Sunday, March 08, 2020

The history in my daily commute

I've been very remiss this last week as I didn't write a blog post at all. This is rare for me because I value my blog and my interaction with others in blogosphere. The only reason is because I've been very busy with work and it's taken up all my available time. Even now, I know I'll have to keep this brief because I have plenty to do for the coming week, but there was one subject I wanted to share with you, and that is the remarkable piece of history I pass almost every day on my way to work.

My view of the last section of Rotterdam's
 original city wall

Rotterdam is an exciting modern city; its architecture is famed the world over for being innovative and daring. However, the city itself is actually very old and was founded in 1270 when a dam was built across the River Rotte. It gained city rights in 1340 and has since grown to become the Netherlands' second largest city. To quote Wikipedia, "Rotterdam is known for its Erasmus University, its riverside setting, lively cultural life, maritime heritage and modern architecture."

But what does this have to do with me and my daily commute to work? Well, what a lot of people don't know is that this modern city used to have impressive walls encircling it. By the 20th century, these had long gone, sacrificed to the expansion of the urban area. However, when the metro line was being built in the late 80s, what is thought to be the last remaining piece of the old wall was uncovered, and in honour of its evidence of Rotterdam's long and noble past, it's been preserved. These days it sits in its original position, but suspended above the tracks of the adjoining mainline railway which follows a tunnel under the river. Since I pass it virtually daily on my way to the metro or the station below, I've become used to seeing it there, but I still appreciate its significance to my home city.

As a result, I was tickled pink to be sent an article about our piece of wall by my American Twitter friend, Lisette Brodey, all the way from California. I think it's great that it's being highlighted as a tourist attraction. Most people come to our harbour to see the cubist buildings and the nearby Markthal, but I've never seen our wall presented as a sight to visit. Personally, I love the fact I see a piece of the city's ancient history so regularly, and I find it fitting that I also live on and in a genuine Dutch monument.

Have a good week iedereen! I hope I'll have a bit more time to devote to my blogging friends again soon. 

Here's the link to the article

12 comments:

  1. Nice to see the last remaining bit of Rotterdam's wall preserved. I have seen the old city walls in Istanbul and Jerusalem, so much history in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always get excited about old city walls. They draw me. I’m so pleased I have this so close to home.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this interesting history of your beautiful city. I visited Rotterdam in the mid-nineties and enjoyed my visit so very much. I look forward to your weekly blogs and have read all your books. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! That’s just lovely to hear. I’m so glad you enjoy my posts and my books. You’ve just made my day :)

      Delete
  3. How exciting, Val! I love history and old walls. It was fascinating to learn more about your home city. Thanks for sharing this. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. Me too. I head for old the walls in all the ancient cities we visit.

      Delete
  4. Loved this snippet of history, Val, thanks so much for sharing it with us. I hope this week proves less hectic for you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! It’s still busy, hence my late reply here, but I’m managing :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an interesting City, would love to visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, String, and you’d be very welcome as I’m sure you know!

      Delete
  6. Val, what an interesting and long history! Having lived in Canada, a relatively young country, all my life, I find long histories fascinating! However, I find the fact that this portion of wall is suspended above the tracks rather unnerving...
    Much love from a younger, but possibly no less interesting, place in our world ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, Dale. I’ve had my ‘what if’ moments about the risks of walking under the wall. I so hope you can get to Europe one of these days and do a grand historical tour!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)