couple of years of his life...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tribute! I'm happy for you, Val. What a wonderful inheritance for you and your daughters.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)