Monday, March 16, 2020

Teacher without a class

I was hoping I could skirt round the subject of the Corona virus that's been sweeping across the world, but it seems it's not going to be possible. The subject is dominating everything we do, so it can't be ignored. In fact, when I look back on my blog in years to come (says she with fingers firmly crossed), I will probably remember the first months of this year as some of the most dramatic I've experienced in my life, and for all the wrong reasons.

I have no photos that suit the subject, but this one fills me
with a certain calm, which seem apt right now

Having coped with what I call the 'winds and gales of outrageous attrition' that accompanied storms Ciara, Dennis and Ellen across our flatlands, we are now in virtual lockdown due to the spread of this awful virus that's claiming lives and making people, especially those of us in our later years, very unwell. I have to say we've never known anything like it. Ten or so years ago, we had the Mexican flu, which was also pretty nasty, and which I had. Since then, we've had SARS, Bird flu and probably another one I've forgotten. The thing is it's not unusual for new flu strains to cause a certain amount of havoc, but this one has been the most virulent and is likely to get worse before it gets better.

I'm desperately sorry for everyone who's lost loved ones and whose lives have been forever changed by it. Cafés, restaurants and bars have had to close, big events have been postponed or cancelled, and who knows how many people's investments and finances will crash as a consequence? On a personal note, as of tomorrow all my teaching has been cancelled following a government directive, and we are anxiously trying to find ways of keeping education going both at the schools and universities. Online classes are being proposed, but that fills me with trepidation as I have no experience of doing anything like that. This coming week is going to be interesting to say the least. I am, for the moment anyway, a teacher without a class.

Another tranquil Dutch scene

Of course, we are all talking about it constantly, which probably doesn't really help, but it's like picking at a pimple, isn't it? We know we shouldn't, but we do anyway. We laugh at playing footsie instead of shaking hands, and giving each other elbow nudges too; we make a big act about keeping our distance from neighbours, joking about our stand-offish behaviour. But in the end, the conversation always ends up on a serious note...it can't be otherwise, can it?

On the upside, there've also been some lovely and moving film clips coming from Italy where apartment dwellers, confined to their homes, have been singing wonderful Italian arias from their balconies. So inspiring. What it does show is how such a crisis brings communities together even when they have to keep apart, a special kind of paradox.

As for us, we are at the crumbly cottage and it seems we'll be here most of the time until the worst is over. Being in a rural area, it's probably the best place to be. The local shop is still open; we can still get fresh veggies, and except for the bizarre run on toilet paper that also seems to have swept the world, most goods are available – although I noticed at the nearby Lidl across the border there was no pasta or rice, but luckily plenty of wine! So at least if we can't eat, we can drown our sorrows in good bacchanalian style. I can think of worse things.

I'll be going to the Vereeniging in Rotterdam too as and when needed, but given the city's denser population, and my reliance on public transport when I'm there, I think I'll keep that to a minimum if possible. Just for now, anyway.



Keep well, iedereen. Don't take risks, and keep washing those hands. Till next time.

23 comments:

  1. Seems we're all in this one together. Our governor here announces that all bars and restaurants will close for sit down dining as of tonight, and previously closed all schools till the end of the month, too. I don't know if you saw any news coverage of the unbelievable mess at Chicago O'Hare Airport when they started "testing" here (haha.), but it was a guaranteed way to spread contagion.

    It's probably safe to say that the world hasn't seen anything like this since the 1918 flu, Val. If you'd care to read a good book about it, I can personally recommend John Barry's tome, The Great Influenza. I'm re reading it for reference to what's happening now. Best of wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom! yes we're all in it together, you're right. Everyone will have their stories about this year and this time in the decades to come. I heard about the chaos at the airport. Oh dear. That book sounds interesting. It will be interesting if you see any parallels!

      Delete
    2. Will have a look at that book Tom.

      Delete
  2. Dear Val, The world sure has turned on its ear! I too have been thinking of not mentioning it on my blog, but how can I write of the happy times we are having with our visiting grandchildren - and not of the fear I feel, and the extraordinary events happening all around us. We are now going to the Gold Coast for three days in a holiday apartment, with fingers crossed and lots of wipes and sanitizers in our bags. Will it be enough? Who knows. I am in the 'danger' group, in age and medical history. Universities here have also cancelled for this week, then will 'reassess'. Going online seems probable. Schools still open, but for how long? I will be happy to self-isolate from next week when our visitors depart. Take care and happy hand-washing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Patricia, I wasn't going to write about it either, but at the moment, not to do so would actually be a bit odd, so I know how you feel. Look after yourself at the Gold Coast. I can imagine your reservations about going. Thinking of you!

      Delete
  3. I was thinking about you and Koos the other day when I heard about the borders being shut down. I wondered how that worked if you were on the barge. So, now I know that you will be staying in the crumbly cottage with some good wine! This virus is scary. And, my heart goes out to everyone who is suffering because of it. The stock market's in bear mode which means that a lot of people who threw their retirement into a 401k has probably lost most if not all of their savings. My sister is also a teacher at Georgia State University. Like you, she is not looking forward to online classes when the school starts back after spring break. She is in her late 60s with chronic asthma. She worried about learning how to teach chemistry online, while worried for her own health.
    It's so weird thinking back just a few months before this nightmare all started. I hope this isn't the new normal, because it isn't very kind. Please take care. Here's to better days. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your empathic post, Patti. Yes, it's a strange and unreal situation at the moment. Oddly, I do give a course online, but it isn't with video and it's all asynchronous with just a chat function for interaction. That I can happily deal with, but the thought of trying to coordinate a class in real time online is what gives me the heebies. I'm so sorry about the 401k issue. I had no idea. I suppose my savings might have taken a hammering here too, but nothing's been said at the moment. Keeping fingers crossed! Take care of yourself as well! Big hugs.

      Delete
  4. Hi Val, I'm glad you're at your cottage where you can relax. Over in Uk Scotland and England can't agree about anything, different measures for each of us it's mad. I was going to Wales on a coach trip for 5 days next Monday with friends. Of course I'm not going now but waiting to see if company will cancel first. They haven't cancelled at trip to Amsterdam going tomorrow which I think is awful. As of this week I'm staying at home, I can't take the chance but it's scary. Luckily I can amuse myself with reading ,writing and crafts but will miss my grandchildren like crazy. Keep well. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I've been thinking about you a lot since this started. I worry for you there with your history. As for your trip, I'm sure you can legitimately cancel on medical grounds. You have more than enough evidence I'm sure, but it's crazy that the trip to Amsterdam is still going ahead. I wouldn't have thought that was possible!

      Delete
    2. Our trip has been cancelled. I'm well just now Val and staying at home. I had really bad flu and chest infection in March it took 3 wks of intervenors antibiotics and about 6 wks to feel better ,wouldn't be surprised if that was the corona virus I had. You keep safe too x

      Delete
    3. Oh Anne, you must take even more care now! If you've already had it of course, you won't get it again, but if it wasn't, you must be extra careful. We're all staying home now. It really is the strangest of times. Look after you! XX

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Val, for your thoughtful and kind words. We shall all have to do what we can, one step at a time. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will, Fran. You take care of you now too! Thank you for the comment, dear.

      Delete
  6. I hope you stay safe! Yes, this pandemic is something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind thoughts, Lydia. It is, as you say, something else!

      Delete
  7. Lovely blog as usual, Val. Stay safe, the crumbly cottage sounds the ideal place to be right now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Beth. You and Jack stay safe too! xxx

      Delete
  8. Very emotive blog, Val. My heart goes out to everyone out of work right now, especially you and Tonia. I'm praying for y'all. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Steph. We all need that. The disruption, isolation and loss are going to make life very difficult for very many.

      Delete
  9. I tried my best, found a way out by writing about the things that one can see/observe at the time of being confined at home.
    Bless you and be safe Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Haddock. That's kind of you, and apologies for the late replay! I've been busy trying to switch my teaching to online.

      Delete
  10. I'm sure you're in the best place, Val, very similar to us, just not on the water. Our local shop provides all we need, too - and it has toilet rolls - though the pasta and rice quickly run low. Fortunately for us, we don't really eat those. But yes, wine is in good supply! Proost! Best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)