Thursday, August 10, 2023

How to keep afloat on your (little) boat

The last week has been one of torrential rain and wild wind, but at last the awful weather seems to have abated, at least for a bit. This has given Koos and me the opportunity to check on the boats and do a few much needed jobs.

One of these has been to solve the problem of protecting the Vereeniging from bumping hard against the poles to which she is moored. The canal off which our harbour lies is a busy one with massive sea-going vessels ploughing their way to and from the Ghent docks. One of the by-products of what is definitely a marvellous sight is that the wash from these huge ships flows into the harbour resulting in substantial disturbance and movement.

We learnt early on that we needed fenders to stop the bumping, which can be quite irritating. A large fender tied to the pole to the right of the gangway (looking at the Vereeniging from the land) made a huge difference.

Another fender tied to the pole to the left of the gangway prevented bumping at the bow end of the barge. So, we thought, everything was secure and sorted. Alas, we were wrong.


Now the summer holidays are here, most of the neighbouring barges have left to go cruising and the Vereeniging is more exposed to the wash of the water coming into the harbour. Over the last couple of weeks, each time we’d been to check on her (almost every day, in fact), the fenders had slipped out of place. Then, a few days ago, the front fender sheered off completely in the storm that battered our part of the country (a no name brand this time). So it was back to the drawing board. 

The first solution was to string three old karting tyres together, courtesy of my daughter's speedy hobby, and tie them around the pole closest to the bow. These have nestled neatly around the waterline and are protecting the Vereeniging nicely. The stern fender has been more of a problem, though, as it kept slipping out, so today, Koos and I bit a few bullets and took radical action.

To help with access, we'd already towed our little rowing boat over from the Hennie H to the Vereeniging. Now bearing in mind, it's a very small and light boat, suffice to say it isn't very stable.

A very small boat indeed

The upside is that it was easy to drag from the car into the water and position it near the pole. The downside is that when Koos lowered himself into it, the boat acted like a skittish colt and keeping his balance while he secured the fender was similar to riding a bucking bronco. My heart was in my mouth as he clung to the pole while the boat swung in and out beneath him, but determination won the day and he managed to tie the fender in such a way it would take a major tsunami to dislodge it.

Then it was my turn. I'd noticed a nasty scrape on the hull just on the water line where the paint had come off and rust was showing through. Once Koos was safely back on board, I dragged the boat forwards, tied it to the Vereeniging and walked along the rubbing rail to climb down into it. Like Koos, I suddenly felt as if it was determined to tip me out, but I clung on and managed to kneel down so I could apply a paint and oil mix to the offending scratch. 

Getting out was even more of a challenge because I needed to stand on its edge and find my balance before heaving myself back on board. I should mention that I've never been physically agile and have had many a past misadventure in wayward small boats, when my legs have parted company with each between ship and shore (so to speak). Thankfully, Koos was on hand to help me haul myself up and a dunking was averted, but we both felt quite proud of ourselves for taking on such a physical challenge. 

I am seriously considering investing in a larger rowing boat, however. While I like a bit of excitement in life, the threat of being cold and wet is one risk I can live without.

So that's it for this week, allemaal. Plans for faring are still unclear at the moment, but you'll all be the first to know as and when. For now, we're just glad the sun has finally come out again. Have a good weekend and watch this space for more news and views from the flatlands.

19 comments:

  1. Yes, it sounds as if a heavier boat might be a good investment, at least if you are going to have to perch on it to do maintenance work. I'd also be a bit afraid of my maintenance bits and bobs falling in too. If the worst comes to the worse, I could dry myself, but THEY could be harder to sort out! Glad you have got the problem sorted, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. Yes, that’s true. I quite often have sanders, electric screwdrivers and other loose tools lying in my boat, so getting them wet would not be a good idea. Losing them would be even worse!

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness Val my heart was in my mouth reading this, but you triumphed and have solved the problem, phew I can relax again! Hugs Lally x

      Delete
    3. Haha, Lally. Such are the small asventures that keep our hearts pumping too! 😂
      Thank you so much for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Shirley Read-Jahn1:17 am, August 11, 2023

    That sounds really scary, Val. I remember nearly doing the splits while standing up, one foot on my own little boat I used to have, and one on the landing stage! Good for you and Koos managing to not fall in the drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading through my rambles, Shirley. I’ve also done what you did, haha. It’s a very worrying situation to find yourself in, isn’t it? 🤣

      Delete
  3. Not agile? I find that hard to believe given all the squishing and squashing you’ve had to do to fit in tight places for all the boat work you’ve done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, that's true, but it's a different kind of agility. I'm quite 'bendy' but springing from ship to shore like a veritable mountain goat is not my forte. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! What a work and indeed scarry! I'm curious for your new plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit nerve-wracking, Kathleen, but we both managed it without mishap. :)

      Delete
  5. What an exciting life y'all lead! God bless and protect you both. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Steph, it was a very small adventure. :)

      Delete
  6. Im sometime guilty of being envious of your boating life but some recent posts illustrate the downside to it with maintenance and other problems.
    I've been a keen angler most of my life and avoided the dreaded dunking in a lake or river, until just before Covid. As I was packing away my gear I slipped and fell into the pond! It wasn't very deep and I was able to stand up with my head above water but the initial fall took me right under. A shocking and humiliating experience as all the other anglers found it very amusing!! Good to hear you both avoided it. David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. It’s lovely to see you here again. I can well imagine how you felt when you fell in, but yes, it’s funny for onlookers. I fell off a neighbour’s barge when I was first living on board. They’d just let me use their bath too, a rare luxury. I had to trudge around the harbour with water and weed dripping off me to reach my own boat. The people in the cafés also found it highly amusing. 😄

      Delete
  7. Sounds dangerous, acrobatic and potentially quite damp. Both of you are very brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Aidan, not really so brave. We do what needs to be done and if we'd fallen in, there wasn't much risk of drowning given how close it was to the shore. The worst part would have been the 'quite damp' part. Thank you for your sympathy, though!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Aidan. That's very kind. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Val - well you do take life at full tilt ... I'm glad you're dry - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)