Saturday, February 18, 2017

Is it really spring?

I've been realising recently how much I struggle with winter. When I was a teenager in the UK, I had a very hard time with it and almost without fail, every February would find me at the doctor with my exasperated mother who didn't know what what wrong with me. It was just winter. I know that now.

In all the years I spent in South Africa, I never once had the winter blues. Winters there are just glorious. They are very cold at night, but during the day, it is wall to wall sunshine and warm. And best of all, it doesn't rain. I loved it and never once complained because the winters were too dry. Quite the reverse.


Winter in Africa - a happy visit to Postmasburg in 2008

Then in 2001, I returned to Europe. Enough said. I struggle my way through every winter and what has made things worse in recent years is an allergy to the cold. I won't go into to how that manifests itself, but it's a form of dermatitis and it's not nice at all. Anyway, enough of that. This morning I saw snowdrops in the garden at the crumbly cottage and we had a wonderful walk in bright sunshine that even had a hint of warmth to it. Last week, I walked into town in the sunshine without even needing my hat! That was a major lift up or uplift; whatever you like to call it, I felt a whole heap better.

I'm sure there will be setbacks but it's so heartening to know that spring is definitely on the way. I have to say I am very cheered by the prospect - as I am every year. And as I also say every year, next winter I am going somewhere warm for a serious amount of time. But that's in the lap of those who employ me - and I know that too!

For now, I'll just revel in the oncoming spring and the longer days, and of course that first spuddle of the year! It's coming soon and I can feel it... Happy spring holidays everyone!

A walk into town in the sunshine

View from the bridge

I wish I could have been on this one going south!

15 comments:

  1. Lovely, uplifting...yet sad and moving at the same time. I understand your allergy to winter and share it. Spring, yes, it is coming. Have a fab spring, Val. Soak up that warmth and store it up for the unexpected setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph. I know you feel it too. But we're strong and spring always comes eventually!

      Delete
  2. I can sort of get into winter at the beginning, it starts to feel almost cosy as long as I am not outside of course - and Christmas - and not so many tourists... but by mid February I've absolutely had enough of it. I am delighted that there are distinct signs of spring now, something about the birds has changed and there are crocuses and snowdrops - yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowdrops fill us all with joy, don't they, Jenny?! I also have a gorgeous winter jasmine that's flowering like crazy. Such a lovely sight!

      Delete
  3. I agree the winter like cold tumbles into the beginning of spring and I loathe that. Tomorrow the temperature is to rise to 16C and I shall glow with delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see a photo if a glowing Mel now :)

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, that winter allergy with the skin - I get it too when I go to really cold places. Not looking forward to that aspect of spending Christmas in Canada this year. You must be delighted to see signs of Spring on the way, it is a most glorious season in European latitudes. Won't be long now, and then we also can have some Autumn, which is my favourite season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow allergy sufferer? You'll know how sore that can be then. Funny how you look forward to autumn! For me it's the dread of knowing wonter is coming! Enjoy the cooler days though, dear Patricia!

      Delete
  5. Oh I know exactly what you mean!! Roll on spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you back home, Jo? Will we have pics of your wonderful travels now?

      Delete
  6. It's certainly Spring down here in Malta - but then so it should be. Home tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you! I'd love to be there too, Stephanie! Looking forward to seeing more of your impressions!

      Delete
  7. Val, I apologise wholeheartedly for calling you a softy! I had no idea the cold actually affects you physically in that way! How awful. I'm glad your spring's manifesting already. Flowers are out here in plenty, the cold weather's gone for the time being, but we're currently anticipating Storm Doris. No decent walks for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this two weeks later with another fire on and pouring rain outside, I think you put the mockers on Spring! Like you I also struggle in the winter xxx

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)