Monday, October 14, 2019

Back to busyness

In the past few weeks since we returned from Poland, things have been pretty busy here in our corner of the Flatlands. Quite apart from work, which I won't go into just now, we've been gearing up to installing the engine we bought as a replacement for our old Hanomag (which now lies at rest in our passage at the crumbly cottage). If you remember, I wrote about the great engine exchange here. Well, after that and because we were going away, we didn't do anything further until we came back from our trip. Since then, however, the activity has been quite intense.

Koos has won my gold award for ingenuity and sheer brilliance by designing and building a hoist that could be put on board the Hennie H so as to manoeuvre the engine from the back deck into its bay. The thing is, much measuring is needed before Koos can fit new mountings in place and to do that, he needs to see where the engine needs to sit. There is also the small matter of having it in exactly the right place to align it with the prop shaft. The latter has some flexibility because it has a thing called a Python on it (technicians will know what this is), which means it doesn't have to be exactly straight, but even so, there isn't a great margin for error.

Anyway, to cut the story short, the last month has been one of creative problem solving for Koos with me as the sounding board producing my usual list of (sometimes useful) 'what if' questions. The result of all his labours is this mighty construction:

The hoist in position on the back deck
It's been quite an evolutionary process involving much rethinking and redesigning, but it fits perfectly and makes it possible for Koos (with me as assistant) to lower the engine in and out of its place in the bay without asking anyone else for help. Genius, isn't it? Well, I think so. The upper spar is there to hold the tent over the deck, which also makes it possible for us (mostly Koos, though) to work in most weathers. From outside, it looks a bit like we've erected a tipi on board.

The wild West has come to Sas
Finally, then, we got to test it today. With the problem of shifting the block and tackle pulley along the bar overcome by using the kind of tensioning straps found on trailers (you know, the ones that can be made super tight with those ratchet things), Koos inched it along the bar until it was hanging over the opening.


Going down
And then lowered it into position so he could measure where it would need to 'sit' on its mountings. My job was to keep things straight and stop the tensioning straps twisting and the pulley chain getting stuck on anything...heavy burdens indeed.

And into the 'ole she goes
Once Koos was satisfied the motor would fit and he'd marked its position, we hoisted it out again and inched it back to its position on the deck. The whole operation felt like a major triumph, especially for Koos. There's still plenty to do before the real installation, but at least we know the system works, which is immensely rewarding. Now for cleaning the bottom and preparing the mounts. 

As for the other project, my Vereeniging, rain has stopped much of my play and I've been confined to working on the floor of the roef, or back cabin. You may (or may not) remember I had to remove the entire floor because of woodworm. I'm still battling to eliminate the last of the little blighters from inside the cupboards, but I'm getting there. Nevertheless, I've finally managed to put in a new floor base, this time made of thick ply wood (which woodworm don't like) that I've painted on both sides (which they like even less). 

It's hard to see it well from the photo below as it's quite dark in there, and I haven't put the piece in the gap in the middle yet as I've got to reroute the bilge pump hosepipe. But it's ready for the next time I have a free hour and it's raining. I'm pretty pleased with the result as the shape made it very difficult. I'm planning to finish it with easy-to-roll-back lino. Before that, though, I'll revarnish the cupboards. It will be great to be able to use this little room again. 


Well, that's it for this week's updates. A bit of coming down to earth after all the exoticness of Poland, but it's real life, it's hard work and it's also very rewarding. I just need the rain to stop so I can finish my painting...ho hum.

Just for some colour, here's a photo of my ultra fancy wellies. These are the ones I keep for best. I have a tartan pair that I do my real work in!



Have a good week, allemaal, and I'll be back with more on boats, boots and maybe even books soon.


13 comments:

  1. Great Stuff Val and Well Done Koo's... Proper Job !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, who? :) I'm taking the chance that you are someone we know, so thank you!

      Delete
  2. Love the wellies Val! Great progress on the engine installation and new floor, you've both done well!
    Carol
    Still Rockin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's all coming together now, Carol, but goodness it takes time!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you both have to be Jack of all trades. It will definitely keep you fit. I love the Wellies and love the fact you keep them for best. I'm wondering what you would do that you need " best Wellies" for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Anne, you’ e got me there. My other pair have splodges of paint on them, so I use them for the really grubby work. I keep these for washing decks :)

      Delete
  4. Well done, you two are dynamos at fixing anything and everything. Good luck with the woodworm: funny how tiny critters can be so problematic in our lives. This week I had to bring in the Pest Man to deter ants in our kitchen, and also purchase traps for wool moths hovering in the vicinity of our winter clothing as we endeavour to secure it for the long hot Australian Summer! Love your wellies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, we all have our bugs to bear, don’t we? Good luck with getting rid of yours too, and enjoy your spring and summer. It’s just pouring with rain here now.

      Delete
  5. Oops, my first comment vanished. You and Val are amazing, Val. Thanks for the great blog and photos. I love your wellies! You never fail to entertain and astound. Thanks for sharing. (steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Koos is indeed amazing, Steph. I am so impressed by what he's doing. Thank you! I'm glad you approve of my wellies :)

      Delete
  6. I'm in awe of Koos's ingenuity and your DIY skills. I reckon if I had moved onto a boat a few years ago I would now be clinging onto a single spar! Your wellies are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Jenny, I love that image. You've given me my real chuckle of the day. Thank you! But yes, it is a lot of work, it's true.

      Delete
  7. Hi Val - excellent wellies ... and gosh you two keep yourselves occupied ... well done. Really good and as you say such a relief ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)