Thursday, September 03, 2020

To and Fro

Yes, you've guessed. We've been yo-yo'ing again although I'm having a bit of a job remembering the sequence of events now because in my mind, the Vereeniging and the Hennie H are beginning to get confused. 

Which boat's bits have I been scraping when? And where did I leave that sander/steel brush/tin of paint? Murphy always accompanies me on these trips, of course, and if he has anything to do with it, the requisite tool/material will always be on the other boat.

Still some successes can be recorded:

1. I am still just about sane (I think).

2. So is Koos (although this is always debatable – sorry Koos).

3. Koos is halfway to finishing a dashboard box for the electrics on the Hennie H.

4. I have made a new side panel to replace one of the rotten ones on the Vereeniging – three to go out of the twelve I've been making over the last two years. Mind you, by the time I've finished, the first ones will need replacing again ... remember Murphy?

5. Koos has fitted a new expansion vessel to the Vereeniging's cooling system, which is much easier to fill than the old one.

6. I've now scraped all the paint from the trim at the top of the Hennie H's build up (I don't know what else you call the part above deck that forms the living space) and applied anti-rust primer to it.


The red trim is what I've just stripped to the steel



7. I've painted all the (new) panels on the port side of the Vereeniging.


Okay, this is starboard, but these are the side panels

On the failure side, the undercoat I used on the Vereeniging's stern has proved to be pro rather than anti rust. In other words, it's completely useless and after a couple of rain showers, rust patches are showing through it already, so guess who'll be sanding all that off again and using a different brand? Grateful thanks to anyone who can give me the name of the BEST anti-rust primer available. And I mean the best.

Pro-rust primer

And another dampener is that as soon as I'd finished painting the panels, a cloud of dust blew off the quay and onto my fresh paint....insert expletives.



And lastly, while I was painting said panels, I spotted a patch of rust on the Vereeniging's waterline. Now, bearing in mind we spent two weeks out of the water in May and applied several layers of bottom coat to the water line, as well using a special primer that we were assured would be a good base for the blacking, this was a nasty shock and a disappointment. And it's not as if we use cheap coatings. This stuff is seriously expensive. Before the autumn sets in, I'm going to have to repair that, but I'd love to know why I cannot get this right. I wonder if it's because the Vereeniging is iron and not steel? Any suggestions will be most welcome.


Has there been anything else? Not that I can think of. We haven't actually seen anyone other than our always colourful neighbours in Rotterdam. One day, I'll write about them, but I think I'll have to move continents first. No, not really. They're all great, but being 'normal' isn't in their genes, which is what makes them colourful in the first place. 

But that's not for today, as right now I'm about to hit the hay. Enjoy the rest of your week allemaal. 

17 comments:

  1. I thought you stopped blogging so I stopped following, got some catching up to do I expect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, no, sorry, Brian. I didn't stop, but I changed the blog address because I was being plagued by spam. That might have escaped your notice. I think there are others who believe I've stopped too, but I couldn't find out how to notify all my genuine followers of the new address without giving it to all the spammers as well. Lovely to see you here again.

      Delete
  2. New steel is supplied with a coating of red oxide which can protect steel for many years in dry areas. However, I understand that this is not available as a paint in the EU nowadays because of the lead content.
    The best available antitrust I have found is a Belgian product called Zinga which is a galvanising 'paint' composed of 95% zinc by weight. Available in Delva and no doubt elsewhere. Strange stuff: it looks and acts like paint but it is not - a brush which is rock solid with dried Zinga will become soft again if left in the tin for 30 mins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, THANK you for this, Roger. I shall investigate it immediately. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. You certainly don't have to look around for things to do Val, you're kept busy enough. I admire your energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah no, Anne, all the things to be done come clamouring for attention. I never need to look! Hoping you're still well and enjoying a little more freedom now?

      Delete
  4. Oh no Val what a time of it you are having, all that work put in and now a lot has to be re-done. Poor you. I know what you mean about ´Murphy´.
    In my house we have Mr Somebody, Mr Nobody and Mr I Don´t Know!! One of them is always making a mess on the floors or breaking something and I have yet to find out which one it is. They will be expelled from my house when I catch them xx
    Well done Koos for the new expansion vessel to the Vereeniging's cooling system and sounds like you will soon be finished with dashboard box for the electrics on the Hennie H. Perseverance pays x
    Love the blog as usual, keep at it girl and continue staying safe and well both of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved this, Linda. I think I must have those three gentlemen as lodgers (or their relatives) as well as Murphy, who's always making himself felt, so I haven't identified the others so much. I'm sure they're the ones that hide all the tools I need and can never find! Thank you for making me laugh, dear! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh, Val - all that work and using expensive materials...and the rust back...that is horrific. I am so sorry. You are exceptional, and how you can get all done that you get done is one mystery that will never be in one of my books - because I don't have a clue and could never figure it out! May Murphy take a looong vacation and leave, y'all alone. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Steph. Yes, I could do with a break from his particular brand of humour :)

      Delete
  6. Val, the name for anything built above the deck line on ships is termed "superstructure". I think you got it right by distinguishing Verreeniging's iron versus steel. Iron is softer and very rust prone compared to steel which is actually an alloy of iron and other minerals. The zinc based primer sounds like the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Colin. I'm on the primer track now. I believe I can find what I need just over the border, so that will be great!

      Delete
  7. That's quite a list of achievements, Val, Murphy notwithstanding. Our list is largely things to do rather than things done. Our decent weather must be with you at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger. I just hope for your sake that you don't have a list of things to be re-done! We're being quite lucky with the weather at the moment. Long may it last for all us boaters :)

      Delete
  8. Oh Val, what a read! My heart goes out to you with the failed primer stories...after all that work, too! A super blog as usual, I have popped a link on your Fbck timeline with some suggestions about primer. Bon courage, my friend! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK you, Beth! That is just so kind of you. I'm more than grateful. I'll be following up those links in case I'm on the wrong track with what I'm currently looking at. Bless you, my friend! xxx

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)