Monday, March 14, 2022

The rot of ages

What a beautiful few days we've finally had in the flatlands (see photo below if you're not convinced of the flatness)


It was really quite glorious, so first things first, we took the opportunity to nip across the harbour and fill up with water. Bliss. We can now stop being quite so stingy with our ablutions and flushes. Actually, we've been using buckets from the canal for the loo for the last few weeks in order to save drinking water, such was our diminishing supply. I know. It's silly really as it's no real pain to fill up, but it takes a while and when it's cold and windy, we're not inspired, I must say.

Job done, I decided to go for a walk along the arm of the river to its junction with the Dintel and then back along the other side.  It really was quite lovely in the spring air. As usual, I forgot my camera and had to make do with my feeble phone. But never mind. When the light is good, even my meagre megapixels can't go too far wrong.

Here's the route I took.

I started where it says Vintage Brabant, walked north to the junction at Schans, crossed the bridge and walked back to the southern end and then north again to our mooring. The photos below are just a few snaps I took along the way.

Looking north at the junction. There's a small shipyard to
the right. The crane is a boat lift

Looking east to the Mark section of the river

The Dintel

The junction through the trees

Back along the Mark arm to the harbour

Mummy and baby Highland coos

And again. I've been watching baby coo grow and he's 
becoming a splendid little chap

The final stretch before Oudenbosch begins

Pretty, isn't it? Anyway, my walk over, it was time to get to work on a problem that's been plaguing me for years, yes, years. In fact, this is the problem that's behind the title of this post. It's hard to explain without showing you, and the photos I've taken have such bad light, it's almost impossible to see my rot of ages, but I'll have a go.

A couple of years back, some of you might remember I posted about the leak from my back window on the port side of the barge; a leak that had been going on for ages behind the woodwork, which resulted in my ripping the entire back wall off to expose the mess. Well, I managed to stop that one, only to have the same thing happen on the starboard side. I kept thinking I'd cured it and then it would start again. Unfortunately, what I didn't realise was that a real cure would be impossible without major reconstruction work. 

The problem stemmed from a faulty construction when the window frame was put in meaning that water could accumulate in a gulley I couldn't see below the window frame. Quietly, over the years, the gully rusted away with me being none the wiser. I have now exposed it all and it's a real mess, but at least I can see what the damage is even if I don't yet know how to fix it.

The picture below does perhaps show the gap and the hole that developed behind a steel strip that was only spot welded in place. This gap, made by progressive deterioration, is where the water has been coming in. Given that the strip was only spot welded, it's no surprise that it kept leaking. 

The next question is whether I can learn to weld. Or, should I use some mega-strong two-component epoxy to close it and then weld another strip over it? I do want to learn to weld, but I don't know if I can do so quickly enough to fix this before the rain starts getting in again. Decisions decisions. 


The rot of ages. See the gap and the hole underneath it
See also the steel strip on the left that has been cut.
The rot was hiding behind it.

A close-up of the gap and the hole.

So that's my news from the Vereeniging this week, allemaal. A fascinating life, isn't it? Rusting rivets rule. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on developments. I bet you can't wait now, can you? 😁

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Val, what a perplexing mess. I have no doubt you could learn to weld. You can do anything you set your mind and heart to. But wouldn't it be good if the fix was easier than that. Anyway, thanks for the fascinating blog and gorgeous photos. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. I wish indeed that it were easier than that. I hope I'll have the time to learn to weld in the coming months, but I know it's a skill that takes practice.

      Delete
  2. "The rot of ages" - oh dear, Val. But otherwise, a wonderful post. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, I know. Dreadful isn't it? But I couldn't resist. There's much about an old barge that brings out the worst of puns. I'm glad you enjoyed the post, though. 😊

      Delete
  3. Val, your walk seemed to be very scenic. Phone cameras work very well. Regarding the rot issue, I trust that you will know how to remedy the problem. Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting, Lynn. It was a lovely surprise to see your post waiting for my approval. I'm glad you enjoyed the walk, and yes. I hope my rot of ages will be solved soon.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the illustrated walk, Val. It's lovely to be out under the sun again, isn't it? I wish you well with the rot problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, it is indeed lovely. We've had a lovely day today as well, but it's been spent cleaning up the Sahara dust. I wonder if you've had it there? What a mess it's made. Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  5. Living on a canal sounds really great but your tales of boat maintenance & having to ration water takes the edge off a bit. But I'd still enjoy it! 😃. Delightful photo's and yes, it does look very flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, if I'd known then what I know now, I would never have bought such an old barge. The trouble is I love its history and the beauty of these old craft is matchless, but yes, the maintenance is a pain. As for the water, we always have to ration our use even when we have plenty, because 1000 litres isn't all that much :) I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, though.

      Delete
  6. Hi Val and thank you so much for sharing your lovely photos with us. The countryside is beautiful and soooo flat! Totally different to our area of mountains, valleys. So sorry you have such a dreadful problem with rust, but knowing how determined you are I a, sure you will soon learn to do welding. Take care 🥰

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)