Monday, October 01, 2018

September, I (don't) remember....

September. Where did it go? Today it's the first of the month again and I find it's already October. Even if I didn't believe it, the weather is reminding me. It's just cold. The wind is cold, the nights are cold, the air round my ankles in the morning is more than cold. But September must have sprouted wings. I cannot for the life of me think what I did with it other than work. It's still that way.

It's a bit of a merry-go-round in truth. I have to drive to Roosendaal on Tuesdays, teach teachers there, then up to Rotterdam Tuesday night for an early start on Wednesday where I have two individual lessons back to back followed by a group of PhDers. Wednesday ends late. On Thursday mornings I have another PhD group; then in the afternoon, I head down to Steenbergen for duty at my daughter's business. Add to that a trip to Amsterdam to give a class there (a day that involved eight hours travelling for four hours teaching; there's something wrong with that ratio); many useful hours working on the Vereeniging (replacing more outer panels) and some rather less useful days fretting over the Hennie H.

Is there anything I've missed? Well, maybe a couple of nice walks, so I'll post some photos of the one we took yesterday. I call it our Windmill walk. It's on a kind of no-man's land between the Gent docklands and a Belgian suburb. We used to walk there with Sindy and it's remained special to us, but we see they are trying to 'improve' it and make it a proper nature reserve. It's peaceful, wonderfully so.

Widened and dredged

The windmill walk

A railqueduct

Rails to rove by

The industry line

No man's strip

Shapes I like

See what I mean?

Oh one more thing...I am writing again and enjoying the journey back in time. More African Ways are on the way. As for September,  I'll do better in October, I promise.

Have a great week allemaal!




12 comments:

  1. Hi Val - yes time runneth ... and I'm sure your teaching takes you many places and gives you lots to do. It's good to be busy ... but excellent to know you're writing again ... you enjoy October as the chill settles in - take care and more walks and photos for us - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary! Your time in BC must be running too! Enjoy the autumn there...or fall, as they call it!

      Delete
  2. Picture number five made me smile for I observed an energy challenge. A group of oil fuel tanks linked to a power station and then over a fence stood a line of wind turbines. There might be heard a soft whispering from them to the oil tanks of " Soon you will be obsolete for we are growing in popularity"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, a bit of a wind up, you might say, Mel ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm not surprised to have missed you! In fact, I'd have been astonished to find you in the Oude Haven, given what I did know about your work commitments. This post just confirms it all! I wish I had your blog ethic, as mine seems to fall by the wayside for large chunks of time - must try to do one this evening - I have a book event to write about. Wishing you very well, Valerie, with all the many challenges of boats and work. We really did enjoy our visit to Rotterdam and I think we may well make it a regular stopover. Best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina! And next time you think you’ll be in the area, please, please let me know. I would love to meet you if it’s at all possible.

      Delete
  4. You are amazing, Val. You simply couldn't do better. Can't improve on perfection. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Steph, I’m not sure perfection even comes into it. I just do my best, but thank you! Xx

      Delete
  5. I’m glad you managed some walks - we need to grab outside time while we can, it will be thermal vests and thick slippers before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should indeed, Jo. I hope you are well. I miss your blog!

      Delete
  6. Windmill walk, not the kind I had imagined somehow in Holland! I always remember a cycle trip that took us through a huge electrical place, I don't even know what it was, but it was buzzing all round us and really quite exciting. I like to pass through technological places on walks and rides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Jenny, that could because this was in Belgium. Where we are at the weekends is very close to the border, so we are often in flanders when we go for walks. And yes, I like the contrast between technology/industry and rural country as well.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)