Saturday, February 23, 2019

The last (Portugal) Post

Since I have actually been alive and busy since we went to Portugal, I realise I should get on to blogging about my current doings rather than wallowing in one week in January. So this is definitely my last post about Portugal, but it's visually a feast.

We spent most of our time to the east of Faro and Olhao and loved our visits to Vila Real, Ayamonte and Tavira (which I haven't yet mentioned...oh dear). Olhao stole our hearts and I've no doubt we'll be back there next winter as it seems an ideal place to find some warmth and sunshine. Anyway, I digress. Two days before we left, we took the train to Lagos in the west, mainly because I wanted to see the amazing rock formations at the coast there. The journey took more than two hours to cover the 100-odd kilometres from Olhao, but it was worth it.

I was afraid Lagos would be horribly touristy, but it wasn't at all. It's a charming town with some very steep hills, narrow streets and typically Portuguese architecture. It definitely owes its living to tourism, I admit, but not in a tasteless way. I found it friendly, attractive and quite appealing.

View from the upper town over the harbour

In the heart of the tourist centre
As we walked through the main street in Lagos, we noticed the tourist shops and the cafés with English boards, but it was very pleasant, and we were greatly entertained by a sixty-plus Englishman busking on the street doing a sterling job with well-known folk songs by the likes of Johnny Cash.

Cafés and restaurants abound on this hilly street

Boats always draw us

We had lunch at one of the more outlying cafés, which was served by some very friendly local ladies, and then we walked towards the end of the harbour where we found what I was looking for. The headland to the west of Lagos harbour is the most amazing lace-work of stratified and eroded rock that result in some stunning formations. I realise we only saw a fraction of them and had we taken a boat tour, we'd have seen much more, but for us, this was enough. I shall let the photos speak for themselves.

















I think it is all amazing and very beautiful, but it's also quite dangerous as the rocks crumble easily and are prone to falls. We trod through the holes that enabled us to go from beach to beach very carefully.

Here's an aerial photo I pinched from Google just to give you an idea of the headland. It's astonishing.


After crawling from one section to the next, and gazing at them in complete awe, we made our way back through the upper town before descending to the station to make the homeward trip back to Olhao. We'd only spent a couple of hours in Lagos and by the time we got back we'd spent a total of five hours on the train, but we wouldn't have missed it for anything. 

And now back to normal life again... have a good weekend allemaal!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you for sharing this, Val. The photos are outstanding and I have no words to express the marvel of the rocks! Stunning. I noticed some folks wearing short sleeves - which made me glad that you had some warm weather. Another wonderful post! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Steph! It was a glorious day, but I kept my jacket on all the same. Those people were made of sterner stuff than I am. It was wonderful not to need hats, scarves and gloves though :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Val - it just sounds a gorgeous area to visit ... and you've done us proud with your photos and notes. Lagos seems quite delightful - and you obviously had a great time. Lots of history there too ... fascinating - thanks for sharing - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Hilary. I haven’t even touched on the history, but yes, there’s lots of it here, all connected to Portugal’s colonial past of course.

      Delete
  3. It looks terrific! Thanks for the pictures, I took a little virtual visit and would like to see more. After our recent trip to Lisbon I really feel I need to see more of Portugal. I've been to Porto and Alentejo but nowhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We walked that headland in your aerial shot many, many times with our dogs this winter. It is, as you say, stunning, the sunsets and the starling roosts are amazing too! I'm missing Lagos though I was glad to get home last Tuesday. Glad you enjoyed your week.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like an amazing place :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully colourful place to be, and the rock formations are stunning! The seascape in the background helps lend to all this! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)