Monday, July 31, 2023

A different rabbit warren to explore

Since last week, I've been involved in yet another research project, this time on a different subject altogether, but before I get into that, I'll give a couple of updates on the boat/faring front.

As most of my European friends and family are aware, summer is unofficially over; unofficially because we're all meant to be taking our holidays now and enjoying basking in wall-to-wall sunshine, ambling through the countryside on long walks, eating al fresco meals and, in my case, faring gently along canals dappled with warm sunlight between the overhanging trees. Instead, most of us have pulled out our winter woollies, found our wellies and are putting on our macs every time we step outside.

The consequence is that preparations for our departure have stalled and we'll definitely be waiting for some light at the end of the rain tunnel before we cast off. S'la vie, as we've learnt to say.

Anyway, apart from making a replacement panel for my Vereeniging's exterior (the old one was suffering from rot) and almost finishing a new hatch for the Hennie H, outside work is far too wet to contemplate. Instead, I've been busy burrowing down a new rabbit hole. I haven't finished the project I was writing about last time by any means, but I'd committed to write a piece for an anthology I've contributed to for the last few years. As time was marching on I thought I'd better get on with it, so I've made a start and, as with my other project, digging into the past has got me thoroughly distracted. 

In this case, it's my own past. What some of you may not know is that I grew up in London. Like my brothers and sister, I was born in a clinic in Avenue Road near Regents Park. My parents were living in a flat in Charlbert Court off Allitson Road, so it was the nearest hospital to their home. 


Charlbert Court

We were all born there, but being a family of six in a small flat became untenable so after I was born, my parents took the last ten years of a lease on a house off the famous Abbey Road of Beatles fame. At the time, it was a remarkably cheap option; in the post-war fifties, even St John's Wood was a place with council flats and ordinary folk. In our road, this meant that we lesser mortals rubbed shoulders with the other half, including actors, bankers and aristocracy. 

But in 1967, the lease expired and the rents for leasehold properties were set to quadruple or more. Buying or even renting in the district my parents had lived in for twenty-seven years was impossible*. We not only moved; we moved out of London completely. 

Springfield Road

For the anthology contribution, I decided to write about my memories of living in our house from the time I was three, which is when I first remember anything at all, until I was eleven in 1966. It was a unique period for a number of reasons and so I started doing some fact checking, a process that led me to a fascinating website about St John's Wood. 

The menu for the site allows you to focus on specific streets, so when I looked up ours, I was pleased to find a brief biography of the actress, Adrienne Corri, who lived down the road from us. We didn't know her, but we and everyone else in the road knew her Bassett hound, George, because he was always escaping, a fact that wasn't in her bio. 

However, I was hoping to find something about Dick Bentley, a radio presenter, who also lived there and with whom my sister and I sometimes chatted when we took our family dog for a walk. He was such a nice man. His biography was missing, which was a disappointment, but because the site invited former residents to share their memories by email, I sent off a message asking if his story could possibly be added.

The house where actress, Adrienne Corri lived is the
first white one on the right

Well, imagine my surprise when not just one, but two emails came back almost instantly asking me to write about the years we'd lived there and whether I would like to contribute something about Dick Bentley as well. I then got into email exchange with one of the writers, a woman who lived in the road that backed onto ours. She told me she'd written about her own childhood, so naturally I had to look it up.

It was such a delight to read her story. So many of her memories and experiences corresponded with and matched ours. She shared information about the local shops we all went to and the businesses that came calling; she wrote about the routines of their household, many of which were similar to ours and how children simply played in the street or in each other's front gardens. 

Nevertheless, those were the days when parents were a good deal stricter about table manners and behaviour than they are now and I laughed when she recounted how she'd had to sit for hours on her own with a plate of cold rice pudding because she refused to eat it. I had to do the same with a plate of macaroni and green beans until a lodger staying with us rescued me with a bottle of Heinz salad cream. Later, I found I preferred mayonnaise to salad cream and to this day I put it on almost all my food.

Of course, many of my memories will be inaccurate and possibly rose-tinted, but I've been chatting to my sister and in principle we agree on most things. Sadly, I cannot include all our recollections in the piece I've written as there's a word limit, but I am now so inspired I'm thinking of developing it into a full length memoir, which will need even more digging. Isn't research a wonderful thing? 

Well, that's it for this time allemaal. I don't have any personal photos to share of my old stamping ground, but those I've added are screenshots from Google maps to give some context to the post. Meanwhile, there are always boats. 





*These days, a house in Springfield Road would cost in the region of six million pounds. Yes, totally unreal, isn't it? 

19 comments:

  1. Shirley Read-Jahn12:26 am, August 01, 2023

    Fascinating. I'll certainly look forward to reading this new memoir from you, Val. Especially since London is my young adult time hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley. It’s always fun to go digging.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. My old stomping ground. Simon Michael Prior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes? Whereabouts were you, Simon? Thanks so much for the comment :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, Val - summer is over for us also. My family and friends in the U.S. would be amazed. Summer for them ends at the end of September! Hope you get your faring trip. Fascinating blog. Thanks for sharing it. At our house, it was squash that kept us at the table. My sister and I would cut it up into small pieces, drop it into our water glasses, then jump up to help clear the table and do the dishes before Mom found out! If she had known that's why we were offering to wash dishes - she would have served it at every meal! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Steph. Yes! We didn't get to choose what we ate either. We were told what to eat :))
      Thank you for your lovely comment. It's rather sad about the summer, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Fascinating, Val. You remind me of living with my grandmother in West London in the late 40's. Before I started school. Quite a different environment for a Fen boy, but I loved it, especially playing on old bomb sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, we did that too. I remember there was a bomb site further down either our road or the next one and we liked playing on the mounds of rubble. Lots of wild flowers used to grow in amongst the heaps of broken bricks and plaster and we loved picking them to take home.

      Delete
  5. So interesting Val. I don't think I realised you grew up in London. How amazing you knew Dick Bentley in your street. My memories from the 1950s include Sunday night listening to the radio with Dick Bentley in 'Take it from Here'. Or have I got my memories muddled? We had no TV in Brisbane until 1959 and radio was our primary source of information, news, music and comedy. How different from today! Can't wait to read your memoir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patricia. You're absolutely right! Dick Bentley was one of the comedians on Take It from Here. He was in a number of different radio and TV shows here in the UK. I've just read an obituary to him and it says he spent his last years in St John's Wood, but I think he must have gone back there after being away. We knew him in the early sixties, and since he died in 1995, that is more than thirty years. The obituary says he returned to Australia to make films and programmes, so it's lovely to know he was loved and popular in both countries.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful walk down memory lane Val, fascinating! A very rewarding ‘rabbit-hole’ to burrow down 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I wish I could address you personally, but you haven't given me your name. :D

      Delete
  7. Val, I have been reminiscing about childhood years in brief memoirs as well. This is so interesting that you have been invited to share yours. I believe it adds to our wholeness! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. It’s been a very enjoyable process and yes, I’ve loved your brief memoirs too. I do wish you’d compile them into a book. I am convinced you would have lots if fascinated readers!

      Delete
  8. Great stuff, Val! Memoirs tend to be written by the rich and famous (as far as I'm aware) so a slice of life from an 'ordinary' individual or geographical area sounds fascinating. You've set me off thinking, too! Mine would be a lot duller, though. 🥱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aidan, everyone has a story to tell and many people are fascinated by even quite simple stories. I've written nine memoirs about ordinary life and I've had a lovely response to them. Okay, they are set in different countries, but they are quite simply about my life and travels. Go for it! There's a huge market for memoirs.

      Delete
  9. Shame about your weather Val, I do hope it improves soon and ypu can get some outdoor work done - in the sun. So interesting to read about all your reseasch and it's amazing just how much time it can take up. Great memories though. I've read your piece in the anthology and it's terrific. Maybe that will prompt you to write another memoir. I live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Rebecca. Today, at last, we have some sunshine, so we're keeping our fingers crossed it continues. I hope the same for you too! As for the possibility of a memoir, I will admit to being quite inspired!

      Delete
  10. Hi. Val - yes London prices are so high - understatement! What fun to be more involved ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)