Thursday, December 22, 2022

Wrapping it up for the year


Here we are again. It's my Christmas post and it's time to wrap up the year as well as the gifts. I won't be sorry to see the back of 2022 (where have I heard that before? Oh yes, here, last year), but then again, the upside is that we've all seen it through and are still here to bravely go where none have gone before...into 2023.

So what has this year seen?

Well, in January, we were still enjoying the novelty of having the Vereeniging in a new location. I wrote posts about the town of Oudenbosch, where she is moored and also about our visit to Roosendaal, a nearby city with an interesting waterways development. We enjoyed our explorations despite the winter weather, although we weren't able to go by boat even though we'd really hoped to do so.

An interesting feature in the waterside
at Roosendaal

Locally, February brought us a triple whammy of dreadful storms. In quick succession, we had Dudley, Eunice and Franklin, all of which inflicted considerable damage in the flatlands and had us haring around trying to prevent damage to the Vereeniging when flooding increased the levels in the river to (rope) stretching point. I've never had to paddle to my barge before, but on that occasion, we had to wade through the water to reach her and release the over-taut ropes that were causing her to list alarmingly. On an international level, it was, as we all know, the beginning of the tragedy that is the Ukraine war. I'm sure we all believed in February that it would be over by now. As usual, our optimism that peace would prevail was misplaced. 


High water on the river

March was a most peculiar month. Not only did we have our first severe frost, but we were also plagued by dust storms from the Sahara. The year was throwing more than a few weatherly tantrums. I think everyone in Europe was complaining about the red skies and sandy dust that found its way into every nook, cranny and crack, as well as onto every surface. The Vereeniging and the Hennie H both changed colour over night. And it wasn't just a one-off incident either. We had repeat performances of the Sahara sensation over the whole week. I wrote a blog about it here.

In April, I finally managed to visit my family for the first time since Covid struck us. I hadn't been to the UK since December 2019, so it was a real joy to fly to England without being subjected to restrictions. Although I stayed with my sister, our family reunion took place at the beautiful village of Lechlade on Thames where we had lunch overlooking the river and enjoyed a glorious walk along the narrowboat-lined banks. The trip was definitely one of the highlights of my year. Later in the month, we had the Hennie H lifted out and inspected; much to our relief, she passed with flying colours.


The following month of May was one of mixed blessings, or should I say curses? On the upside, the weather was beautiful and I had the pleasure of exploring the gorgeous city of Middelburg with my daughter in hot sunshine. The city was at its best with the trees in full leaf and bloom. The downside was  our increasing awareness that we had a serious problem with the Hennie H's engine, a problem that reared its head when we came back from our inspection and that was to persist until July.

Middelburg

Middelburg

Looking back through my blogs, I notice I didn't post much in June, mainly because I was very busy with work, but the first post I wrote focused on the fun we experienced when the bridge over the canal at Sas van Gent was closed for maintenance, the fun part being that we had to take a ferry across. For more than a week, I made a point of going to Sas every day just so I could enjoy a daily boat trip while we were stuck in harbour with the engine problem. 


The ferry with cyclists boarding

During June, Koos also took a break to make a trip to Hungary, a short and much needed holiday. Then, following his return, most of July was spent testing the Hennie H's engine, which continued to give us problems until eventually, the company that sold it to us supplied us with an electric fuel pump, which, thankfully, solved the problem. However, as they say, when one door opens, another closes. We approached the end of the month full of optimism that we would be off on holiday within a week, but the fates had other ideas for us.

In the last week of July, Koos started getting pain in his arms, an alarming signal we both knew well. This meant his heart was acting up, or at least the blood wasn't circulating through his heart properly. He'd had two previous attacks like this, both of which resulted in surgery to insert stents. Sadly, this was a repeat performance, but it took some time and three ambulance calls to persuade the medics that it was serious. This was the post I wrote about it after a week of constant to'ing and fro'ing to doctors and hospitals.

Eventually, though, he and we were fit to go and go we did. We had the most wonderful month faring  through Belgium and northern France making magical memories again. I wasn't able to blog while we were away, so all my travel blogs were written in September and October. You can find them here, herehere and here.

The most peaceful of French canals at Tupigny

Going through the Historic lifts at La Louvière

We were back in our home port of Sas van Gent on September the 10th, however. This urgency was because we had another lift out organised; this time with the Vereeniging, which was also being inspected. Again, much to our relief, she passed and we enjoyed a lovely short cruise to and from the yard. I blogged about this in October as well.

October itself saw my return to work and routine life. We cat sat for a week for my daughter and enjoyed having furry friends in the house again. I also spent time doing up some old kists (blanket chests), which is something I have always enjoyed. Both cats and kists are in this post.



So that brings me up to November, a special month that had me taking a trip to Leiden to see the older of my two daughters graduate, an event that resulted in two blog posts: one about the graduation ceremony and the other about the city of Leiden, a beautiful and ancient seat of learning.

And now, here we are in December. To even the balance, my last post was about my other daughter's achievements as a karter, a sport she has embraced since being here in the Netherlands. However, something I haven't written about this year has been the two very sad losses we've had in the family. Both girls lost their beloved dogs to sudden and fatal illnesses, neither of which can be explained. They were devastated and I too was deeply saddened about losing my beloved grandpups, Charlie and Luna. They were such important members of our family.

But now Mo has a new spaniel puppy who is doing his best to fill the space. The delightful Mack has joined their household, and last weekend, Koos and I puppy-sat for Mo and her boyfriend while they attended a previously arranged commitment. He was an absolute delight; so sweet and so affectionate. An adorable bundle of wiggling, piddling joy 😊

Needless to say, he will also be joining us this weekend at the crumbly cottage and will be very welcome. It seems fitting that the new year will begin with such a charming addition to our lives.



Welcome to little Mack

So to end this endless post, allemaal, here's wishing you all a lovely festive season, a blessed Christmas (if you celebrate it) and a peaceful and positive new year. Look after yourselves and I'll see you in 2023.

21 comments:

  1. Love your blogs, Val. What a year you've had! I love it that you have a "piddling" dog in the family now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Shirley! I love it that you enjoy my blogs. Wishing you and yours a lovely Christmas down under. Lots of love! Xxx

      Delete
  2. What an up and down year, Val. God bless you. You are wonderful and amazing and your blogs are always priceless. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Steph. The fondness is mutual, my friend. I admire you very much too. Xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh, what an adorable little pup. Welcome to little Mack - I hope we see some of his adventures from time to time. What an eventful year you have had, and what a great blog post reliving the whole year. Your boat trip was wonderful and I really enjoyed all the stories and photos. Have a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year, dear Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much, Patricia. I’m so glad we can still keep in touch through our blogs. Wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas and New Year!

      Delete
  4. You've had a really stressful year Val, all the trouble with the boat & then Koos' health problems. It must have been even more enjoyable to eventually come through them and have a peaceful trip along the canals & waterways. I enjoyed the boat pictures in this post and also from Middleburg too.
    I empathise entirely with your daughters' losing their dogs, as you may know we lost our beloved Suzi this year at a time when I found it difficult to cope. It's the worst part of being a dog lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, David. I really felt for your losing Suzi when you did. It’s hard enough when you’re well, but for you it must have been a horrible blow. I’m so pleased you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  5. Happy Christmas to you both and here's to a so much better New Year for us all. Knuffles, xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Anne. Do let’s hope so. Knuffles to you and Ol too! Xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh Val what an up and down year it has been for you. Sad about the dogs, losing a pet affects you deeply. My granddaughters Giant rabbit died last week and the three girls are so upset. A new puppy at your house is lovely and bring so much happiness. I'm reading your latest book just now and enjoying it. Have a lovely tile over the holidays. Anne Mackle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, thank you for the kind words about the dogs. I can well imagine the little girls are very upset about their rabbit. Losing a pet so young is very hard. Yes, little Mack is the salve my daughter needed. He is such a sweetie.

      Delete
    2. PS, thank you for reading my book! Xx

      Delete
  7. A wonderful wrap up of the year and fantastic photos. Praying for you to have a marvelous 2023...with lots of sun! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Steph. My apologies for the late reply but the last few days have been busy, as I'm sure they have been for you too. Blessings to you both for 2023, and let's hope for lots of that sunshine we both relish! xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh Val, this "wrapping it up" definitely reflects the posts regarding your ups and downs of the past year. (I may not comment on every post, but rest assured, I read them all!) It has been a more than complicated year for us here, and I hope 2023 brings the peace we all need. Gene and I send you and Koos mountains of love and wish you all the best for the coming year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Dale. I always value your thoughtful comments and am so grateful that you read my posts. I do hope 2023 will be less complicated for you and you will find a happy equilibrium. Oceans of love from us both XXX

      Delete
  9. Another enjoyable blog to finish the year, Val. I don't know where you find the time? Here's to a better 2023 and better health for all! Cheers, Aidan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aidan. The same to you, and let's keep in touch!

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous summary of your year! All the very best to you both for 2023. I hope it'll be as full and exciting as the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Roger. It’s looking good so far!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)