Sunday, September 23, 2018

Museum pieces of a special kind

It's just over a month now since we arrived back from our summer travels, and today at least, autumn has been showing its hand. Up to this point, though, we've had nothing to complain about weather wise. The rainy days have been few and often confined very conveniently to the night. We've been able to enjoy some lovely spells to help ease us into the shorter days and chillier nights.

During this time, various activities and events have kept us occupied, not least of which has been that I've had to go back to work. I started again on 4 September, just after Monumentendagen, the day when anything of a heritagyl flavour gets brought out, polished up and shown off to eager public eyes like ours.

On one of these days, Saturday it was, the first of the month, we came across this eye-catching collection of very beautiful old cars. Being English, I have a bit of a thing about motor racing, and classic sports cars get me going quite easily. I absolutely loved these, especially the MGA and the Austin Healey. The old Volvos were gorgeous too...well, they were all gorgeous to be honest. And I have a very special affection for old Beetles as well, so look at the photos and admire away.




I can't remember what this was, but it's very oooh worthy

The oooh worthy from its profile

Wonderful old Volvos from the back

And front

Very lust worthy too

And this Austin Healy was just it.

A stunning Cabrio Beetle

And a standard, gorgeous classic
The following day, we decided to visit another open monument at Beernem not far from Brugge/Bruges. We took a very circuitous route, quite accidentally on purpose of course, and stopped to consider our options in this lovely avenue.

Belgium at its best

Lovely barn house converted beautifully

The open monument we were seeking was a fabulous museum on an old barge, the Tordino. It is the brainchild and project of a friend of ours, Frederic Logghe, who felt there was far too little attention paid to barge and inland waterways heritage in Belgium. The result is this magnificent waterways museum on the barge. Here is a link to his Facebook page about the project. What is remarkable is that he has funded this entire enterprise himself and relies purely on voluntary donations to keep it going; he receives no government or authority support at all. Despite what my photos suggest, it was VERY busy and wonderful to see how many people had cycled to the museum. Its location is not, shall we say, prominent.

An entire wheelhouse inside the barge

An incredible array of waterways equipment and old technology

Models, old photos, paintings, barge name-boards. It's all here

Diplomas of female crew

The Tordino has a long term mooring here, just beyond the safety lock
between Beernem and Brugge

The safety lock doors are behind the barge

Local history about the ferry boat community that lived here
And lastly, our own bit of history, the Hennie H is still unwell. I don't want to go into details as it's a problem we have yet to solve, but the photo below shows where she is currently lying in Zelzate until we can get a tow home. The view is great...that much I can say.


Have a good week allemaal and I'll hopefully have some brighter news to tell you soon. Meanwhile, enjoy the autumn if you are in north and the spring if you're in the south. May it rain plenty of sun on you wherever you are.

12 comments:

  1. I learned to drive in a 1965 VW bug -- the only car we ever bought new. I loved it. Some of my friends had some of the vintage Volvos you pictured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Barbara! It's always nice to see a new face here :) I also love Beetles. I've had several during my life and just wish I could afford one now :)

      Delete
  2. Marvelous, wonderful photos! What beauties! But I am so sad that the Hennie H is still sick and needing a tow home. So hard for you, Val, with teaching. Here's hoping for brighter days - brighter in every sense of the word! (steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph! We have a glimmer of hope. One of our neighbours towed us back and his comment was that it couldn't be as bad as the yard says if the engine still runs. We've also made contact with a mechanic who says he is prepared to fix it, but we need to get it out first. That's quite a job, but we'll get there!

      Delete
  3. Hi Val - memories of cars ... and when they are on show - they are always special. Loved seeing them. That museum looks fascinating too. The barge is full of fascinating memorabilia - what a great attraction. I do hope the Hennie H is easily repairable once safely with the mechanic - good luck ... and cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these monument days, Hilary. Our World Harbour Days are part of that too, but we enjoyed seeing these different monuments for a change :)

      Delete
  4. I've never been a fan of driving, but paradoxically I do like looking at old cars. Can't figure that one out! That barge is wonderful but sorry to hear that Hennie H is laid up and hope she is soon able to get about under her own power again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as fond of driving as I used to be, Jenny, but maybe that's because I have to do too much these days. My father was a huge fan of the classic cars, so I suppose I've inherited that, and love seeing them still. Thanks for the good wishes about the HH. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  5. I, too, have a soft spot for classic cars. However, mine leans more toward the North American muscle cars of the 60’s and 70’s. But, I can certainly appreciate a peek at the older European models, as well!
    I am singularly impressed with the barge museum! There appears to be a wealth of history compressed into such a fitting (no pun intended) space...
    On another note, I hope the Hennie H ( she has always been a favourite of mine) returns home promptly and safely!
    Love to both you and Koos.
    Dale xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Dale, I always love seeing you here. It feels like the old days! Yes, these are all typically European cars, and I have a special fondness for the British classics...and of course my lovely Beetles! Thank you for your kind wishes about the Hennie H. She will rise again. We love her so she will be fixed one way or another! Love to you too, Dale xxx

      Delete
  6. Classic Cars a phrase that I have only just become used to you know, previously the phrase I knew was Vintage Cars.
    Your mention of the famous VW Beetle reminds me that in 1958 I was given a tour around the factory in Wolfsburg, Germany where they were made, it was the only time in my life that I visited a car manufacturing plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's once more than me, Mel :) I've never been to one, but I can imagine that was interesting at that stage! Nice to see you again!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)