Thursday, August 06, 2020

Up and Down

Okay, not a very original title, I know. Last week I had Here and There, but nothing much has changed in our lives in general; we're still doing the yoyo act between Zeeland and Rotterdam, so what else could I call this post except Up and Down? (Answers in the comments below, please 😊)

Still, there have been some developments despite all the routine continuity of our summer here in the Flatlands. For one thing, contrary to the normal reputation the country has of having dismal summers, we had some very hot weather last week (a whopping 37C here in the South last Friday) and we're about to have a prolonged spell of similar high temperatures. Funnily enough, it rarely reached these soaring heights in Johannesburg when I lived there; it was just more consistently warm and sunny throughout the year. I don't mind this, though. In fact, I revel in it, but it does make it harder to work outside on the boats without risking serious heat stroke and dehydration. Having said that, it's what we're busy with most of the time (working on the boats, that is), especially now we can't go away on the Hennie H; not yet anyway. 

In my last post, I wrote about scraping all the old layers paint off the stern of my Vereeniging to get it back to the steel before (yes, you're right) painting it again. To my delight, last weekend I found the traces of the historical owners' company name, L. Mur, and two letters of the Vereeniging's old home port of Loenen. If you look, you can see the L, the M and the remains of the U and R, as well as the O and E of Loenen beneath it. I was incredibly excited to find them as they're proof of the Vereeniging's history I was given by the previous owner. I know. It's not exactly winning the lottery, but to a history and archaeology nut like me, this is soul food.

Sadly, I had to scrape them off as I need a clean surface on which to paint the anti-rust primer you can see in the next photo down (I still have to do the windows and their frames...another job) but I will print the pictures and keep them in my special barge file. 

I'm now three quarters of the way round the stern, and I hope to finish it this weekend, heat permitting. I'll be up very early on Saturday morning as I believe it's going to be 36C later in the day. 'Fried Val on Board' is not a headline I want to be making. 




Being in the Oude Haven is always a pleasure. We see neighbours, chat and share news and watch barges come and go. I took these two photos of one of my favourites leaving to go on holiday last weekend. The photos didn't turn out so well because I was facing the sun, but it's a beautiful sailing clipper and lovely to see. The barge's owner, Walther, knows what he's doing and his exit was smooth and seamless, also a pleasure to witness.
And then, of course, I had the pleasure of having my grandpup for a few days. My daughter's Spaniel, Charlie is just the sweetest, easiest and most delightful small companion we could wish for. We had lots of extra walks and having a dog around makes me feel much more complete. I really should find a Charlie of my own, I think.



These last few days, we've been back in Zeeland again, and work continues on the Hennie H. Koos is making fantastic progress with the engine and is now about to embark on the electrics. This is probably the most challenging area for him, so wish him, me and us luck! If all goes well, we'll be able to start testing everything...and believe me, we'll be doing so much of that we'll be testing ourselves to the limit too.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping in character and pursuing my usual task of scraping things down. At the moment I'm busy with the rim that runs around the top of the Hennie H's hull. It's what the Dutch call the potdeksel, but I've no clue what that would be in English. Can anyone help me out with this? Anyway, it's another long haul, not just in length, but in time too. It's always said that patience is a virtue, isn't it? They also say that practice makes perfect. If both of these are true, I must be becoming very virtuous in my old age and if not, practice is making me very patient! I still have a long way to go before the perfect bit. 

Anyway, that's it for this week, allemaal. Next week's blog will probably be called To and Fro...
Keep cool and keep well till next time.

20 comments:

  1. Why not Up and Down; and even To and Fro. That, along with Here and There, sounds like a trilogy!

    Glad to see that the situation is a lot better than what it is here, and the progress you have made with the work on the boat. Sad that you had to scrape off the name of the historical owners.

    Here, everyday since June 22, we have an average of around 2,000 testing positive in this city which has a population of around 8 million.

    Weather-wise, it'sn't good either in the southwest part of the country, though the city I live in is quite safe. In the countryside and villages, with relentless rains, many dwellings have been destroyed and some lives lost.

    Hope things better soon.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pradeep, I'm so sorry to hear your news. That's not good. Mind you, the population of your city is almost have that of the entire Netherlands. Our numbers are going up as well, though. 2000 tested positive in the last week, although hospitalisations are few. I'm so sorry to hear about the devastating rains. That just adds to people's misery, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. My goodness, 37c is Hot! When it gets to that here, I give up and lie around with a drink :) How interesting to find the original lettering under the paint layers, but a shame you had to scrape it off. It is like losing the provenance. Charlie is the sweetest looking doggie - what a nice big smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Patricia, it's easily going to be 37C here today. It's not even midday and we've already stopped working on the Hennie H. In fact, we stopped at 10:30 because it would have been dangerous to continue. She lies in the full sun and we have no means of shade, so like you, we've now packed up and are seeking the relative cool of being inside with all our fans going full blast :)

      It was a pity to scrape the letters off. If I'd seen them earlier, I might have found a way to preserve them, but I'd already taken off too much by then. It's also possible earlier work had removed much of them too, but I'm so glad I've seen them. Yes, Charlie is adorable and I adore him accordingly :)

      Delete
  3. Hither and Thither? Back and forth? Maybe in Dutch? 'Potdeksel' seems to translate as 'pot lid' - something to do with the shape of the hull? I can't imagine a pot-lid shaped hull though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for some more good titles, Roger! I love Hither and Thither. In Dutch it's Heen en Weer :)
      Yes, the pot lid doesn't quite hack it, does it? But it seems Don and Cathy Jo may have given me the answer below.

      Delete
  4. Hi Val. I enjoyed your post. Good luck on the rest of your boat projects. At least the weather will be nice! We are kindred spirits, you and me - both of us have a love for boats and the water. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for the comment, Linda! It's lovely to see you here. We are indeed kindred spirits. I've often thought that too. Lovely! You take care as well!

      Delete
  5. If the potdeksel runs all the way around the boat at the top of the hull that would be the "cap rail" in English. My Google translate says "pot lid" so I'd guess that's what it is.
    re: the heat gun. I didn't realize you were working from a dinghy. A dangling electric cord might have resulted in a shocking experience. (Sorry. I just couldn't resist!)
    Yes, feeling much better although the side/after effects we thought would be short lived are taking a little longer. Much better than the alternative, however.
    The water problems on the canals continue but we would have gladly put up with it to spend time there. We really miss France!
    We're summering on the boat vicariously through your posts. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Cap rail sounds good to me and fits what you've surmised. Yes, it does run round the entire hull. I'm so pleased to have an English name for it. I'm also very pleased to hear you're feeling better. That's really great news. I'm much relieved to read that despite the ongoing side effects. As you say, better than the alternative...by far! We share the France missing feeling and are praying we can get there for just a few away days in the next couple of weeks. Not by boat sadly, but I'll be sure to post photos of our watery explorations on the Sambre. Take care, both of you! Love from us here.

      Delete
  6. You have perfection down perfectly, Val. You are amazing. What a great historic find on your barge. (steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. Perfection takes far too much practice, my dear. I'll settle for stoic :)

      Delete
  7. Wow Val it sounds to me like you have had plenty of practice and received the patience as a reward 😘
    I love the photos and the markings on Vereenining are definitely one for your history book.
    Good luck Koos with your work on the engine and fingers crossed for the electric work on HennieH, I am sure you will succeed 😘
    Potdeksel, according to Google, translates to Pot lid 🙃 This is an overlap which provides drainage 😊
    Keep safe and well and stay cool, thanks for the post and look forward to the next one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes! Patience is a great outcome when it comes to boats, Linda, you're so right...those ten minute jobs that extend to hours, if not days, make sure of that. I suppose it is a pot lid of sorts, but I hope it never has to be used for drainage. We'll be sinking if it comes to that. It's a funny word, though, isn't it? My friends Don and Cathy Jo above tell me it's a cap rail, which sounds exactly right, so it's nice to have an appropriate English name for it. You stay cool too, Linda. it must be sweltering down there in Spain! xx

      Delete
    2. Yes cap rail does sound better x
      It is rather hot here, another heatwave this weekend and once again it is 45deg. I will finish my sewing today chilling out under the fan as the blades wizz round and round 😊 Take care Val and Koos xxx

      Delete
    3. Wow, that is fiendishly hot, Linda! Keep out of the sun, my dear!

      Delete
  8. I think the motto is, don’t buy a boat or barge is you don’t like painting. You’re always working so hard on your boat I hope you manage to get away for even a few days. Life is strange everywhere right now. I still haven’t been to a shop,cafe or restaurant. I’m passing my time reading, knitting,sewing, crafting and I’ve started painting ...not boats! And I’m quite useless but enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're very wise, Anne. Painting boats is not very creative, but it does give me time to think, so I suppose you could say it's quite meditative. I steer clear of anywhere I don't actually need to go too. Look after yourself, dear!

      Delete
  9. Scraping, scraping, scraping... true to form! :D
    I would also be over the moon to find all that history in letters beneath the paint, but I find it tragic that you had to scrape it off.
    Have you seriously considered looking for another canine companion? I'd love to hear your stories about that! ;)
    xx Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Dale. Yes! Still scraping...we have two of them to scrape of course so whichever way I turn (here and there, up and down, there and back), I need my scraper :))

      Yes, I am considering another dog, but he/she has to the the right one and I haven't found my canine companion yet. There've been a couple I've fallen for, but they were adopted before I could apply. xxx

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)