Monday, October 08, 2018

The last of the summer sunshine

Despite the cold nights and mornings we've been having, I have to admit the daytimes are just lovely at the moment. I probably shouldn't say that, should I? No doubt it will be perverse and change just because I've mentioned it. But we're enjoying it over the weekends and are having lovely walks now we can't go faring for a while, which brings me to the Hennie H.

Our lovely little barge will remain immobile until the spring, I'm afraid. What happened was that following the fitting of a new oil cooler, one of the connections began leaking while we were on the way to a weekend on the Moervaart in Belgium. Unfortunately, we have no 'dashboard' with gauges, so didn't see the oil pressure was dropping until a nasty tapping sound alerted us that all was not well. We stopped as soon as it started, but it seems the damage was done. According to the diesel mechanic who's promised to fix it for us, it's probably a piston ring problem, but of course it could be something else. We won't know until he's taken it further apart. Nevertheless, he's confident it's fixable (at least it still runs!) and as he's officially retired, he's also promised it won't break us (financially). It's been a depressing few weeks, but at least we know and have real hope we'll be up and running again by next summer. We're now consolidating and saving our pennies, which brings me back to our walks.

On Saturday, we did a rather circuitous but pleasant drive around until we reached the Moervaart at a bridge called Kalverbrug. From there we walked along the waterway for some distance. This was where we were heading when the Hennie H died, so it was a bit poignant, but very beautiful for all that. I think my photos speak for themselves as even though I took them with my phone, it still looks lovely. The colours aren't quite as rich as I really saw them, though, and I can't intensify them without giving them a phoney hue, but you get the idea.









On Sunday, we did some cleaning on the Hennie H. There is plenty of work to do still, so I hope the good weather lasts a bit longer! I also have heaps to do on the Vereeniging too....ah well, it keeps me off the streets. Have a great week, allemaal and I'll fill you in on the any new developments next week

9 comments:

  1. So sorry about the Hennie H. Wishing you a speedy and not-too-costly remedy. Sounds as if you have the right person on the job on both counts. The scenery is really beautiful and this week looks just right weather-wise to take advantage of it. Have seen bridges like that in the Netherlands - there is a small-scale version of them on the Cheshire ring, as we discovered last year, which one person can raise and lower with a key and a windlass. They seem perfectly designed to achieve their intention without huge effort. Enjoy the autumn, Valerie and Koos, in spite of setbacks and work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina. We need all the empathy we can get :) I do love the Belgian Flemish scenery. It is so peaceful and pastoral, but then I love Wallonia even more; it's just a little too far to go for a walk. Enjoy the sunny days too! And your wonderful new stove!

      Delete
  2. Hi Val - well at least the Hennie H is repairable from your nice man. There's always work on things we own ... we all need a sort out occasionally. Love the walks you're doing here ... gorgeous views - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. I'm having a job keeping up with everything at the moment, so my apologies for being late to visit your blog too. I'll get there!

      Delete
  3. The countryside does look lush and green, and the cows so contented! What a lovely place for walking. Good luck with Hennie H, and I look forward to Hennie's next adventures after repair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patricia. We need a bit of luck now :)

      Delete
  4. I am sorry to hear about the Hennie H. These barges appear to be as much work as having children... minus the retired diesel mechanic bit! I hope the prognosis is good.
    The photos that struck me are 1) the cows; there is nothing better than a pic of a pasture full of black and white bovine curiosity! And 2) the canal and trees; Europeans have a distinct knack for neat and tidy rows!
    I hope you continue to enjoy your Autumn walks!
    Much love from
    Dale
    💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Dale. You are right about the work! I love a field of cows too, and yes, tidy rows on tidy roads are very European :) xxx

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear the bad news, but Hennie H is not "dead", she's just in a deep slumber! I wish her good dreams!

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)