Sunday, October 18, 2020

Face masks and stove sagas

Once again, I've postponed writing my blog for no other reason than being busy with life. I don't know why I'm finding it hard to do my post a week as I always used to do, but other things really are getting in the way. There's also the fact I'm busy writing another book, which is consuming much of my writing time, but I've never had trouble doing the two simultaneously before. I shall have to blame the Current Situation, which deserves the capital letters because of the impact it's having on our lives.

Like most of Europe, we are experiencing a resurgence of the virus here in the Netherlands and I believe we have the dubious honour of having the highest infection rate per capita of any country on this continent. What's worse is that Rotterdam is the hardest hit city in the region right now. As a result, we are back into partial lockdown with the main feature being that we are obliged to wear face masks almost everywhere indoors (except at home), and that even means for teaching. I gave my first face masked class last Wednesday, which was interesting to say the least. I don't think I'd appreciated before how much we use facial expressions to convey and receive meaning. I'll now have to develop a whole new technique to improve my non verbal communication and practise eye reading as well!


The essential stove


The other story that's occupied my time is the saga of my stove, which was actually quite amusing. Normally, I travel to Rotterdam alone because I'm teaching. Koos has enough to do on the Hennie Ha without schlepping all the way there and back with me and prefers to stay in the south. But I'm glad he was with me this time when my oil stove, the light of my onboard winter life and that which warms my being (along with my hot water bottle and woolly slippers), refused to work. In the process of fixing it, we started big and ended up tiny, with a needle in fact. 

Convinced that the fuel pipe from the tank was blocked and that diesel bug had developed in the system over the summer, we first emptied and washed out the fuel tank (the big job). We then disconnected all the fuel lines and put the compressor to work (also a big job). 


However, all the fun started when I happened to be standing at the end of the copper pipe indoors when Koos applied the pressure outside. I was shocked to find myself in the path of a huge glob of mucky diesel as it shot out of the pipe. Luckily, most of it flew over my shoulder and splattered on the wall the other side; it just missed heading out through the window. 


Effective? Well, yes, you could say that. We both shudder to think what might have happened if I'd been standing just a little to the side, the consequences of which don't bear thinking of too much. I’m also relieved the window wasn’t open. I’d have had some explaining to do to the river police about the strange oil slick around my barge. The consequences of that don’t bear thinking of either. Anyway, the pipe was thereafter judged to be clean even if the language I uttered wasn't. But it still didn't solve the problem. 


We'd already cleaned out the carburettor, which admittedly had a lot of sludge in it, but that still didn't effect a cure. In the end, we, or rather Koos, found that there is a tiny part inside the carburettor's regulator which had a clogged-up slit in it. My eyesight is so iffy I couldn't even see it. Since I had my cataract ops ten years ago now, I haven’t been able to see anything close up or too far away, so focusing is a bit like zooming in and out until I get to the right distance.


But I digress. Koos could see the tiny slit and this, it seems, is the outlet through which the diesel seeps into the stove and enables me to light it. Because it's so thread thin, it took my finest needle to free it of the dirt, which almost had to be done with a magnifying glass. But then hey presto! All of a sudden everything came right and warmth was restored. 


After all that work, we could have solved it without risking environmental disaster from diesel spillages on deck and globular projectiles from inside, but who knew? I just hope it behaves itself when I return next Tuesday. Watch this space!


Altogether, though it was an interesting exercise and since I have quite a fascination for mechanical things, I actually enjoyed the process taking everything apart with Koos. And of course now I know how it works, I could possibly dismantle the carburettor myself, which feels like a lesson well learned, albeit with fairly limited applications in this electronic age.


The other essential
Furry boots: benefits self-explanatory


Have a great week allemaal! Keep well and out of harm’s way!




18 comments:

  1. This C.S. is stressful as rates of illness ebb and flow, across the globe. Reading your blog I have learned that Rotterdam has a lot of beauty to offer. Glad that glob of oil did not hit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terra! Nice to see you again. Yes, Rotterdam is an amazing and very dynamic city. Well worth visiting. I love it.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the situation corrected itself without suffering a mucky bath nor intrusion of the river police! I wish I were as mechanically mind as you; I could try to fix the car without paying the mechanic! I understand the theory, but the practical escapes me! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria. I'm afraid modern cars would lose me, though. It's all so electronic these days. Give me back my old VW Beetle and I'll happily crawl under it. Thankfully our old barges have quite simple engines as well.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy your crisis is over Val and you have learned from an engineering lesson. Things over here changing every few days. In our district we've not been able to meet anyone in our homes for about four weeks now. So my daughter can't come into my house and sit two metres on the other sofa but we could go and meet in a cafe and sit across the table from each other ,it's quite mad especially when I'm not going to cafes or restaurants. All our bars and restaurants are closed , anywhere selling alcohol where you sit and drink. Obviously us Scots don't know how to behave around alcohol,ha ha. It's actually true for a lot of them. Anyway ,stay safe and well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, it’s the same here although we’re not allowed into cafés either. How these poor people will keep their businesses I don’t know. I seems the Dutch don’t know how to behave, even the King is in trouble for breaking the rules...haha. Look after yourself!!

      Delete
  4. So glad your tootsies will once again be warm and toasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a relief, Jo! It was very worrying when it wouldn’t work 😊

      Delete
  5. Your life is challenging and difficult at times - but NEVER boring! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Steph. You’re right there. There’s no time to be bored :)

      Delete
  6. Love those slippers, Val! Thank goodness you were able to unblock the gubbins, but you poor things, what a mucky job! I love that you started big and ended up with a tiny needle. Mind you, they do say the small things in life are the best! Another super blog, thank you. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I saw your comment on FB, Beth, but missed this one here! Thank you! The stove isn't entirely fixed yet, but at least I now know how to get it going (by dismantling the carburettor each time). The needle has now become an invaluable too! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Vallypee,

    You are not alone wondering why you can't put out at least one post a week. That's what I too keep wondering!

    Glad to know you are writing another book. I missed your earlier book. Which is that?

    Saga of masks is global. Everyone on this planet will have a story to tell, won't they?

    Lucky you escaped the spewing jet of diesel. Glad everything is sorted out.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pradeep. My apologies for the late reply. These last few days have been very busy and I haven't had a chance to log on. I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble keeping up. It's odd, isn't it? As regards my book, the first one of this series was Faring to France on a Shoe, but the last book I wrote was called Living With my Sin (about my dog!) and the one before that was Highveld Ways, the last book in my South Africa series. So...take your pick :))
      And thank you for asking!

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to read you're in lockdown again, Val. Neither Kantara nor our house have anything more than the "normal" restrictions, but not far north of us, life is very hard. Glad to hear you're working on another book. I am, too, and Grace is on book three of a trilogy. It's a good way to use the time when our lives are so restricted otherwise. Keep safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger. Is your next book another novel? And what are Grace's books? Now I'm very curious!

      Delete
  9. To be honest, I struggle with the face mask thing, and for many reasons, but that is another story. You are to be commended for being able to carry on in a teaching capacity under (no pun intended) those conditions.
    You sound tickled pink now that your indispensable stove is back in shipshape (no pun intended) condition! Learning the workings of an internal combustion engine is a valuable lesson indeed. Technology seems to fail in the face of good old basic mechanics!
    What I am curious about is what is cooking in the pot on the stove...
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dale, for some reason I didn't publish this comment of yours. I'm so sorry, my friend. Thank you very much for the encouraging words even if they mask (pun intended!) other feelings. What's in the pot? Well, veggies and eggs, I think. That's my standard fare ;)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)