Saturday, March 04, 2017

A flurry of activity

Well here we are at the beginning of March already, and it's been quite a busy time in a number of ways. The trouble is I don't quite know how and what to say about it, but let's see what comes out!

As you all know by now, I published my new book last weekend. I haven't launched it as such, so there's been no party or fireworks lighting up the Oude Haven (hmm, that was a missed opportunity) ; maybe I'll celebrate more when I've brought out the paperback which I still have to do. Having the real book in my hands is still something I cherish. Nevertheless, it's going well and so far, those who've read it have enjoyed it - or so they say.

Then last Monday, we were treated to a visit by some very special people. John and his Dee from Yorkshire popped in to say hello while visiting Rotterdam for the weekend. John is a friend of my sister and brother-in-law and has in fact known the latter since they were kids. I met John some years ago, and knew then that he had lived in Rotterdam for a while back in the seventies. He was blown away by the changes to this great city; something I can well imagine as when he was here last, there were still massive wasteland areas that had not yet been rebuilt after the bombing in 1940. Rotterdam is now famous for its fabulous modern architecture, most notable of which is the new Markthal.  We had to take them to see it, of course, so here's a photo I took from inside it with my not very smart phone. I love the view of the famous Potlood building!


And here's another I took outside. This is the library with its unusual exterior pipe design. I really like it but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. The light on it was amazing after a day of constant rain, but the photo isn't really good (see remark re phone). Still, you get the idea.


Then on Thursday, poor Koos had to have some surgery - nothing serious, but it's kept us harbour bound for the last couple of days. The handy thing was that he had it done at the local Havenziekenhuis hospital, so as they wouldn't let him out before I had to go to work (later than anticipated), they took him back to the barge in the hospital electric taxi, an odd little contraption that looks like a fully covered golf cart. We'd decided he could wait till my daughter could fetch him, but the nurses offered him the ride, which he gratefully took.

Then yesterday, I had to have my annual training session to maintain my position as a Cambridge ESL speaking examiner. Given that I've only done one lot of examining ever (this time last year), it was very necessary, believe me. I'd forgotten a lot and as I'm actually going to be examining next week, I was very glad of the refresher. I'm not sure who's more nervous about it - the candidates or me!

So we are now on board this wet (again) Saturday morning when we would normally be at the crumbly cottage. Still, all is otherwise well, Koos is on the mend, and I'll catch up with everyone next week. Now that wasn't bad for someone who didn't know what to write, eh?

21 comments:

  1. Ah, but you love your busy life, don't you Val? I'd be more worried if you were sitting around wondering what to do next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Jo, I think I'd be worried myself...there'd definitely be something wrong!

      Delete
  2. You're too kind, Val. Boy, is that gang plank a challenge ��? We had a great time in 'Dam and that was in no small part thanks to you and Koos. Hope he makes a swift recovery and that your latest book launch is a success. See you guys next time you're in England? Hope so ���� John & Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves. Next time, leave the rain at home..haha...we haven't got rid of ot yet :)))

      Delete
  3. Oh, Val, it's fascinating as always. However, I'm praying for Koos' recovery. I was sad to hear that he had to have surgery, but thrilling that it went well and he is on the mend. As for you - keeping up with work, writing books, posting this blog, and re-starting the Sunpenny Blog - WOW! You are simply amazing. Thanks for all you do to make us (readers) realize that we need to test and stretch our boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! Koos is doing fine. And really, I'm not doing any more than you are :) We are all busy, but in different ways...one man's meat and all that!

      Delete
  4. Lovely post Val, looking forward to reading your book, best wishes for a quick recovery to Koos, Thank you for sharing your photos and interesting stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. I'll pass on your best wishes!

      Delete
  5. Wow! You have been busy, and I like your images too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pics!!! Hope Koos is recovering well. Still on for a visit in the Summer? Oh ~ and where's the blogpost about your book? *taps fingers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CarolStar! About tis summer, I'm not too sure where I'll be when as we have ideas about going faring again...but I would love to see you!! So I'll keep you posted on the plans! Otherwise, it could also be in the UK! Erm, I did a brief post about the new book...just down from this one, but maybe I should do a proper one?

      Delete
    2. This summer, not tis....tsk tsk

      Delete
  7. I am glad that Koos is on the mend, is he a good patient? I can't imagine him sitting still for long! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Fran...Koos has noooo problem with sitting still. You must have noticed how laid back and relaxed he is :) He's a model patient and is doing well. Thank you, my friend! xxx

      Delete
  8. Poor Koos, hope he is doing OK. Funny, isn't it, how you can start a piece not knowing what to say and the next thing you know, you've written it.... great post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! Yes, Koos is on the mend and doing well. He just has to stay put for a bit, but he doesn't seem to mind much! :)

      Delete
  9. Very good, Val! :) I was really struck by the wonderful architecture, and I thought your photos were fine. I've been meaning to go to Rotterdam and take a look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny :) The architecture in Rotterdam is fairly awe-inspiring, it really is. Do come and take a look some time! I'd be happy to show you around too, not that you need it, being the grand explorer you are. And bicycles are for hire as well.

      Delete
  10. And, I am glad Koos is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)