Thursday, September 17, 2020

Returning to work, but not to normal

September. How did we get to September 2020 without having been away at all except in January? It seems inconceivable for us, given that last year we went to France and Poland within the space of a month and both prior to and after that we had other trips out of the country. But that's how it is in this oddest of odd years, isn't it?

And now it's time to go back to work as well, but not in the normal way of going to the university and giving classes to students I can interact with dynamically. Alas, we are still obliged to do most of our teaching online and I'll need to dust off my Zoom screen again. It's not that I really mind the online classes; I don't and I enjoyed the challenge of making them work for me and for the students too. However, it's a bit like working without an important tool or losing a dimension. Because I tend to walk around when I teach and use my arms to demonstrate, punctuate and elucidate my points (don't you love all those 'ates?), having to sit in front of a screen and not move feels a bit like teaching with only half of me employed.

Still that's how it has to be and I'd rather be doing it this way than not at all. I just hope that next year we'll be able to return to the real normal as opposed to the new normal.

Apart from that, the BIG news is that Koos has managed to get the new (old) engine in the Hennie H connected and running and it sounds fantastic. I am so proud of him for doing the whole job single handed without any professional help at all. Of course, we'd like a professional to come and check everything for us before we go anywhere, but that won't be until next year now anyway, so hopefully we can find an expert before then. We'll be doing heaps of testing first anyway, but we are just so pleased. It's as if the little barge has come alive again.




Maybe you'll remember we bought the engine just over a year ago and had fun with super tugs lifting the old one out and this one on board. We bought a garage crane to enable us to manoeuvre it onto a trailer and had big dramas when the old engine spilt oil all over the road (see post here). I still shudder to think of the hours we spent cleaning up our own Torey Canyon disaster. Then Koos built his own crane so he could lower the new engine into position once he'd made the mountings because we couldn't use our garage crane on board (see this post here). And then, of course, Covid came along to throw spanners into the work(s) and halt progress for much of the early part of the year. What a saga it's been, but what a reward to see it burst into life and sound so sweet.

As for me, I'm still scraping and painting (yep, condition normal). The roof on the Hennie H has taken me ages to sand down and it's now had two coats of primer. I just need a few more dry days for the undercoat to settle and I can finally put a top coat on. So keep everything crossed that this spectacular Indian summer lasts until next week. Meanwhile, I'll be off to the Vereeniging tomorrow to do more of the same there. You've got to love this life, haven't you?

Enjoy the rest of your week allemaal!

15 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed discovering this very special way of life and applauding the incredible skills involved. Happy new term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the kind comment...would this be James I'm talking to here?

      Delete
    2. It would; he of the repetitive birthday celebration...

      Delete
    3. I learning to recognise a few things. There are patterns, not only in birthdays ;)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for another wonderful blog Val x
    Well done Koos, I bet you are so pleased it is finished. Val you two work so hard on those the barges and I am so pleased Hennie H has come alive.
    Happy new term, enjoy.
    Yes this year has a lot to answer for, we should have been cruising the Med this week so that is 3 holidays I have had to cancel.
    Hoping to travel at the end of the year to the UK making a holiday of it driving through Spain and France, restrictions permitting of course. If not it will be a flight to the UK.
    Hope the weather stays nice for you to finish your painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Linda. I shall pass on the compliments to Koos as I know he'll be pleased ;)
      I do so hope you get to do your road trip, my friend. That would be just lovely and much more fun than flying. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. I’m exhausted just reading this Val! That’s a lot of work for you both, so well done. I completely understand your frustration about teaching remotely. Just be grateful these are not young children, given the stories I’ve been told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, Anne Marie. I am indeed counting my blessings. From the teachers I also teach, I gather it's been very mixed, but they're all relieved the kids can go back to school again...for the time being anyway.

      Delete
  4. You and Koos are brilliant, Val. You are both simply remarkable. I can picture you as an energetic teacher engaging your total self with the students, so this must be really hard on you. But they will still benefit greatly from you - because you are a great teacher. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Steph. You are more than kind, my friend xx

      Delete
  5. Fantastic news for the Hennie H, and may she have many more years of fun with you two. I can understand the frustration of teaching by zoom - my daughter is doing the same in Canada. Love the 'ates' - I think I do those when I am doing my guiding at the Art Gallery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, my apologies for the late reply...the Hennie H has been demanding my attention for the last few days. I think many of us are facing the same challenges as teachers, but I so hope we'll be able to resume our normal classroom teaching soon.

      Delete
  6. I know how you feel about doing your presentations in front of a screen. I had to do it all the time when I was managing the Club, and you nailed it when saying you felt you were only half employed! There is nothing like being truly present.
    I am so happy for you and Koos in getting Hennie H back up and running. It must be a great relief for you, as well.
    Here, we are still enduring the pall of smoke over us and the sun is nothing but a meagre red ball in the sky today, but we are managing and waiting for a positive change in the weather.
    I hope all is well with you and send my love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies to you too, Dale. I meant to reply straightaway, but I've been busy on board, so it slipped away from me. It is indeed a huge relief that the HH is running again, and I know that while we are celebrating here, you're coping with the dreadful smoke blanket. I do hope it clears for you soon, my friend! Thank you for your kind good wishes, dear Dale xx

      Delete
  7. True, teaching in a classroom with individual attention to each student is something very different from doing it on line.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)