Monday, April 08, 2019

Looking back in time: my past in travel documents

While I was sorting through my bits and pieces to keep safe now that my official status has changed, I came across two documents that aroused a whole heap of memories from the South African spell of my life, namely my second ever grown-up passport and my South African identity book.

Goodness, what feelings a few stamps can evoke. My old British passport was black (I don't know where they get this blue idea from) and it was issued in 1984 with both my daughters listed as my dependents. In those days, the details were hand written and my height was even recorded. That no longer seems to be the case in UK passports, as my last two had no mention of my height in them. Apparently, I was 168cm in those days. I think that was a bit hopeful even then and when I applied for my Dutch passport, I had to give my height, which I think is more realistic at 166cm. Still, I've probably shrunk a bit since my twenties...but not that much, at least I hope not. No, I think I was stretching things a bit quite literally then, especially the truth.

Anyway, enough of that, what really had me poring over these old documents were the entry and exit stamps I found in them, and much to my delight they confirmed the years we went to Namibia and Zimbabwe, which I've just written about. I was making a thumb suck when I wrote that we'd gone to Namibia in July 1990, but it seems I was right. Isn't it great when you find your memory's served you well?

Another find: Namibia photos
Sand? You're not kidding

Camping in Namibia July 1990

Our campsite in the Naukluft Park, Namibia 1990

Added to the pleasure of these finds were the stamps from when we crossed borders into what was then the Transkei and to Swaziland. Then, of course, the several stamps of visits to the UK and back to visit family. My South African residence permit was also printed into it, so for me, this old passport is like a whole slice of my life and I shall treasure it even more now than I did before. Okay, I didn't treasure it before. It was skulling around in my files, a bit mouldy and unloved, but now it's had a wipe clean and is carefully wrapped in its own plastic folder.

As for my South African ID, that too is fascinating. All in one little green book, it has my birth and marriage certificates, my driving license and a gun license in it. Yes, I know. For a very short time when we lived on the farm, we used to go shooting bottles in an old disused kraal. For that, we borrowed the farmer's 2:2 rifle, but I also used to practise target shooting now and then with a tiny handgun that belonged to me. I was a useless shot with it, and it actually scared me more than the rifle, so I didn't keep it for long. I think the difference was that the rifle wasn't mine and I wasn't responsible for it, but the baby Browning was and I was terrified of losing it. Can you imagine? Anyway, I think we sold it long before we left the farm simply because I rarely used it and didn't feel comfortable owning a gun anyway.

So there it is, all these memories evoked by a couple of old identity documents. I took a photo of them together with a recent British EU passport and now my new Dutch passport...my life wrapped up in booklets that tell their own stories. I shall now try and find more photos as I need them for the book. That'll keep me off the streets for a day or two!


Well, that's it for this week allemaal. Have a good one. Enjoy the spring if you're here in the north, and the autumn if you're down south. They are both lovely seasons!

18 comments:

  1. Marvelous as always, Val. What a unique and innovative way to look at your life. It's great! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Steph. It's nothing much of a topic, but I've been so thrilled to find my old passports. It's really been quite exciting!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely trip down memory lane, Val. I distinctly remember my black passport and the disappointment I felt when the renewed version came through with a floppier jacket! Thanks for another super blog, I loved it. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my blog, Beth. You’re right. The floppy covers didn’t feel like quality passports, did they? My black one is certainly very precious now :) xx

      Delete
    2. I still have mine too, Val! :)

      Delete
    3. Hold on to it, Beth! It'll be valuable one of these days :D

      Delete
  3. So enjoyable to go through the old passport, and revivie those memories. You make me wonder where I put my first one - must be here somewhere...
    Namibia certainly looks exciting as a camping destination - in the desert! You have had an adventurous life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do let me know if you find it, Patricia. I’ll bet your old passport could tell a few stories too!

      Delete
  4. I love the photos!
    "Sand"... is that a warning, or just stating the obvious?
    Thank you for sharing these treasured memories; you have inspired me! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sand sign made us laugh too, Dale. But I think it was intended as a serious warning. Treasured memories they are indeed!

      Delete
  5. Hi Val - I remember those ... I didn't have a gun licence though! Black passport - yes ... I think I've still got mine somewhere ... and the SA one. Fun though ... and I went to the Namib sometime round them - can't remember exactly when - Mum and I went to the Skeleton Coast - wonderful trip ... and Botswana to the Okavango ... but Africa is just special.

    I expect you are in similar weather as I am ... damp and cold ... but each to our own and chosen places to live after Africa ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ve a lot in common, Hilary! But I never made it to Okavango. It’s still on my wish list! Africa is in our blood to stay, I think :)

      Delete
  6. I agree, Val. I love going through old documents and the memories they bring just as the old photo album does. It is also more than the visual sensation, I love the old, musty smell of long unopened documents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, Colin. It’s almost as if the dust and smell are pieces of our past too, isn’t it? My daughter thinks I’m sentimental but for me it’s like reaching back in time and touching the that time again. Ok, maybe I am sentimental :)

      Delete
  7. You have had more identities than most! I also like to look through my old passports, and also I used to have a YHA card, being a life member, when each hostel used to put a little stamp of its own design on your card. It stirred some kind of collectors instinct in me, (although i am not otherwise a collector) but I really loved getting those little stamps, and each one brought back a memory for years afterwards. Oddly enough, old photos don't mean quite as much, but old slides, projected large, do - they have such wonderful lifelike colours and are actually nicer than the overblown over bright colours of digital and the muddiness of colour prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s funny how stamps do that, isn’t it, Jenny? For me, they are the real evidence that I was there and speak more to me than the photos. I am not a collector either.in fact, I drive Koos mad by constantly wanting to clear things out, but these old passports feel precious and I’d hate to lose them.

      Delete
  8. Shooting bottles on a farm always sounds like something out of a Western to me :D

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)