Sunday, March 03, 2019

The first post Portugal post

Last week I promised I wouldn't post anymore about Portugal, but now I have a problem. What should I be writing about instead? I know I've been very busy, but in the past weeks, none of what I've been up to is terribly blog worthy.

Since the end of January, I've resumed my treks up and down country to various teaching locations and I've enjoyed catching up with the group of teachers to whom I'm giving exam training in Roosendaal (town about 60kms south of Rotterdam). I've also been to Amsterdam again to the first session of a new online course and to Steenbergen (another town south of Rotterdam), where I've been teaching an elderly lady and a young Afghani man on Thursday afternoons. Other than this, I've had my usual academic writing courses at Erasmus University and a couple of workshops for a company in Steenbergen, which I thoroughly enjoyed as a change from the academic English.

It was fun to set up the workshop in these pleasant surroundings

When I first started teaching, I mainly did business communication, but that's changed in recent years and the focus has shifted to academic writing. It was lovely to go back to my training roots again and work with business people on the simple art of writing a good email.

But what else has been happening? Not much to be honest. I've spent most of the time enduring the cold weather and confess I've neglected the Vereeniging by staying in Rotterdam as little as possible, but yesterday marked the beginning of spring for my barge. After I had my stint on the helling in December, I didn't put my gangplank back on the quay. It seemed safer then because we had Christmas and New Year when the harbour can get a bit lively and as I wasn't going to be there (remember said trip to Portugal) in January, I just left it off.

A winter scene just before I went on the helling
We had more of the same in January; hence
the halt to the work
For the last month, I've been clambering over my neighbour's barge to get on and off, but now I want to start working on the boat again and for that, I really need it, so yesterday, we put it back in place and now I'll be getting on with my ongoing projects again. Believe you me there's plenty to do, and the first step was to wash it down and get some of the winter greening off. I hope I'll be resuming my panel replacement work in the coming weeks, but of course today it's been raining...just to spite me.

One other and perhaps more important event that's coming up is that on 14 March, I'll finally be taking the oath at the official ceremony to become a Dutch citizen. I'm doing the deed in Terneuzen, Zeeland, which is where I'm registered as a resident (not so far from the crumbly cottage), and following that, I'll be getting my Dutch passport.


Bye bye British Passport
The downside is that I have to surrender my British passport. Unfortunately, Dutch law doesn't allow for dual nationality except in specific circumstances, none of which apply to me. Such is life, and that is how it has to be, but it will feel quite strange, I must admit.

Still, I'll be posting again before then, so maybe I'll have more to say on the lead up to the great event next week.... will I or won't I feel more Dutch? That'll be interesting to see.

One thing I promise, though...I won't be writing my blog in Dutch. For one thing, I'd lose all my readers, and for another, it would take me hours to write a post! I have my Dutch exams, but real proficiency is a long way off. You could say I'm still working on it...have a good week, allemaal. Tot volgende keer! (Till next time).

10 comments:

  1. Hi Val - congratulations on the decision to become Dutch ... I'm sure the exam will go well - and the language will progress over time. I'm glad you're not changing the blog to Dutch! I struggled and failed with Afrikaans ... and certainly wouldn't cope with Dutch!

    Glad the Helling is ready for her spring tidy up and repairs ... you're always busy with work etc ... while the canals provide you with much exercise ...

    Sad about the British passport - but perhaps with all the schmozzle going on over here - you're right ... life is interesting to put it mildly - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem strange to be relinquishing my British passport, Hilary, but for practical reasons, it makes more sense for me to be a Dutch citizen. I hope there won’t be any problems with visiting the UK, but whatever happens, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thank you so much for the good wishes!

      Delete
  2. An important milestone for you - new citizenship in The Netherlands. You will be a 'little Dutch girl' :) Congratulations Val - I am sure you feel very much at home there now. Enjoy the coming Springtime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that’s the point, Patricia. i do feel at home here, and I’m glad I live here as well, so this is the confrimation of those feelings.

      Delete
  3. That's funny. The first thing I thought when I saw the Dutch passport was "I hope Val doesn't start writing in Dutch!"
    We just had to renew our passports. When we got our French visa a couple of weeks ago it went into a "virgin" booklet. So sorry to loose all those old visas and stamps.
    We're off to Paris April 9. We're going to go to Malta (another of Cathy Jo's old stomping grounds) for a few days and then be to Oldtimer in Briare on the 23rd.
    You and Koos are always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Don! Haha, no! It’s enough of a challenge to write my daily emails in Dutch...a blog post would be beyond me unless they were very short posts :) Isn’t it sad to lose all those old stamps? I still have a couple of my old passports from the days they gave them back, and I enjoy looking through them. It would be lovely to see you two again, so maybe we can drive down to see you. I’m afraid the Hennie H is going nowhere this year (see next blog)... anyway, I am envious about your trip to Malta. It’s been on my wishlist for a while so perhpas this will be the summer to do that too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the Dutch citizenship. Things are so awful here that I know quite a few people that would like to get foreign citizenship if they could. I have dual nationality myself so I guess I'm okay, but oh dear, what a business. Anyway, for you it should be a wholly positive experience. You can always keep your UK passport as a souvenir!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, yes, I'm not sorry I've taken this path and I'm glad for you that you have Dual Nationality. It's a precious thing to have these days. Thank you for the encouragement, anyway!

      Delete
  6. Val, I miss your Portugal posts, as they’ve helped keep me warm over our long, cold, cold (did I mention cold?) winter! I truly think, if I had a gangplank, I’d have drawn it in, as well...
    It sounds like you’ve been busy, regardless of the day-to-day. Your jaunts and various outings no doubt have helped you pass the time. Bring on Spring! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Dale. Spring needs to spring properly up. It's been beastly cold the last few days and we had a horrendous storm yesterday. There are trees down everywhere. We lost a roof tile as well. In the greater scheme of things, that's not much, but it happens to be a very expensive corner tile, which is really annoying. I am now heartily sick of this winter and would love to go back to Portugal!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)