Friday, March 29, 2019

Cutting the ties

I've just realised I've missed a week as I didn't post a blog last week. That's pretty rare for me, but it just means I've been exceptionally busy. I can't honestly  say there's much to report, either. It's simply been a case of work overload and trying to keep up with all the marking that accompanies the courses I'm currently giving.

That said, I am slowly moving towards the final severing of the citizenship ties I've had to Britain since my birth. Last Monday, I applied for my Dutch passport at my local council offices. It was amazingly easy; in fact, it was completely hassle free, relatively inexpensive and pleasantly friendly. The process is also very quick. I shall be collecting it this coming Monday and then I'll be able to travel on it. I've already begun the process of surrendering my British passport, which I'm obliged to do under Dutch law. I just hope that with all the upheaval that's going on in the UK now, it won't be unduly delayed as I have three months in which to prove to the Dutch authorities that I've done the deed.

There's not much I can say or want to say about what's going on in the UK this evening. It's March the 29th, and Mrs May has lost the parliamentary vote over her Brexit deal. I can only keep everything crossed there won't be bad repercussions and that somehow or other, the situation will be resolved. It makes me very sad to see how divided the country has become.

Oddly enough, I had a letter from the Dutch immigration authorities today telling me about my residence rights following a no deal Brexit. I have a feeling they've got their lines crossed where I'm concerned as the letter actually stated I am a Dutch citizen. A bit puzzling, I must say, but since everything else is in a state of flux, maybe it's not that surprising.



On my own home front, spring is here, the forsythia is in full bloom and the daffodils are out. I'm itching to work outside and on the barge, but until next week, I've still got to keep my nose to the academic grindstone. It's wearing me down quite well at the moment, but I'll emerge soon, bruised but not beaten. Oh and yes, I have a book to launch as well when I finally get a moment to do a final proofread.

Here are just a couple of photos of brighter days from last year. I'm looking forward to enjoying some spring sunshine like this soon.




Have a good week allemaal, and to my UK friends and family, keep courage and keep smiling!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Val - congratulations on becoming Dutch - I'm sure it's a good idea ... you're settled there. I think we Brits are soldiering on ... as we must. Good luck with all the tying up of details etc ... and sadly that cold weather is coming back this next week ... but the last couple of days have been good! Cheers and take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been glorious here today, Hilary. I hope it stays a little longer...and yes, keep on soldiering on! That’s what is needed right now!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your new book, Val. Keep looking up! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do sound very busy Val, and I hope your citizenship proceeds without any problems. It must be Spring if you have daffodils - I do love them! We are looking forward to a bit of Autumn, and a few flowers after a long hot dry Summer. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. Yes! Spring is here and the forsythia is in bloom too. It’s glorious this year. I’ve just collected my Dutch passport, so I’m on the homeward run now. I hope your autumn is cooler after that stinker of a summer you had! Val

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on becoming Dutch! That's pretty cool. I was born in the U.S. and later worked to get my Canadian citizenship. It can be a long process, but it's definitely worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia. I’m really happy about the decision. It’s taken over a year, but I’m there now. Onwards and upwards! Thanks so much for commenting

      Delete
  5. Hi Vallypee - The UK is in such a mess. I guess, when the offer of Brexit was offered to the people, no body had much idea of how it would pan out. I hope the MPs are able to finalise on a deal.
    Glad to see the application for your Dutch passport has gone off without much trouble. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Pradeep. Great to see you here again. I need to look up your blog too! Yes, my passport went without a hitch and I’m very happy to have collected it today :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Val, I'm so glad the citizenship process went smoothly. I hope work lets up enough for you to enjoy being properly Dutch. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Beth. Thank you! In a couple of weeks, I will have a lull before the next busy spell, sio I intend to make the most of it!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)