Monday, April 13, 2020

Titbits and pictures from the confines of our world

One of the ironies of this global crisis is that our world has suddenly become much smaller. No longer are we travelling to work, or even to go for a walk. Something we often did before was get in the car and drive across the border to a place we could take a walk, but Belgium is out of bounds to us now. Instead, what is happening is that we're rediscovering the very local world around us because that's all we have access to.

In the Netherlands, we aren't as locked down as many of the other European countries. I'm not going to get into the rightness or wrongness of this. There's already more than enough discussion about it and I'm in no position to know. I wonder if anyone is, really, given that it's a situation none of us has ever encountered before. In fact, I've cut down on a lot of the news I read because I just find it too distressing – so many lost, so many under extreme pressure; still, the point remains that we in the Netherlands can still go out and about as long as we keep our distance from others – 1,5 metres to be precise.

Just as a by the way, I was talking to a Chinese student of mine the other day who comes from Wuhan...yes...that place, and he told me they're lifting the lockdown there. When I asked him what he thought of it, he said: "I don't criticise anyone; I just protect myself. That's all we can do. Protect ourselves." What a wise young man. So that's what we're doing here too 'in our own little way' (thank you for that legendary phrase, Gary and Jill), and in our own little corner of the Netherlands.

But anyway, back to our diminishing world, we're very lucky here to have so many gorgeous walks close by and we're really appreciating how beautiful they are. The blossom is making a special effort for us this year, as are the birds whose glorious singing has stopped me in my tracks on more than one occasion. On one walk, I was privileged to listen to a complete concert from a blackbird sitting on the corner of a roof. Its full throated aria was worthy of a La Scala prima donna.

We also have the Hennie H within walking distance, which means we can at least be on board. Koos has resumed work on the engine, and I've started my annual attempt to stay on top of the paintwork. I say attempt because to date, I've never succeeded – not in the twelve years we've had her. Maybe this year will be my chance... (yes, I see you nod, that'll be the day).

The upside of working on board is that we get to chat to neighbours too, and because we've always done so from the decks of our own ships, nothing feels different. The Dutch talk at the tops of their voices as a cultural habit (friendly, noisy exuberance is one of their most likeable characteristics), so it's actually condition normal for them. Last week, Koos asked one of the nearby couples who live on board how they were were managing with social distancing: "I suppose you don't sleep together anymore?" he quipped. The neighbours laughed. "No," said the husband. "We take it in turns to sleep so we can keep a proper distance." Right. Legs and bells came to mind.

Here are a few photos before I start rabbiting on too much.

Video conferencing with my grandpup 


Pretty as a picture along the dyke

Path through the woods

And then along the creek

Blossom bursting forth

Our nature reserve borders a creeek

Reed island

Along the other side of the creek

Looking back

it makes a lovely walk

Village street

The ships still plough their way along the canal

On their was to and from Ghent.



A lovely day to start the clean-up job on the HH

Loads to do, but she still looks bright.


Have a good week allemaal. As always, stay safe and keep well!




21 comments:

  1. What fun pictures! I hope you stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. We're definitely doing our best to stay healthy :)

      Delete
  2. Here in India, the airport screening and contact tracing began in mid-January itself, even before we had the first case.

    We have just completed 21 days of lockdown.
    It is expected to be extended for another fortnight at least in areas that are severely affected.

    These days have presented us with an opportunity to be with family through the day and also know our neighbours better.

    Fabulous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving us your own update, Pradeep. I like your positive approach and hope you've been able to reconnect with your friends, family and neighbours!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear all is well, Val! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good, Stephanie. Thank you! Keep well!

      Delete
  4. I envy you being able to go for a walk. My eyes need to see some nice scenery. I love the puppy photo he must be missing you too as it’s not often you can get a dog to pay attention to a screen. Stay well Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. Yes, we are very fortunate, I know. I almost feel guilty about it. I really miss little Charlie. He and I are good friends. You stay well too, Anne. That's the most important thing and remembering that this will pass. X

      Delete
  5. Hello Val. Popping in from WLM and always glad to learn how other lands are dealing with this plague. Your photos are great; nice to see a real spring! (We’re still getting dustings of snow). I’m touched by how this pandemic is bringing so many of us together. We’re all going through the same ordeal. Differently, sure, but together. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for popping in, Janet. That's very kind. Yes, we are being brought together by being forced apart. A real paradox and a moving one too. Stay well too!

      Delete
  6. Oh that picture of video conferencing with the grandpup!

    A beautiful and optimistic update, despite all. I've actually had sort of a similar experience as you with my walks in the local neighbourhood and elsewhere within walking distance, which I haven't done in quite a while. I've discovered that even the local school grounds provide plenty of photographic inspiration: different light at different times of the day, different moods in different weathers etc. I could probably easily go into town without running into crowds either in the metro or on the streets, but actually felt guilty conscience at the thought of doing so! Using public transportation is still allowed, it's just recommended that you avoid it unless necessary. What has happened here is that downtown has become deserted but so many people have taken to enjoying the popular outdoors sites and seaside paths that keeping distance has become difficult in those places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our own back yards are providing fertile grounds for appreciation, Maria. Maybe the upside for you is that you can have the downtown to yourself now? I know how you love back streets and buildings :) xx

      Delete
    2. PS I'm glad you like the video conferencing photo. I just love it tii xx

      Delete
  7. Excellent blog and photos. Love your Grand Pup! (steph)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely blog Val thanks so much for sharing 🤗 now I can imagine you on your walk and working, chatting with your grandpup and listening to the birds ... a skylark stopped me in my tracks yesterday as I took my evening bimble, what a fabulous treat! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lally, and welcome to my world! I love the birdsong at this time of year too. How I'd love to see a skylark!

      Delete
  9. Another lovely blog, Val. Super positives to be had in exploring your immediate surroundings and I LOVE your Grand pup!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I absolutely adore my grandpup too. He's just such a sweetie! And yes, we are very lucky to be here where we have some space around us and this walk is just a hundred metres from the crumbly cottage.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely adventure through the lower Lowlands Ms P! Charlie looks adorable and the Hennie H looks lovely against all that sky! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)