Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Springing into summer



What glorious weather we've been having lately. It's actually quite hard to believe we're in the middle of a major global pandemic when all around us the blossom is flourishing and even my last year's geraniums are coming into flower. Summer feels as if it's beckoning enthusiastically. That being said, I have a feeling the farmers will be complaining about lack of water soon. We had a good shower on Saturday and it was cloudy and cool yesterday, but this morning the sun was shining brightly again. Am I complaining? Guess.

Sadly for me, I can't enjoy too much Vitamin D therapy as I'm so very busy with work. I know I've said it before, but it's quite a phenomenon that the current situation has meant I now have more teaching than I know what to do with, if not in the usual way. What's happened is that an online course I've been teaching for years in what is called an asynchronous environment (non-real-time) has suddenly become the flavour of the month. Students who can't attend normal classes or social events are suddenly finding they have time on their hands (no travelling, staying at home and no partying probably equates to several extra hours a day) and are looking around for elective courses to bump up their credits.

And so they've found this course I teach, which normally attracts about ten to fifteen students for each programme (one academic writing and one business writing). Even then, many of them drop out in the first weeks when they find out how much work it involves. However, with the current restrictions meaning they've got more spare hours than they bargained for, these students are flocking to do the courses. Instead of having just a dozen or so participants, my employer has just asked me what's the maximum I can cope with. Oh dear. I don't really need any more work at all and now this. Hey ho.

What's making it even more challenging is that I've got a lift out next week and I'll be busy scraping and painting my bottom between furiously correcting assignments...now there's an image to conjure. Koos will be with me too, but of course we'll be keeping our distance from everyone else. It will at least be the best and most natural place to wear a face mask.

There's not much I can say about the work itself without boring you all to tears, so I hope I'll have more interesting things to share next time, but what we have managed to do in the meantime is some more work on the Hennie H – well, Koos has, I should say, not we (unless I'm feeling royal). Now the engine's in place, he's closed the deck again with some nifty plates and bolts and is doing a magnificent job of finishing it nicely (pics coming soon). I've been lending my support by drifting round the side decks with a cloth and bucket of soapy water cleaning off the daily dusting of pollen. What else can a girl do when her other half has monopolised her sander and the electricity?

However, I have managed to finish painting the front door of the crumbly cottage and I've renovated my desk, which I'm rather pleased with, so all is not work; I've managed just a bit of play too. Here are some more photos of our diminishing world and some boaty ones to remind you of what I'll be up to next week.



The nostalgic harbour at nearby Sas van Gent


Beautiful floating history

History on a working canal

Moorings aplenty now

The bridge at Sas 

One very shiny green and cream door



The Vereeniging on the helling in December 2018. The future in my past
Have a good week allemaal. Keep your distance, keep well and I'll catch up with you again soon.





10 comments:

  1. It is always a pleasure to see your watery, boaty photos, Val. And the door too, extremely smart and beautifully painted. Such a topsy turvy world now, while many lose their jobs, others are too busy! I hope you make some good $$$$ from your course, and the students are cooperative. I love that you have flowers blossoming at the same time as we do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Patricia, I am so aware of how fortunate I am. It’s very tough for people in hands-on businesses. Many have had to close here too. Strange times indeed. May the flowers keep blooming, though xx

      Delete
  2. Love your blog and the photos! And the sunshine! Isn't it awesome! We are having it here too and I am in heaven on earth! Have a fun summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. At least I presume it’s you :) xx

      Delete
  3. After a break from blog-reading (I simply found I had far too many to keep up with - how DO you manage?) so that I could concentrate on a waiting and ever-growing pile of books, I'm back, and so glad to read your posts again, Val. A lot seems to have happened while I've been away. I'm off to do some back-reading. Keep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Roger, I don’t have a TV. I think that makes a huge difference. I read blogs where others watch a film. Thanks so much for coming by. I’ve been enjoying your blogs too :)

      Delete
  4. Online teaching, or generally work from home, can become stressful in its own way. Nice to see those boats. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pradeep. You're right, which is why it's important to get out for some fresh air! The boats are part of that :)

      Delete
  5. As far as work is concerned you can only do as much as you can do. The weather here is lovely too but only seeing my back garden and there’s no grass or trees. Easy kept is good but at times I long for my old house with grass and trees. Lovely photos Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anne. I am endlessly grateful I can get out for a walk and enjoy the sun and scenery. Take care, dear!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)