Thursday, February 06, 2020

The draw of abandoned places

One of the things that has fascinated me since childhood is decay....I'm not quite sure what that says about me, but crumbling ruins whether they be of castles or houses or even old sheds have always appealed to me. 

When I was in my pre-teen days, I liked nothing more than scrabbling around the remains of old Welsh castles. I remember the happy days of exploring such icons of dilapidation as Pembroke, Manorbier and even Conwy, which in those days almost seemed too well preserved even to me. 

Later, I decided I wanted to be an archaeologist (no surprises there, I'm sure) and to confirm this obsession with all things falling down, I went still further into ruination by going on digs to unearth the remnants of Roman villas in Dorset. Even better were the finds from Bronze Age barrows with which darkest Dorset is lavishly littered (sorry...couldn't resist).

Sadly, and maybe because I spent too much time digging and not enough in studying, I didn't get the grades I needed to do archaeology at university. In those days, I think there may have been an active policy to discourage hopeful dirt grubbers by asking for very high A Level passes, and while my aspirations were high, my marks weren't. Instead, I gathered the remains (sorry again) of my pride and clutching my rather average A level certificates, I  went off to do a teaching degree (teachers were in short supply then, hence the greater leniency).

Nevertheless, the passion for all things crumbling remains, which might explain some of my attraction to Portugal. There is so much to be seen and wondered over, even in the urbs and suburbs of cities like Faro and Olhão; there are so many wonderfully abandoned places. These are manna from my personal heaven, especially living in a country like the Netherlands where everything is maintained to death and even 500 year old buildings still manage to look new.

On that note, here are a few of the places that drew me on our recent trip to Portugal:


A rope of sturdy proportions wrapped around with greenery. What was it
there for? It was half buried with what looked like a stone post.

The sorry but beautiful skeleton of someone's house. Who lived there once?
What was their story? Why is the whole place abandoned?

Stones are scattered far and wide as if a storm has flung them off the walls.

Just as lovely as any castle 
Now this got me. The remains of an old aqueduct. Where did it lead?
Why was it put out of use?


And lastly, the road to our hostel. Several traditional old houses stand in
a ruined state. The marks of life long gone are still there, but I fear these
houses are beyond repair. 

As you can see, I'm still feeding off the richness of that trip and it hasn't given me indigestion yet, so bear with me. In fact nothing much has happened since we came back as I've been busy preparing for courses and continuing work on those 600 questions I mentioned last time. I still have 250 to go, so that'll keep me quiet for a bit. I've also started two new courses and marking is about to take over much of my time. That said, there are still walks and other small adventures to relate, so I'll be back to normal again soon.

Oh and yes, I have a new book almost ready to let loose onto the world. I'm clutching onto it as long as possible, though, as it's probably the most personal one I've ever written. It's the story of my Sindy dog, whose character and legacy still make me reluctant to have a new furry friend, but I'm getting close. Maybe once I've let the book go, it will somehow be symbolic of letting her go too. I think it will probably come out next week....maybe :)

Enjoy the rest of your week allemaal!

20 comments:

  1. I love derelict buildings, especially farm buildings; there are some still to be found in remote parts of France, places where there isn't much to draw ex-pats to buy up and renovate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely indeed. And yes, France has its share of wonderful ruins too, doesn't it? Sorry, I don't know who I'm talking to, but given that you're comment is clearly related to this post, I've published it (I wouldn't normally) :)

      Delete
    2. I'm very sorry - I should have signed it, as I'm not a blogger and don't do this very much, preferring just to retweet on Twitter. Anyway, Val, you are courtesy itself for publishing it. James Ember.

      Delete
    3. Ah, James. I'm truly happy you decided to comment and even happier I published it. I've had an awful lot of spam, hence the comment moderation, but this was so clearly relevant. Thank you so much! I'm pleased to hear the expat community hasn't taken over everything, which is a risk in Olhão. It's a mixed blessing, because many wonderful buildings would fall apart (as in my photo) if it weren't for foreign money saving them.

      Delete
  2. First: New Book!!!! Panting like a puppy with a treat dangling in front of her nose. Second: I love dilapidated places, too. My brain runs on high octane just trying to imagine what life was like when these places were built. There's an old movie,and forgive me for mind slipping, but I cannot remember the name. But, it's a short documentary about an Island in Scotland where the few people living there are forced to leave. They show how the buildings fall to ruin on the abandoned islands around it. Another movie I love, fiction, is called The Secret of Roan Innish which is about the people forced to leave their island. This one is a beautifully written story that includes selkies. It's the back story and imagination that draws me to ruins and abandoned places. But, as much as I love to read archeology books, I could never be one. I would focus on one found relic forever.lol. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Patti, thank you for your lovely comment. You're like me; wondering when and why they've been abandoned and who and where the people went. I would have loved to be an archaeologist, but it wasn't to be. I'll let you know about the book! xxx

      Delete
  3. I love old buildings tooVal and wondering who lived in them when they were brand new. You would love the deserted village in Kayakoy in Turkey. It's where the Greek people lived and when they were sent back to Greece in the exchange of population the houses ,shops ,chapels etc lay empty and still are. A new book, how exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, oh I would love that indeed. I think I remember reading about it in your blog. Your writing made me want to go there for sure. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I agree Val. Abandoned places are fascinating to me in particular looking for lost treasures such as tools, machines or other things that the last occupants used in their forgotten lives. I’m looking forward to your latest book, so don’t hold back too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colin. The book will come and I'll let you know when it's out. I can well imagine you share my fascination for these things. The tools that you can find when digging around suggest so many stories!

      Delete
  5. I share your fascination, Val, and visited as a child the same castles as you, and others besides. How wonderful it is later in life to take one's own children to see such ruins, and to enjoy their enjoyment! Parenthood gives you a second childhood, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Roger, it does. Sadly, I couldn't take my children to the Welsh castles as they grew up in South Africa, but we went to what we could there, including the Great Zimbabwe ruins, which were wonderful!

      Delete
  6. Oh, Val, I'm with you on loving old ruins and I love your pictures. You have had a most awesome and fascinating life from childhood to now! You are amazing. And I can't wait for your book! But I guess I will have to! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Steph. If I ever need to cheer up, I just read your comments. You are such a smile maker :))

      Delete
  7. It seems there are quite a few of us who love old ruins and archeology! I am always drawn to them, and love travelling in England or Europe to see old stone dwellings and castles. We have occasionally explored abandoned houses and villages in Australia too - old gold mining towns. So fascinating to wonder about who lived there and what happened. Your photos are great, and I love the aquaduct - what a painting that would make. Looking forward to news of your book, busy lady :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Patricia, I too would love to visit old mining towns in Australia. That would be such a draw. England is of course blessed with heaps of glorious ruins, but not so here. The wonderful Dutch wouldn’t allow anything to get ruined in the first place :)

      Delete
  8. I live in a newer (according to Western standards) place in a new country. Therefore, old ruins and architecture are relatively nonexistent. However, we do have some wonderful digs where the preserved bones and bodies of dinosaurs can be found:
    The Burgess Shale https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgess_Shale is located in and near Kootenay and Yoho National Parks.
    Borealopelta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borealopelta is a recent discovery in the oil sands of Alberta near Fort McMurray.
    Dinosaur Provincial Park https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Provincial_Park is located not far from Drumheller, Alberta.
    All of these locations are easily reached from where we live, Fort McMurray being the most distant.
    We mustn't forget the indigenous communities that have been lost to time, but they made such a little impact on the surroundings that not much was left behind.
    That being said, I would love the opportunity to scramble over old ruins and let my imagination run wild making up stories of who lived there and how they spent their daily lives. Most of what truly happened will remain a mystery, which is a good part of the attraction.
    Thank you once more for sharing your travels and photos!
    Much love from the frozen mountains,
    Dale xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale, thank you so much for those links. I shall follow them up tomorrow and I'm glad to know you find the same fascination even if you have fewer examples close by. The Netherlands also has few ruined buildings so these in Portugal got my fantasies going. As you say, they mystery is much of the appeal. Much love from the soggy flatlands xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We lived on an Indian burial ground in New England but my mother's generation seemed to have found all the arrowheads before we began digging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame you missed those moments of discovery. That would have been something.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)