Sunday, February 23, 2020

A picture post of a walk in the polders

There isn't much in the way of news right now. For the most part, we are all just weathering the storms that have been battering our part of the world recently. First came Ciara, then Dennis and in between there was a no name storm that seemed to be ours alone. Now we've just had Ellen, and who knows? Maybe there'll be Francis to join the party. 

In between, we've had the occasional sunny, dry day, so on one of these (I forget when now as the stormy days have overtaken my memory), we went for a walk in the polder nearby. It's quite a special area, as there is a village surrounded by common land, through which anyone can walk should they so desire. Very pretty, very pastoral, these photos speak for it better than my words can, so I hope you enjoy our walk.

Common ground to be enjoyed by all

The village houses on the dyke

just green land, sky and windmills


I loved this old barn

And its old cart

And how lovely to see happy pigs at play

This old mama had a lot to say

Sister porker rootling in the mud

A typical Dutch dyke village
One thing this winter weather makes me do is appreciate every moment of sunshine that we get, but I must admit to a longing for the spring, which will revitalise us all, I know. Have a great week everyone.

12 comments:

  1. What lovely photos! Yours may be a flat land, but far from boring! I especially like the wind generators, as they remind me of the ones just east of here in windy southern Alberta. They literally dance in the landscape! I am not sure what a polder is, however... Does it have anything to do with pigs?
    Have a fabulous day, Val. Much love from the snowy Rockies xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale, thank you, dear. You've asked me a really interesting question because although I know what a polder is, I have no idea where the word comes from. A polder is an area of land recovered from the sea or at least swamp, as is much of the Netherlands, but now I'm going to look up its meaning!

      Delete
    2. Well, the dictionary says it is exactly what I said it was, but its etymology is old German/Dutch (polre) which also seems to mean land reclaimed from the sea :) Of course, it is mostly contained by dykes to protect it from be flooded and swamped again xxx

      Delete
    3. Very interesting, Val. In light of this explanation, I imagine a lot of The Netherlands is polder, then.
      And hence, no pigs involved...

      Delete
  2. A very pretty walk indeed Val, and nice to learn about a polder too. The ongoing storms must be a drag, and you will welcome the Spring. We are also having a lot of rain and storms, bizarre after all that heat and fires, but also very welcome. I look forward to Autumn, my favourite season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the late reply, Patricia. I've had to neglect my blog lately due to work commitments, but thank you so much for stopping by. I'm glad you are now getting some of that much needed rain!

      Delete
  3. I love people who harness wind and sun energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Haddock. You'd love it here, then!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for showing the world of green. We are still in the world of white. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for being late in my response, Anne-Marie. I've been swamped with work lately and neglected my blog here. I'm so glad you enjoyed the green! We had one night of snow and that was it. I doubt if there will be any more this year.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. My sincere apologies for the late reply, Haddock. Thank you for your kind comments and I'm glad you like the windmills. We have a lot of them here.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)