Monday, April 06, 2020

Enjoy your enforced break...

Yes, that's what many people said when the university closed down following the government's directives and I was suddenly left as a teacher without a class (see previous blog post). But the crazy reality of the situation is that I've been busier than ever. Any thoughts of indulging in days of redrafting my work in waiting (as I now call it – 'progress' is simply not happening) have been pushed to one side as I've struggled to adapt to the new normal in the face of the Covid pandemic.

When we were given the task of switching to online lectures and classes, my mind went into overdrive as I tried to navigate my way through instructions for Teams, Zoom and Whereby. I was already using It's Learning, Canvas and Edmodo, but the new platforms I was being presented with (and resisting strongly) were for what I hate most in the world: sitting in front of a camera.


Avoiding the camera at the back of every group
From the age of about three, I've scowled my way through family photos, teenage angsty portraits and group snaps when I was at university. I was always the one practising avoidance tactics.

Still more extreme camera aversion
Then, blissfully, we went to South Africa, where the scenery was more interesting than me for everyone concerned, and of course I had two pretty daughters who loved being the subject of their father's photographic obsession. Exit stage Val and enter blissful oblivion for several long years.

Once back in Europe, though, digital cameras started appearing and I had to resume my ducking and diving all over again, an increasingly difficult task now no one had to worry about wasting film. Then Skype suddenly came to the fore and people wanted to talk on camera. Oh curses. Why on earth would anyone want me to sit and talk on camera? I mean, me? Luckily, I found an excuse for that too. The wifi on the boat was much too unstable, so we could only use audio. Result!

And so this is how I've spent a lifetime managing to successfully to evade the kind of screening I hate so much; that is, until now. The sad truth of the current situation is this: no video means no classes; no classes mean no work; no work... well, I can leave you to finish that one off for yourselves, can't I?

Last week, though, I plucked up the courage to have my first Zoom lesson online. And to my own astonishment, I quite enjoyed it. Chaotic, it undoubtedly was. My students and I couldn't make contact with each other at all at first: the blind leading the blind came very much to mind. But eventually, after numerous emails and messages had hurtled through the airways at rapid fire speed, we managed it, and then spent nearly an hour discussing the way forward for them. This coming week, we'll be repeating the process, at which time, I hope it will be somewhat easier to get things going. Then maybe by next month, when I have another new course starting, I'll be able to face the prospect with a little more equanimity.

So where was I before I started this? Oh yes. That enforced break...now just remind me. What was that supposed to be?

Have a good week, allemaal. Keep your distance, keep safe, and for heaven's sake, stay well!


14 comments:

  1. Well done with the Zoom. I had never heard of it three weeks ago, but now it is everywhere! HB is using it for his business, and some social meetings. He says he will teach me and I can contact my sewing friends. We shall see. I think it could become the new conceit: boasting how many Zoom invites one has received, ha ha.
    Our internet is becoming overloaded with all the new applications! I am pleased my sewing room is well-resourced. Lockdown means I am working on a lot of old unfinished projects, as well as my new one of watercolour painting. Happy Hibernation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn’t heard of it either, Patricia. It must be the fastest growing business in the world at the moment. Good luck with it too! It certainly seems to be flavour of the month. I’m glad you’re keeping well and getting the chance to sew. I think the situation has brought out people”s creativity tremendously.

      Delete
  2. Another super blog, Val. Well done you for tackling Zoom successfully. I can feel that adrenaline rush from here! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Beth! You're so right! An adrenaline rush it was! :) xxx

      Delete
  3. HaHaHa! Yes, what break? Haven't seen one here, but really enjoyed your blog. Congrats on the Zoom. I haven't managed it yet. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Steph, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Zoom is all the rage these days, but I'd happily do without it, even so. Needs must! Xx

      Delete
  4. My son is facing the same issue teaching English in Zurich - having to quickly adapt to online lessons. Having to start a whole new way of resourcing. Luckily for me, the tech in my evvironmwnt is not anywhere adapted to online working. I’d be very annoyed if it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can count a few blessings there, Adrian :)
      At least you can legitimately spend your time on your WIP. Mine will remain a WIW for the foreseeable future, but at least I've got Sat Nav II to look forward to xx

      Delete
  5. Excellent blog as alwayd Ms P and I am glad you have found some positives in the whole online teaching thing. The thing I'm finding is how much more tiring it is. I actually need to have a little nap after lessons sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes, Jo. I'm finding ALL of this more tiring. I seem to be exhausted all the time, that is, when I'm not feeling anxious about it all...haha.

      Delete
  6. Well, I am too working from home, and we have meetings via video conference. Though I am not camera-shy, I am not too enthusiastic to be in front of the lens. Now there is no option but to be in front of the camera.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. I hope this doesn’t replace face to face teaching in the long term, but for now it is a solution that we are having to use. Thank you, Pradeep!

      Delete
  7. I don't even have a work schedule to reorganise and yet I am incredibly busy too. Why? well, you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Jenny, I think the planning we have to do to organise life at the moment is pretty time-consuming already, isn't it?

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)