Monday, November 28, 2022

More of a picture post

I thought I'd catch up with a few photos I've taken lately that I haven't used in other posts. Firstly, though, I thought readers here might like to see the finished kist (blanket chest) I started working on some weeks back. It's been much more work than I anticipated and it's still not as good as I'd like it to be, but I can't afford to spend more time on it now. The scratches on the top were already there and try as I might, I cannot smooth them out, so I'm just calling it character. Here it is ready to be hauled into my bedroom.




Apart from the kist, I've also been assisting Koos with a project to enlarge our loo on the Hennie H. It's been an annoyance for years because it was so small, there wasn't even room to swing a mouse in it, let alone a cat, so Koos took the initiative, bit all sorts of bullets and started dismantling the part that needed expanding. We don't have much room on the HH as it is, but the extra thirty odd centimetres will give us significantly more standing room.


The photo above was stage one with the back and side walls removed. That was a phenomenal job in itself as the construction was fit for a load-bearing wall in a house. Seeing as this is the smallest room on a boat, it seemed a bit extreme. The back wall had not one, but three layers, two of which were on each side of a frame sturdy enough to hold the entire roof up. Luckily, it didn't or we might have had second thoughts. The tongue-and-groove ceiling also had to come out and we found two layers there as well. Rest assured, the new model will be far less complicated, and I'll post some photos of the new construction soon. It's halfway there.

In other news, I went for a real grey November walk the other day and came across this delightful sight.





It's a row of little bee and insect hotels built by the locals along the edge of a field where they're trying to encourage wild flowers to grow as well. Apologies for the dreary skies, but aren't the tiny houses delightful? Seeing them there made my day and I'm so pleased to see our village folk getting involved in projects to nurture insect life. 

Talking of insects, I saw my first giant Asian hornet the other day. It flew into the room where I was working on the kist, landed on my sander and then flew out again. It seemed very dopey, and I should probably have despatched it but I was so shocked it didn't occur to me. In truth, I didn't know what it was but when I looked it up, I realised they are definitely undesirable here. I hope we're not going to have a plague of them next year.

And then last Friday, we did a bit of a diversion on our way to spend a few days on Vereeniging. I'd been nosing around to see if there's somewhere new to take her and had read about a small historic harbour at Kamperland off the Veersemeer in Zeeland. It's probably too far off the beaten track there for practical purposes, but we enjoyed our visit very much. The barges were gorgeously graceful and the environs were lovely. It could be tempting. Some of my readers here have seen the photos below on Facebook and a couple on Twitter, but I wanted to add them here as well.

The first three are of tjalks, the most commonly seen Dutch sailing barges here in the Netherlands. The last one is of motor barge. Lovely, aren't they? I never get tired of seeing these beautiful craft.





And my last photo offerings for this week are of my beautiful old lady. We had to fill up the water tanks and turn her around, which of course was the perfect excuse for a short 'spuddle' to the end of the river arm and back.






There's only one photo left on my phone that I haven't shared, but I'll save that one for next time because it will mark a rather special event for our family. For now, though, I'll say have a great week allemaal. Keep warm if you're in the north; stay cool for all you down south :)


6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing the bee hotels, a lovely way to attract the polinaters to the meadow. You seem to have a job of some sort on your barge all the time, good luck with the new loo.
    I loved all the barge lictures, such graceful & attractive vessels, I didn't know you had two barges though, the Vereening is a lovely barge.
    You mentioned on my blog recently that you might like to see a recording of my zoom talk about the Louth Navigation Canal which I'm giving on the 6th December, for my camera club. It will only last for about 45 minutes. Well, they said they can record it but I'll need an email address for you so I can send it to you via We Transfer. So you don't have to put it on your blog commentsyou can send it to my email address which is at the top right on my blog posts. If you don't want me to have your address or maybe haven't time to view the recording thats fine, I'll not be at all offended.
    Take care & stay safe Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, David. I’m glad you enjoyed boats and bees. I will definitely write to you about the recording, and have no problem with you having my email address.

      Delete
  2. Though the season is hardly 'boating weather', this cheered me up. I took a Hardy Bosun out for a sea trial a few weeks ago and I'm now fixated on boats. That distressed kist looks lovely. Hard work there.
    James Ember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being fixated on boats is no bad thing, James. At least, I don’t think so. Keep fixating! I shall now have to look up Hardy Bosun. :)

      Delete
  3. The kist is lovely, Val - just perfect. The scratches are a record of its life. And a lovely blog as always. I was fascinated by the insect houses! That is way cool. Thanks for another engaging look into your life on and along the water. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too, Steph. You are such a great supporter of my blog. I’m really so grateful. The insect houses are delightful, aren’t they?

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)