Monday, March 28, 2022

A picture's worth a thousand words...well, a blog post at least

Last Wednesday, I abdicated my responsibilities, abandoned work and suggested to Koos that we should go for our first proper spuddle (short trip) of the year on the Hennie H. He didn't take much persuading; neither did my neighbourly offspring, who had a day off anyway.

The first trip out of the harbour is always cause for a sense of celebration and with the weather being utterly gorgeous, the festive mood was upon us. Never mind that I forgot the picnic sandwiches and the kettle, which got left behind in the car. We managed and so did offspring's dog, Luna, for whom it was the first time ever on a moving boat. Bless her, she did very well with nary a tremble in sight.

I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story, but suffice to say, we all thoroughly enjoyed it and are looking forward to more, and longer faring, in the coming months. It's time the Shoe stepped out again...it's been far too long.

Leaving the harbour

Dogged determination not to look at the camera
Sorry :)

A passing commercial...

that then decides to turn round mid-channel and reverse into 
a harbour

Another manoeuvring barge

The nearby crane depot (Mammoet for
those in the know)

Into an inner harbour which leads to a quiet tree-lined canal

They don't come small around these parts (same harbour)

At the end of the canal, a quiet spot for a coffee break

The Shoe takes her rest

Looking back the way we came

Hopefully happy families


After our coffee break, offspring and grandpup de-camped to walk home. It had taken us an hour and some to fare eight kilometres. Cutting off the triangle, it was a 5km walk home for her and Luna, easy for these intrepid hikers. As for Koos and I, it took us another hour and some to fare back again, and I'm pleased to say I steered for most of the way, so it was a good refresher for me too. 

When we arrived at our mooring, we agreed we were very happy we'd gone; the HH had flexed her faring fins and we'd had a perfect afternoon. Mind you, we've had lovely weather for several days now, but Wednesday was the highlight in my book.

Have a good week allemaal. I'll be back with something different next time.



 

10 comments:

  1. Lovely! Great pictures...and a lovely dog included. Lovely dogs fit into everything! So happy your weather is outstanding. Ours is too for the first time in...a year or so! Thanks for sharing your spuddle. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Steph. It was indeed a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. It looks like lovely weather, and the spuddle would really lift the spirits. What fun to have a dog along, and a very well behaved one too. You found a nice spot for a coffee break - one of our aims in life too, I must add. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, it really lifted our spirits to go out on the water again. I can recommend it for sure. And yes, my daughter's dog was very good and well behaved throughout. I hope you get to find your coffee break spot soon!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like all of your and Koos’ engine work had the desired result. Congratulations! And the barge looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Don and Cathy Jo. I'll bet you're looking forward to being back on Oldtimer again soon!

      Delete
  4. The waterway looks huge compared to our narrow canals. Great pictures and I found the variety of vessels interesting including yours. You had good weather and I love the dog. 😊 🐕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. It was a wonderful day. Hard to believe it was just a week ago and it’s now so cold!

      Delete
  5. I'm envious, Val, but very pleased you were able to take this first spuddle. We've been held up by all sorts of things, and spuddling looks a long way away at the moment. I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Roger. It seems ages ago now. I can't believe it was so deliciously warm because it's been beastly cold ever since. I hope you manage to release yourselves from captivity soon!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)