Monday, March 21, 2022

Dusting ourselves off

My apologies to all who thought I'd be posting about our first spuddle of the year this weekend. Alas, it was not to be. Much to our disappointment, the weather has done an about turn, a kaapse draai of note, and we've rapidly resorted to winter woollies and thick coats instead of the 'jerseys are enough' joy of the last couple of days. In fact, my daughter told me it was even snowing this morning where she lives. Snowing! 

Okay, it is still only March, and we all know this fickle month can decide to throw a weatherly tantrum at any moment. Mad as a March hare? I would suggest mad as March full stop. After all, that's what it is—a mad month. But I digress. The title of this blog is 'dusting ourselves off' for very good reason, and that is because in contrast to the rainy (snowy) chill of today, we had a visit from the Sahara during the week.

I think almost everyone in Europe has experienced this phenomenon, so I know it will be little surprise to local readers, but it really was quite a shock to wake up on Wednesday and find everything covered in fine yellow dust, pock-marked with small lumps of sand. It happened overnight when it rained as well, so it was already sticky and hard to remove before we'd even started. As I write, I still haven't managed to wash everything down, but Thursday was spent on the Vereeniging, which had turned a dull shade of brown. And then yesterday I attacked the Hennie H, whose pale shade of beige wasn't quite so unsightly, but hardly its normal, pristine white. Luckily for me, the sun shone brightly upon my efforts, and I quite enjoyed playing Mrs Mop to our old ladies, although I fear there's another fine layer of dust on both barges today. Never mind. There are worse problems in life, and they both looked spruce and shiny for a while. See the evidence below.


The sun shone brightly on my efforts above and below


And for no other reason than I like sitting by the water and watching the commercial barges and ships pass by, here's  photo of a sea-going vessel heading towards Gent.



And this was the wash it made as it passed. It was actually more impressive than it looks in the photo but it made a nice swooshing sound as it sploshed onto the rocks near my feet.


 So that's it for now, allemaal. My other activities are all work and writing related, interspersed with flurries of maintenance. As for the rot of ages from my previous post, a temporary fix is in place until I learn to weld. I'm working on that!

Enjoy your week and the spring weather when it returns.

8 comments:

  1. Here we are approaching summer, and temperature is slowly rising.
    But yesterday thanks to a low pressure that intensified into a depression on the Bay of Bengal it was cloudy, temperature dropped and we got sudden splash of heavy downpour. It's often referred to as the 'first summer showers'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pradeep, I like hearing about patterns in different parts of the world. Thank you! I hope it doesn't get too hot too quickly for you so you have time to get used to the increased temperatures.

      Delete
  2. Looks lush, V - soon be summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, TT. I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  3. So interesting, I never would have imagined the sand of the Sahara would reach you! However, we do on rare occasions get a big cloud of dust roll in to Brisbane from the far west of Queensland, hundreds of miles away, so anything is possible. I guess it is time for a change of season, and I am enjoying some cooler mornings of 15c minimum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you're enjoying the cooler days, Patricia. I hope it's dryer for you now as well and that you'll have a nice period of moderate weather.

      Delete
  4. I'm late to this post, Val, but we had ridiculous snow yesterday, and hail today. We're not out on the cut yet, but we wouldn't have been keen to move in that! Sorry to hear about the sand. I think it happened here, but came down with a rain heavy enough to wash it off the boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm sorry I'm late replying to you, Roger. I was in the UK myself when you wrote this, so I'm just catching up now. I'll check to see whether you've been able to get out and about soon. We also had snow on the 1st! Awful, and it's still bitterly cold here.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)