Saturday, October 03, 2020

Weather to paint (or not)

And yes, the 'weather' in the title is intentional, although the 'whether' is also implied. I do enjoy a bit of word play

Anyway, after weeks of posting about my yoyo activities, the weather has indeed changed everything and decided to tell me the painting season is over. Since it can never be over as far as I'm concerned, this is mighty inconvenient. I find I'm scrabbling around trying to find parts of both boats that can safely be sanded and treated even when I know it's going to rain, and even when I don't, which happens all too frequently when the forecast is simply wrong.

On the Vereeniging, I've managed to paint all the window frames this last week – from the inside! They're quite deep, so apart from the sill part, it's been easy to sand them down, scrape any developing rusty patches and put both primer and top coat on them, so that felt good. A real one up for me over the rain. On the Hennie H, however, this is a bit tricky as there aren't any opening windows, other than in the roof. I won't explain why that wouldn't work. I have other plans for what we can do there on rainy days, but more of that later.

Windows before being scraped and sanded

Koos has now done several tests of the Hennie H's engine and a few things have shown how crucial it is to take this time and spend several hours just running the beast to see what happens. The first thing he found was that the original rubber joints for the cooling system needed replacing even though they looked good, but this only transpired after more than an hour of having the motor running in gear. All of a sudden and just when he wasn't watching, one of these joints started leaking quite badly (a typical Murphy trick, that). Luckily, I was painting in the vicinity and I saw the steam coming out of the engine bay, so we were able to stop everything without it causing any problems.

A quick search online and Koos ordered two beautiful new joints. I say beautiful because they are. New moulded rubber engine parts are objects worthy of reverence; I love them. They are now fitted and after another long test run of an hour and a half, they are still leak free. But of course other minor issues have cropped up. Warning lights that don't always come on when they should and an idling speed that's too high but quite difficult to reduce because the adjustment screw is in an awkward place. Altogether, though, it's looking and sounding very promising. I very much hope that we'll have a few rain free days so we can do a proper test and take her around the harbour.

In other news, I will be doing my first face-to-face class since March this coming Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to it very much. However, since the Netherlands is now a code red country and the numbers of people testing positive for Covid have escalated, we'll have to see how long that lasts.

On the home front, another first is that we've lit the stove. We always try and wait until 1 October, but we didn't quite make it this year by a day. Wednesday, September the 30th was lighting up day...not too bad. On that subject, I thought I'd be on top of things early this year so I ordered a load of firewood for the crumbly cottage. It comes on a huge pallet, which is neatly stacked inside a framework so you can keep the logs in it until you need them...that is if you can get the pallet onto your property. The service from the supplier was great. I ordered it on Monday and it came on Tuesday morning. 

The snag was that the transport company only had a small trolley and couldn't lift the pallet over the curb so we could put it in our passage. The driver shrugged with a kind of 'not my problem' attitude and drove off, leaving us with our stately pile standing in the road. What to do?

Well, Koos plucked up his courage and went to ask the farmer over the road if he could help us with his forklift. He struck gold there. Our very kind and friendly neighbour not only offered to move the wood but also to put it in his barn so it will keep dry. All we have to do is hop over the road and fetch it as needed. Aren't good neighbours just the best?

And just to give you something to look at, here are a few autumn snaps I took while on a bike ride before the rain came. Can we have this lovely gentle sunshine back please, Mr Weatherman? 






Have a good week allemaal!



11 comments:

  1. Hi Val, Hennie H is up and running, yeah. It must be such a good feeling knowing that between you and Koos you have got her engine sorted and painted I bet she looks a bobby dazzler and look forward to seeing pictures of her new sparkling green hull. I know how hard you have worked.
    Fingers crossed for your live class on Tuesday and here´s hoping it continues for the term. I hope it all goes well for you.
    The weather continues to be unpredictable and seems to have suddenly changed from hot and sunny to cold and windy.
    Take care and stay safe both of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Linda. It is indeed a great feeling to feel her going, but really, it's Koos's achievement. I've just provided the coffee and the care...and maybe an odd spanner or two. My area is the painting and scraping, but that is now a question of catching a few dry spots between the showers! Thank you for the good wishes for my class. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well. Hugs! XXX

      Delete
  2. The Amazing Life of Val Poore...installment in another book! Y'all are brave waiting until Oct. 1 to light the heater. Ours never goes off even during Scotland's "Summer." And what a marvelous neighbor you have! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Steph, I think I might also keep the heating on if I lived in Scotland. Thank you, my friend. My life isn't that amazing. It's a case of needs must! xx

      Delete
  3. Your rubber joints sound lovely indeed 😉😉 Glad to hear Hennie H is getting back to being faring worthy again. It has been a distinctly poor faring year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly, slowly, Jo. Unfortunately, we discovered today that the cooling system isn't really working properly...ho hum, back to the drawing board!

      Delete
  4. It is lovely to know the Hennie H is in tip top order once more. Back to work today? I hope it all goes really well for you. I have certainly found that online communication, while it helps us wonderfully, is no substitute for face to face contact, in any situation really. We are pleased to have a degree of normality coming back here too. The wet weather will make you think of warm fires and time indoors - what a super neighbour you have. Good neighbours are priceless - we have two!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so agree, Patricia. I am ever grateful we had the online facilities during the early restrictions, but it really is so much more fulfilling to have face-to-face contact again. I hope it lasts. Sadly, our numbers have increased dramatically here again, but I know the government want to avoid shutting businesses down again. So many people have lost their jobs and livelihoods as a result of the first wave, it's caused tremendous hardship. I'm very much hoping for some more dry weather so I can do more paintwork, but yes, the wood fires are beckoning. Keep well, Patricia! Enjoy your spring!

      Delete
  5. Oh we wish you could send us some of your rain. Maybe it would clear some of the smoke out of the air. 35-40C most of next week.
    Good to hear the progress on Hennie. We just got in touch with Willem de Vries in Briare to go check on Oldtimer and make sure she is ok for the winter. We'll be there next year if we have to sneak in! 🤫😷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I would love to send you some of our rain, Don and Cathy Jo. We are now officially fed up with it. I’m just about to do a new post to say the HH has ha her first run out and it went well, but more on that later. I wish we could check on Oldtimer for you, but if we go to France, they will require quarantine and we’d have to do it again when we come back, so that would be impossible. I hope she’s okay and that you’ll be able to get back in the spring. Fingers crossed for that and also that you remain healthy too!

      Delete
  6. Hi Vallypee - Here it has been wet weather for sometime. The southwest monsoon should have got over by September. But it looks like it has spilled over to October. Now there won't be much time before the northeast monsoon sets in.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)