Monday, November 21, 2022

Lovely Leiden

Well, another week has sped by and I find it's Monday already. Where all this time goes, I have no idea, but it seems to disappear down a hole called  'the week that was'. I can't remember for the life of me what I've done, other than work, do chores and try to fit in some writing or some other creative (or at least constructive) pursuit.

Anyway, mini moan over, I promised you a blog post about our visit to Leiden for my daughter's graduation. I've been to the city a few times and on each occasion, I've been struck by what a beautiful place it is: elegant, charming, lively and as typically Dutch as you can get.  I didn't take all that many photos of it this time as we were side-tracked by our visit to the Timmerwerf  but I'll add some photos of a previous visit at the end so you can see more than the historic harbour area, which is what we focused on this time.

An overview of where we were in the historic harbour
Thanks to George Lezenby for the photo found on Flickr

As all my readers here know, I am drawn to the water wherever I go, and if there are old, traditional barges to see, all the better. Leiden has its own historic harbour, which despite being small is home to around a dozen beautiful old sailing barges. My daughter knew I'd want to see them so on our way back to the station she indulged her mum and I was able to take a few photos. The light wasn't the best, but I think you'll agree there are some lovely classic craft to be seen.





The harbour is also home to the beautiful Stadstimmerwerf building. It used to be one of a pair that enclosed a complete yard for not only carpentry (timmerwerk) but also other crafts such as a forge for steelwork. According to the guide who lured us into the remaining building with promises of history (always irresistible), the city carpenter lived in the house and worked in the yard. It looks a beautiful place to reside, but I'm guessing that in those days (the early 17th century), it probably had little in the way of luxury. What we see now as a gracious and gorgeous house in a highly desirable location would just have been an ordinary home combined with a work place for the man in that position. The other identical building that used to form the frontage of the yard was apparently used for storage purposes. However, that has long gone.




What the interior had, though, was some beautiful original tiling on the walls and floors, some of which remains to this day as can be seen in the photos below. The tiles have themes, and on the wall  in the picture below, those up at the end by the stairs were all of horses and riders in different poses. Towards this end, they are people, all in pairs, involved in various activities, such as playing games, pushing each other on swings and even just talking. I found them quite delightful and was impressed they'd survived so long.


The tiles on the wall by these old and original stairs were very sweet. They were rather primitive depictions of what looked like Cupid in numerous different poses. I couldn't help thinking 'if only the walls could talk'. What history they have seen!


Stairs to the upper floor

Steps down to the cellar, also with tiled walls 
and an apparently original floor


These days, the rooms in the building are used as exhibition space for local artists. In some ways, I found their work a little incongruous with the surroundings, but then it is also a rather special place in which to exhibit. I think most artists would love the opportunity to hang their paintings on these venerable old walls.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post, Leiden is a lovely, gracious city that exudes a traditional Dutch atmosphere and is very much a seat of learning. To finish, then, here are the promised pics of an earlier visit when time wasn't an issue.



Like all Dutch cities, Leiden has canals and boats

And lifting bridges too

Not to mention bikes; 
it's a university city, after all

The wedding cake church: de Hartebrugkerk

Typical Dutch high street: elegant old houses, bikes and people


The 'Burcht' in Leiden, an ancient keep, originally built in 1060

View of Leiden from the Burcht

View of the 14th century Hooglandse Kerk from the Burcht

If you'd like to know more about Leiden and its history, Wikipedia always comes to the rescue, so here is the link for the Burcht, and here is a general link for Leiden itself.

Enjoy the rest of the week allemaal. I have more DIY news to come next week, so if that doesn't float your boat (so to speak), just watch this space for further explorations of our environs.





 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Val! What a fantastic blog post! I've never been to Leiden but it's on the wishlist now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very well worth visiting, Kathleen and easy to reach on the train too. There's plenty to see as a visitor and lots of museums as well (I think).

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your blogs are always amazing - which is not surprising because YOU are amazing too. Thanks for the lovely look into an iconic Dutch city. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much, Steph. You say the nicest things, my dear. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Leiden!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Val & Leiden is certainly a picturesque place. It's nice to see such blue skies in your photo's, I particularly enjoyed the one of the bikes and old street lamp, lovely light streaming through. Pity the light wasn't better for the sailing barges but they are fine looking vessels.
    I'm giving a talk about the Louth Canal to members of my local camera club soon, it'll be over zoom though as we are still a bit wary of mixing. David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. I'm glad you enjoyed a virtual visit to Leiden. I'll have to try and take some better photos of the boats next time I go. I think it might have been more successful if I'd taken them earlier when we were on our way to the ceremony. We were on the other side of the harbour and the view and the light were better. Good luck with your talk! I'll bet that's interesting. Will you be recording it?

      Delete
    2. I hadn't thought of recording it but may do. I'm aware of how to record it but not what happens later with saving it etc. My son will know. David.

      Delete
    3. That would be great. I'd love to watch the recording if you can manage it. I hope your son can help out!

      Delete
    4. I'll see if we can arrange that. David.

      Delete
  4. Hi Val - I've always wanted to visit Leiden - so thanks for the tour around ... a place with lots of scientific history pertaining to it. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, Hilary. A wonderful, ancient seat of learning and a very beautiful city. Well worth visiting if you can. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. On a cold day in Geneva, I feel as I had a lovely tour or Leiden. I was there years and years ago and you reminded me of its charm. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)