Monday, July 27, 2020

Here and there

I'm feeling like a yoyo at the moment, bouncing up and down between Rotterdam and Zeeland. Each week since lockdown was lifted, we've been spending some time on the Vereeniging as although my work is over for the summer (it finally finished in mid July), my barge still needs attention and I've embarked on a project I almost wish I hadn't started. 

As you can see from the numerous photos below, the stern of the Vereeniging has always been painted a kind of old-fashioned olive green. Since I've had it, I've just sanded the surface every couple of years and repainted it. The snag is you can only do this for so long. The paint builds up into a kind of thick, glassy layer, but then it starts to crack, allowing water (my nemesis) to creep in underneath. Water, as you might know, is great buddies with rust and the two of them conspire to create mischief, especially in places I can't see all too easily.


As a consequence of this potentially worrying situation, and knowing I would need to investigate, I've been stripping the paintwork down to the steel beneath, but not with a machine. I've been doing it by hand with a special hardened steel paint scraper (made by Sandvik for any of you who are interested). If I could shroud the boat in a tent and have it on land, I could attack it with a rotary steel brush on an angle grinder, but I daren't do this in the Oude Haven. The paint chips and dust would not only get into the water, but also cover my neighbours' barges as well – a move not designed to engender good relations with them or, even worse, with anyone in authority.


So far, I've managed to scrape just over half of it (believe me, it's tough stuff) and to my great relief, the steel beneath is good. It's only along the edges where it meets the trim that there are rusty places. Part of me thinks I shouldn't have started because it's already taken me about ten hours to get this far, but the other part knows it's a job worth doing. At least I can be satisfied my home isn’t developing holes underneath the paint, and I can put that 'what if' scenario back in its box.




I'm committed to finishing the job now in any case, so I'll continue my yoyo trick until all the paintwork is done –  if that ever happens. 

Koos, bless him, has also been working on the engine, and for those who like the oily bits, you'll be interested to hear we now have an alternator to charge the batteries when we're on the go, thanks to his hard work. That's a big whoopee for me. 

It's not been all slave labour, though. The weather's been lovely much of the time and the photo below shows just how beautiful our harbour is on a perfect summer's day. I really do love it and I'm very happy I can still call it home.

Oude Haven in the sun

Back at the crumbly cottage, we've also been enjoying some lovely weather and wonderful rural walks (between scraping and painting on the Hennie H!). I took the photos below yesterday when we were out in the borderlands.

Not our crumbly cottage; just a very pretty house seen on our walk
This house has a vine as a creeper and I was surprised to see it had big clusters of very healthy looking grapes on it. If you open up the photo below, you might see some of them, but the leaves were doing a good job of obscuring much of the fruit. Do I smell wine in the making here? I wonder.

Close up of the creeping vine.

 I liked this old bakfiets (bike with a trailer) hiding in the leaves too. I must say I find the whole place quite idyllic. There's always a sign for honey on the gate and just along the road, there's another smallholding with goats, chickens, a pig and a couple of sheep too. Just gorgeous.


 And this is the scenery around the house. Not dramatic. Not drop-dead stunning, but its forever horizons and calm beauty are real soul food. Koos and I agreed we were very fortunate to be able to walk in such quiet, unspoilt country without having to go far for it.






I also indulged in a longish bike ride yesterday too and I snapped a couple of these photos on my route. Below is my trusty steed, which I inherited from our former neighbour, Tim, who's sold his cottage (and whom we miss). I have to say it's the best bike I've ever had, which I must be sure to tell him sometime. It seems to just roll along, and although it has three gears, I only ever use the 2nd, even to climb the long, slow hill up to the bridge where I was waiting when I took the photo below. 


So that's it, folks. Nothing of great import to report, but all the same, I'm busy enough not to have time to write a blog every week. We're still being careful here and keeping to the Corona rules. Case numbers have been rising since tourism and holiday travel opened up again, but hospitalisations aren't rising correspondingly, so I hope the situation won't escalate too much again. Fingers crossed!

Keep well allemaal, and enjoy the summer sun.


24 comments:

  1. Nice photos. Glad that you are able to go out into the nature and enjoy a walk or a ride. Also it's good news that the hospitalisations are down. That means the fresh cases are mild. We just have to live with this. Here too numbers have been rising after the restrictions were eased. In my apartment complex itself there are a couple of cases. But luckily they are mild. We too are taking maximum precaution. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pradeep. There is a tightening of restrictions in nearby Belgium, but we don't know if that will affect us yet. Look after yourself; we don't have any cases that near here!

      Delete
  2. Yes! I can see the grapes. What a great vine to have on one's house. It is a real treat to be able to enjoy such idyllic countryside close to home. I enjoy the creeks and horse paddocks around our area, on the edge of the city. So soothing. Your harbour in the city is also beautiful, so calm and reflective. Good work on the paint scraping - hope it is finished soon. You will never need to go to a gym!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a treat to be able to enjoy lovely country so near by, I agree, Patricia. I'm so glad you can do the same too. As for gym, I think you're right. All this scraping is doing wonders for my biceps :)

      Delete
  3. I love your blogs, Val, they are a perfect reflection of your wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Beth. I'm so glad you enjoy the blogs and the small slice of life I can share.

      Delete
  4. Hi Val, I love your blogs and beautiful photography. Wow that sounds like a lot of hard work scraping and sanding down. I bet you hands and arms ache like crazy. Continue to enjoy the good life and stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Linda. You're right, My arms and hands are always sore for a couple of days after my efforts, but it's worth it, I know :) xx

      Delete
  5. Val, Val, Val. Get yourself a heat gun! It makes the old paint all soft and bubbly and much easier to remove.
    And the pics are beautiful.
    Since we can’t enjoy France this year we’re doing some pandemic gardening. We’ve missed the home grown tomatoes the last several years so we’re making up for it now and we’re buried in green beans and cukes.
    Keeping our fingers crossed for next spring. Oldtimer must be terribly lonely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, heat guns! Good point, Don, and lovely to hear from you. I have a heat gun, but maybe I haven't mentioned the problem of trying to do these things from a small boat in a tidal harbour where not only is the current a challenge but other boats are constantly coming and going. I gave up with a heat gun because I was forever heating up bits I didn't want to scrape due to the continuous movement. I may well try again on a calm day at slack tide ;)

      Poor Oldtimer must be very lonely, but I hear there are problems with water again in the French canals, so you might not have got far anyway. One of my good friends who has his boat on the Marne is back in the Netherlands because he can't go anywhere much. Enjoy your tomatoes, cukes and beans! How lovely! I hope your health is improving and you're doing better now?

      Delete
  6. I love the photos, Val. And all that work - you quite put us to shame! I'm glad you've given yourself the breaks. Keep it up! We're on a paintwork repair programme now, and we're doing it out on the cut - at last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wonderful, Roger. I shall look out for your progress posts! Thank you for the encouragement :)

      Delete
  7. You are amazing, Val. Simply stupendous! You work so hard and live such an extraordinary life. Thanks for sharing it with us lazy landlubbers. And with all this - you somehow still find time to write marvelous books. So happy the weather is working with you and not against you this summer! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, you are so kind, but I could do so much more. I seem to need a lot of sleep these days!

      Delete
  8. Trying this to see if I can comment as Anonymous (it's Terry)... testing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can indeed. That's why I have comment moderation on. I can filter out the spam before it gets published :)

      Delete
  9. I loved this photo essay. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Loved your blog. It sounds really idyllic, I wish I lived in the country, just peace and quiet and twittering birds to interrupt the flow of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I've only just found this comment because I lost it until Blogger changed its format. I didn't know which post it was on. My apologies for the late reply! Idyllic, well, it's close :)

      Delete
  11. You must have arm muscles to rival those of Arnold by now!
    Body-building aside, these are beautiful photos, and you are indeed fortunate to be able to take serene walks in the surrounding countryside.
    am finally able to access other's blogs and post and I look forward to reading your next post!
    xx Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dale, thank you for this, my dear. And yes, my muscles are doing quite nicely now, haha. I've actually written two other posts since this one, so I hope you can find them eventually. Big hugs! xxx

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)