Friday, February 14, 2020

A flat month in a flat land

Since we came back from Portugal just under a month ago, life has seemed a bit flat. Yes, I know we live in the Netherlands, but that isn't quite what I meant. This flat has to do with our season induced mood, which is rather strange considering the excitement of the weather we've been having over the previous week or two. However, before Ciara came gusting in with all the force of an unwelcome party pooper, we'd already had enough wind and rain to warm us up for the big event. The clouds have been so unrelentingly grey I can barely recall whether there's been any silver in their linings, but I'm sure there must have been.



I know I spent an afternoon in the garden tidying up, and I also know that when we arrived back from Faro I spent a day cleaning the green off the Vereeniging. Given that I'd cleaned her before we left and that there wasn't any visible moss on her panels and hard wood rubbing rail then, I was shocked at the amount of growth that had accumulated in the 11 days we were away.

To address this unsightly mould (how is it that it's so grim looking, even on the green panels?), I climbed into my (also green) little boat with a scrubbing brush and some white vinegar and did the rounds. It struck me then and still does that it was amazing I could even contemplate doing this in January. Normally, the ice would have formed on the puddles in the bottom of the rowing boat and I'd be contemplating skates in place of my trusty wellies. Okay, I'll be honest, I wouldn't normally be contemplating doing anything outside at all. It should be much too cold for such industry.

That said, even without the storms, it's still been pretty miserable in that way that's so common to maritime climates. The Dutch call in waterkoud which I think is very expressive. After I've been away at the weekend, the barge is even worse inside than it is outside and everything feels damp and bone chillingly unpleasant. Even the cupboards throw out an icy blast when I open them. Who needs fridges when your clothes feel as if they've been in the freezer compartment? My solution is to light the stove, fill a hot water bottle, don my woolly boot slippers and huddle under a blanket until the warmth has penetrated the fabric of the interior and I can bear to pick up a coffee spoon without having my fingers frost bitten (Am I exaggerating? Boaters will know).

Then of course, Ciara came and did her best to cause as much damage and disruption as possible. I watched the news from Zeeland and my heart sank as I heard of a block of flats in Rotterdam that had its roof ripped off and numerous other reports of damage across the region. Would the Vereeniging survive? Luckily, she lies in a sheltered part of the harbour and a photo from a kind neighbour that evening reassured me that my old lady was still in one piece with nary a bucket adrift and all her tarpaulins in place. Ciara clearly didn't spot her nestling there. Now apparently Dennis is on his way to finish off what she started, but we're prepared for that too. I have a new neighbour, which is definitely good news in terms of keeping us from swaying around too much.

Safe in spite of Ciara

So that's it for the moment, allemaal. I hope I'll have something more interesting to post about next week...You never know...we might even get to go for a walk. Now wouldn't that be exciting?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Val, my heart goes out to you. You are amazing and can turn even drabness and suffering into an interesting blog. Perhaps the sun will soon shine again...on both of us, but especially you. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. That's a lovely thing to say! And yes, roll on spring! I can't wait for the real signs of it to come!

      Delete
  2. I think everyone feels like you do in the winter,it's long and dreary and all you want to do is cosy up with a book and a cuppa,at least that's what I want. When I think of all the tasks you HAVE to do with your boat in the winter, tasks you just can't leave I'm in awe of you and your work ethic. I look at my back garden with items blown to the other side,pot plants full of rain water and lots of weeds needing pulled and I know I can leave them all to a drier and slightly warmer day. I read your post to Jim and tell him ,see what you have to do if you have a boat! He would still love one,ha ha. Spring is just around the corner Val hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I'm looking over my shoulder and wondering if there's another Val there somewhere, but thank you for those very kind words. It makes me feel a whole lot better about the chores. Thank you too for the encouragement to hang on until spring. I shall. It's my favourite time of year for this reason...it comes to relieve me of winter :)

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, the weather sure sounds dreary over there, and potentially dangerous! What is the world coming to? Take care, and keep snug and warm. I will send you some Australian sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Patricia, please do. I am now so tired of the storms. Our neighbour's garden wall has just been blown over into ours at the crumbly cottage and flattened my forsythia trees. I know it's not a big disaster when compared to the awful fires Australia has had, so I shouldn't grumble. Even so, sunshine and calm would be wonderful now.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)