Saturday, August 24, 2019

The great engine exchange day

Thursday was the big engine exchange day for our Hennie H. I can honestly say it all went well, until the tow boat crew, whose crane we were using, lifted our old (and, to our horror, much heavier than we thought) engine off their deck at a steep angle and oil started pouring out of the head....
Well, after leaving a nice pool of it on the loading quay where we were doing the transfer, we got it on the trailer where it was also at an angle. Although slightly anxious, I was comforted to know we had several layers of tarpaulin beneath it, so I didn't worry unduly as we didn't have far to take it. Anyway, we believed there wasn't much oil left in it given the reason it had conked out in the first place was because all the oil (we presumed) had run out of the oil cooler. We should have known better...much better.
To cut a long story short, when we lifted the engine off the trailer to store it, the trailer tipped and the oil that had been steadily leaking during our short drive poured onto the road...yes...heart failure time...and there was a lot of it, so a quick brush over with cat litter and sand wasn't going to hack it.
Not only that, we discovered the engine (being so much heavier than we'd thought) had damaged the floor of the trailer too. Since it was being lent to us as a favour, the whole situation was assuming nightmare proportions.

Anyway, we spent hours on Thursday afternoon and evening cleaning up oil (cat litter, sand, detergent, the whole lot) and the whole day again on Friday (with a high pressure cleaner), all the time praying that no one from the council would come and catch us at it (think massive fine). The upside is that the pavement and road have never been so clean (thank you, high pressure cleaner) but we were both exhausted from all the anxiety and extra work.
Koos went to eat humble pie with the trailer owner who fortunately acknowledged its floor was already rotten, so they came to a mutually acceptable financial agreement. Koos is very good at charm offensives. I think I would have been so overcome with remorse I'd have ended up paying double.
I also think I'm getting too old for all this excitement.
Here are a few pics of the exchange process.
Tugboat with hefty crane arrives to help us
Crane in position
Out comes the old engine (we had to cut open the deck)



old engine landed
Then to the loading quay nearby where we had the new engine
on a trailer
new engine hoisted

And lifted onto the tugboat

Which then went back to the HH

Old engine on trailer (note the angle)

New engine on back deck. Lots of preparation and cleaning
to do first.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Val,
    What a difficult couple of days! Is this pretty typical in the day of a rivergirl? Will you laugh about it later?
    Thanks for sharing it with us. I love learning about barge life ... the good, the bad ... and the oily!
    Have a great weekend! I guess it's time to rest!
    Amy Bovaird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'd hope it's not typical, but it's part of boat life for sure. And yes, I'm sure I'll laugh about it later – when I replay everything in my mind. That's nearly always when I see the funny side :) I've got a few more days of hectic boat work and then we're taking a break. Rest will be very welcome then :) xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, after reading about the mess, spilt oil and grime, I was quite surprised to see how surgically clean the engine removal looks in photos! After all the frustration and anxious moments, I can only imagine the relief you feel now. Koos, you silver-tongued devil! ��These are great photos and you are surrounded by such a picturesque landscape!
    I hope the installation of the new engine goes a wee bit smoother for you.
    Much love from Dale xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dale...the photos indeed show the clean part....the mess came later! I told Koos what you said about being a silver-tongued devil...funnily enough that's what my daughter said about him the very first time she met him. Very astute of you, my friend :)) xx

      Delete
  3. Goodness, Val, you poor things, what a nightmare. I'm sorry, but I had to smile at your descriptions of the road-cleaning antics, though, in spite of them being horrifically traumatic at the time. Cat litter has never been so useful. That tarmac must be squeaky clean by now! Another super blog, thank you. Now, time to rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat litter has numerous uses in our world, none of which involve cats, sadly, Beth. We also use disposable nappies. Now that will get you thinking 😄
      Thank you so much for reading my blog xx

      Delete
  4. WOW! Heart failure indeed. Praise the Lord you got it cleaned up, no fine, and Koos to charm the trailer owner...whew! But, Val, you will never get old. Not to worry. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Steph, if you are as old as you feel, I am a bit ancient at the moment, but tomorrow, I’ll be younger again :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! We are envious of a shiny brand new engine. Don't let our 1960's Mr. DAF know, though. We need him to be happy. Hope the rest of the installation goes a little smoother.

    Don and Cathy Jo "imprisoned" in Briare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, you two! Imprisoned?? I shall have to catch up with you. I’m afraid your envy is unnecessary here as our engine is only new to us. I think it’s at least twenty years old if not more, but Koos painted it, so it looks lovely! It’s a Peugeot Indenor, if that means anything to you?

      Delete
    2. Imprisoned metaphorically, of course! The canals around us are all closed (due to the drought) so we're spending the month stuck in the harbor until our return to the US doing maintenance and a little touring.

      I'm actually glad it's not a brand new engine. It wouldn't seem appropriate in an old boat. And a French engine in a Dutch boat??? Quelle horreur!!! 😉

      Delete
    3. Ah, I'm very glad to hear you haven't been banged up for a misdemeanour of some kind. Quite a relief!
      As for our French engine, you have a point, but...we spend more time in France than in Holland, so thought it might be happier with a French heartbeat 😉

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to hear everything went well with the Hennie H (even with the chaos around the old engine transfer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stu. The backstage drama is always worse than the performance :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)